Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Because the reality is that nothing is under our control
Whether or not free will is a thing we have is a debate that will never end, as, for all intents and purposes, we could either legitimately have free will, or it is but an illusion of free will that we can't break free of due to being in the confines of the predestined web of choices we are going to make. Basically, we have no idea if free will is a real thing or not, and we'll probably never be sure of that.

One thing I had to learn which was very very hard for me is that all that I have is by HIS GRACE alone
Perhaps it would be hard for some to accept that all they did was predestined, either by the will of a deity or by the nature of time and the universe we live in. Personally, I don't really care, in most aspects. However, if a deity did exist which punished people for choices that they were predestined to make, that it knew they had no chance of not making, I would find moral issue with that. Not that it would deter me from worship; I am so cowardly, I would worship something I viewed as entirely evil for the sake of my own skin if it came down to it. As it were, I don't believe in any deities, so any moral issue is moot.

In short, I don't believe in deities, so any properties you apply to the one you worship have no relation to my willingness to worship it. Neither is viewing the world as with or without free will mutually inclusive with the existence of a deity or multiples of them.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And, of course, you assume that "word" in that passage refers to the 1611 Bible and nothing else.
It pertains to the word of God, as the [prevailing] word of God existed in that particular year.

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was asking KWCrazy, who said,
Human parents can combine an egg and a sperm cell to continue (not originate) life (since both cells are living). The fertilized cell bonds with the uterine wall and a pregnancy begins. That's the physiology of it. The soul is created by God. "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you." Every living human being, born and unborn, is unique. They are endowed by their Creator with a unique spirit. Ultimately, we have one Father; He who resides in Heaven.

• Agree
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So you believe because you heard it. And that trumps evidence, in your mind. OK, thanks for letting us know.
I was asked how God created the universe: He spoke.

I was then asked how I knew that: by faith.

I was then asked how I got that faith: the Bible.

Anything else you guys want to ridicule?

I'll be more than happy to supply you with answers, if I can.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I was asked how God created the universe: He spoke.

I was then asked how I knew that: by faith.

I was then asked how I got that faith: the Bible.

Anything else you guys want to ridicule?

I'll be more than happy to supply you with answers, if I can.

Tell us about the evidence you used to decide to have faith in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'll pass.

It's hard, I know.

In my case, I like the results that come from so many lives being turned around by the message of the Bible; it does stand up to historical evaluations; and I have been instructed by the Lord to follow Christ, and where else can I learn about Christ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you believe because you heard it. And that trumps evidence, in your mind. OK, thanks for letting us know.
Not all have heard the VOICE of THE SON of GOD

It's GOD's call alone
Whoever's eyes and ears HE chooses to open to the TRUTH of HIS WORD

Faith does come from hearing

What did you think was the work and the call of all the prophets?

If today you hear HIS VOICE...harden not your hearts do you think

HE said HE would keep sending "prophets"

Not that there really are prophets but more witnesses who testify and hold to THE TESTIMONY of JESUS

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah it kinda does

It's why HE said

"In them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled"

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But you haven't answered the question. "Faith" is merely a description of how you are acting with regard to the Bible. You haven't shared with us WHY you have that faith.

And it can't be based on evidence. Because you defend your faith even if the evidence says otherwise.

So why do you choose to place your faith in something without evidence? Or, perhaps, in spite of the evidence?
What "evidence" would say otherwise?

Men who haven't heard HIS WORD/VOICE/SPIRIT?

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whether or not free will is a thing we have is a debate that will never end, as, for all intents and purposes, we could either legitimately have free will, or it is but an illusion of free will that we can't break free of due to being in the confines of the predestined web of choices we are going to make. Basically, we have no idea if free will is a real thing or not, and we'll probably never be sure of that.

God saw every inclination of the heart and the mind of man was turned to do evil and it grieved GOD that HE has made man. (Genesis)

And every man did what was "right" in his own eyes (judges)
FREE WILL

If you do what is right will you not be accepted. But if you do not , sin is crouching at your door it desires to have you but you must master it

PsychoSarah said:
Perhaps it would be hard for some to accept that all they did was predestined, either by the will of a deity or by the nature of time and the universe we live in. Personally, I don't really care, in most aspects. However, if a deity did exist which punished people for choices that they were predestined to make, that it knew they had no chance of not making, I would find moral issue with that.
You shouldn't. HE knew from
the beginning that Adam/mankind/we would fall and yet HE still created us?

Why?

Because while HE foreknew our fall GOD who can see into one day a thousand years, also foreknew more importantly THE VICTORY in HIS SON. HE knew HE would have a set apart people called by HIS NSME who would glorify HIM as GOD

PdychoSarah said:
Not that it would deter me from worship; I am so cowardly, I would worship something I viewed as entirely evil for the sake of my own skin if it came down to it. As it were, I don't believe in any deities, so any moral issue is moot.

In short, I don't believe in deities, so any properties you apply to the one you worship have no relation to my willingness to worship it. Neither is viewing the world as with or without free will mutually inclusive with the existence of a deity or multiples of them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Not all have heard the VOICE of THE SON of GOD

It's GOD's call alone
Whoever's eyes and ears HE chooses to open to the TRUTH of HIS WORD

Faith does come from hearing

What did you think was the work and the call of all the prophets?

If today you hear HIS VOICE...harden not your hearts do you think

HE said HE would keep sending "prophets"

Not that there really are prophets but more witnesses who testify and hold to THE TESTIMONY of JESUS

I'm a believer, but this kind of evangelism via Jedi Mind Tricks is not my cup of tea.

Reactions: Bungle_Bear
Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Jedi mind tricks:

Sir,

Your recent back and forth exchange with AV was everything short of being clear that you were....a believer

What exactly was your point in drilling AV on faith?

I like faith to be clear and aware of what it is based on. I also think that faith based attacks on reality are . . . counter productive.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.