May 12, 2008
Georgia
Visit site
✟11,782.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
So, stick with me here because this could get interesting. Has anyone seen this movie? The basic key to the plot line is that these two friends have decided that if they are not married by the time they are 30, then they will marry each other.

Now, what if two Christians did this? Would it be wrong for two Christians to say, ok, if we have not met someone and gotten married by 30 (or any age), then we will marry each other.

Is their Biblical support for or against this? What do you think the repercussions would be of such an endeavor? Do you think they would be happy or do you think the marriage would be doomed to fail?

Last edited:

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
So, stick with me here because this could get interesting. Has anyone seen this movie? The basic key to the plot line is that these two friends have decided that if they are not married by the time they are 30, then they will marry each other.

Now, what if two Christians did this? Would it be wrong for two Christians to say, ok, if we have not met someone and gotten married by 30 (or any age), then we will marry each other.

Is their Biblical support for or against this? What do you think the repercussions would be of such an endeavor? Do you think they would be happy or do you think the marriage would be doomed to fail?

Well have they made a vow or an oath. So what does HIS WORD say about them?

Reactions: Supplanter
Upvote 0

Child of JC

Created to Love, and be Loved
Dec 31, 2004
Northern Ontario
Visit site
✟10,346.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Love is a choice we make. If it was a feeling, all marriages would be doomed. So if they sincerely stood before God, and made a vow that they were committed "until death", then the feelings would come, and some days they would go....just like the rest of us. ;)

Reactions: Supplanter
Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Come on, people. I need some answers here. :)
Um, I hate to say it but you got some dumb friends.

It seems to me that these two people place way too much importance on having to get married. Whether christian or not, they don't seem to know the value of marriage at all but is more of a score for them, a bench mark.

Just tell them both to grow up and be done with it!

Upvote 0

Supplanter

There is no charge for awesomeness.
May 12, 2008
Georgia
Visit site
✟11,782.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Um, I hate to say it but you got some dumb friends.

It seems to me that these two people place way too much importance on having to get married. Whether christian or not, they don't seem to know the value of marriage at all but is more of a score for them, a bench mark.

Just tell them both to grow up and be done with it!

So says the married man. :p

I never said they were friends. ;)

so, the score is now 2:1

Any scriptural support about why this would be inappropriate? And what if marriage is extremely important to them and they value it highly, something to enter into with much consideration and this deal was made with much considerration?

Would it be difernt if the age was 60?

Upvote 0

Supplanter

May 12, 2008
Georgia
Visit site
✟11,782.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I can just hear the conversation with your little girl -

Daddy, how did you and mommy meet?

Well honey, mommy and knew each other for a number of years and couldn't find anyone we loved enough to marry, so we decided to get married.

LOL

What if it isn't a settling scenario? These two people could already love each other, but for whatever reason can commit to marriage with one another right now, so they don;t want to hold each other back. And I would argue that the purpose of marriage is not to be so much in love with someone that you jut have to spend the rest of your life with them? What about all the arranged marriages in the Bible? They wouldn;t have met the purpose of marriage then.

Reactions: heron
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hockey_Fan

Man of Mystery
Jan 3, 2009
✟9,002.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
People get married for all sorts of reasons: Money, politics, family, etc. i once saw a movie (can't remember the name now) where a wealthy bachelor inherited multi millions from a deceased loved one, one condition was he got married by a certain date, and stay married for at least a year. He never could click with any gal and so he held auditions for a bride so that he could collect the money (and give her a share). It was quite hilarious.

Plenty of people get married strictly for immigration purposes. The two never even see one another except for the official business (usually at a courthouse) and divorce as soon as legally allowed. Probably not the stuff of romance novels, but, hey, it does happen.

I don't see any Biblical stipulations one way or the other, but you get what you put into it. So, if both sides want to be married badly enough, they can try to make it work. It DOES present the underlying theme that marriage is always superior to being single, which I personally do not agree with (topic for a separate thread).

Upvote 0

Supplanter

May 12, 2008
Georgia
Visit site
✟11,782.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
in the movie, she did love him. and he did love her but it was a brotherly love. it's one of those "dont know what you got till it's gone" movies. I love it.

I like the movie, too. I wonder, do we need all the bells and whistles of romantic love to have a happy marriage. Would not a Christ-like love be sufficient?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.