✟63,697.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I hope that you are all well.

My brothers wedding is coming up and I have been asked to read something for the wedding.

I will be the only Christian in attendance and I would like to get the gospel message out.

Which biblical passages do you think would be best/most suitable and still get the okay from my non-believing brother and his fiancee?

God bless,

James

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello, I hope that you are all well.

My brothers wedding is coming up and I have been asked to read something for the wedding.

I will be the only Christian in attendance and I would like to get the gospel message out.

Which biblical passages do you think would be best/most suitable and still get the okay from my non-believing brother and his fiancee?

God bless,

James
Probably the standard 1 Corinthians verses about love.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hannah66
Upvote 0

jameshjr

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2021
Hinckley
✟63,697.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Im thinking about it now, but it doesn't communicate what I want to say.
However,I'm not there to preach, so how much of the gospel can I say with one reading? (Unless it is John 3:16, but that doesn't seem applicable to a wedding).
Now I'm thinking that I will pick a standard passage used for weddings and try to bring God up to people during the day

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
However,I'm not there to preach, so how much of the gospel can I say with one reading? (Unless it is John 3:16, but that doesn't seem applicable to a wedding).
Now I'm thinking that I will pick a standard passage used for weddings and try to bring God up to people during the day

I think that's a good idea: Pick a passage that's appropriate for weddings. This isn't really the time to preach. My daughter asked me to read a passage from the Song of Solomon at her wedding, and my husband and I used a different passage from that same book at our wedding.

Upvote 0

jameshjr

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2021
Hinckley
✟63,697.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I think that's a good idea: Pick a passage that's appropriate for weddings. This isn't really the time to preach. My daughter asked me to read a passage from the Song of Solomon at her wedding, and my husband and I used a different passage from that same book at our wedding.

I decided to read 1 Corinthians 13, but I have been informed that I cannot use this, as it is being read at my sister in law to be's brothers wedding, which is a few weeks before hers and my brothers.

I will definitely pick one that is appropriate for a wedding

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
1Co 13:4 Love suffereth long, and is kind; love envieth not; love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
1Co 13:5 doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not its own, is not provoked, taketh not account of evil;
1Co 13:6 rejoiceth not in unrighteousness, but rejoiceth with the truth;
1Co 13:7 beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Read it anyway. You can summarize it as follows.

The bible gives its own definition of love. It describes love as more that simple affection (which is important). It describes at the core a life of selflessness. A life that puts the interests of another above its own.

We live in an age of unprecedented selfishness. There are many forces that will assault a marriage. If a foundation can be built of selfless love, then a life can be built to withstand the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

Upvote 0

jameshjr

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2021
Hinckley
✟63,697.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
1Co 13:4 Love suffereth long, and is kind; love envieth not; love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
1Co 13:5 doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not its own, is not provoked, taketh not account of evil;
1Co 13:6 rejoiceth not in unrighteousness, but rejoiceth with the truth;
1Co 13:7 beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Read it anyway. You can summarize it as follows.

The bible gives its own definition of love. It describes love as more that simple affection (which is important). It describes at the core a life of selflessness. A life that puts the interests of another above its own.

We live in an age of unprecedented selfishness. There are many forces that will assault a marriage. If a foundation can be built of selfless love, then a life can be built to withstand the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

I would like to do that reading, but have been told that I can't by my soon to be sister in law

Upvote 0

Hannah66

Oct 6, 2006
✟49,161.00
Faith
Baptist
I think it's wonderful what you want to do. At my own wedding, i requested for the Gospel to be preached, which is was. i understand this isn't your wedding but you have the privilege to speak.
What about this verse in Ephesians ? -
  • Ephesians 4:2. "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." blessings to you and your family and prayers it will be a beautiful wedding day.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,747.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was asked to read Colossians 3:12-17 at my brother's wedding.
Then 20 years later, our nephew asked me to read the same passage at his.

Sorry, but a wedding should be primarily about the couple, and not a desire by one of the guests to "get the Gospel out there." Someone else might want to get Marxism/humanism/atheism out there; where would it end? It shouldn't be about what you want to say - the Lord can minister to anyone through his word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums