Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Video Talk

2 Timothy 1:3-12 NIV

“I thank God, whom I serve, as my ancestors did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy. I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also.

“For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. So do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner. Rather, join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God.

“He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet this is no cause for shame because I know whom I have believed and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day.”

Now only verse 12 is on my Scripture quilt, but the context is important here to the overall message being conveyed, and so that is why I shared it. For I had a grandmother like is described here but I never knew her since she died when I was only 2 years old. But 18 years ago I acquired her journals, for a time, and then I got to know my grandmother. And I found that her love for Jesus was like mine, as was her passion for the Lord and for ministry and for the gospel, so I connected with her in her writings.

And many times in my life I needed to be reminded to fan into flame the gift of God within me which is God, and his salvation, and eternal life, and the Holy Spirit, and the gifts of the Spirit, etc. And many times I needed to be reminded that God does not give us a spirit of fear (timidity) but of power and of love and of a sound mind (self-discipline). For I battled with fear and being intimidated by other humans and I had to learn to overcome that and to not fear them or what they might do to me or say about me.

And I had to accept God’s sovereignty over my life and to accept that suffering is part of the Christian life, and that especially I will suffer if I am walking in holiness and in righteousness, and if I am sharing the truth of the gospel and not the diluted gospel that so many are teaching today. And I had to believe that where God has called me that he will equip me and he will strengthen and help me on this journey despite all opposition. And so I must go forward with his calling and never be afraid.

Caution: This link may contain ads beyond my control

Should I Not Preach Jesus

An Original Work / July 4, 2013
Based off 1 Corinthians 9:16-10:13

Woe to me should I not preach Jesus.
I’m compelled to preach the full gospel.
I make myself a slave to ev’ryone
To win their hearts to Christ.
All this I do for my Lord Jesus,
And for the sake of His Name;
Do it for the sake of His gospel,
So that I, its blessings gain.

Scripture notates the sins of others;
Written down for us as examples
To keep us from setting our hearts
On evil as did those of old.
Do not worship other gods of man;
Do not give your hearts to them;