Joel 2:28-29 ESV

“And it shall come to pass afterward,
that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh;
your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
your old men shall dream dreams,
and your young men shall see visions.
Even on the male and female servants
in those days I will pour out my Spirit.”

Now, in the video talk I actually quote from Acts 2 where Peter quoted from this passage in Joel, because what Peter described on the Day of Pentecost was the fulfillment of this prophecy in Joel 2.

Now, this is the situation. Jesus Christ had died on the cross for our sins, and he was resurrected from the dead, and he ascended back to heaven to be with God the Father, and from there he sent his Holy Spirit to indwell his true followers. Now they had had the Holy Spirit with them, among them, but they had not had the Holy Spirit living within them as we have when we believe in Jesus Christ to be Lord and Savior of our lives. So they needed to now be indwelt with the Holy Spirit as we are who believe in Jesus Christ.

And when they were filled with the Holy Spirit they began to speak in other languages as the Spirit gave them utterance. And these were known languages because the people heard them speaking in their own languages. For they were hearing Jesus’ followers telling them in their own languages the mighty works of God. But some people mocked them and accused them of being drunk. So Peter spoke up and he said they were not drunk but what they were doing was fulfilling the prophecy of Joel (in Joel 2).

And what was the prophecy of Joel? It was that in the last days that God would pour out his Spirit on all flesh, and God’s sons and daughters would prophesy, and some of them would dream dreams and see visions, etc. And what does it mean to prophesy? Well, it can mean to do future telling, but that is not what was taking place here. For it can also mean to proclaim the excellencies of God who called us out of darkness into his wonderful light, which is what all followers of Jesus are to do (1 Peter 2:9).

And so I would encourage you today to listen to the Spirit’s voice, and to submit to the Lord Jesus, and to let God speak to you through his word and through his Spirit, and then proclaim the works of God and the gospel of our salvation, and encourage one another with the words of the Lord from the Scriptures and with spiritual songs and hymns. For this is what we are all called to do, as the body of Christ builds one another up in the faith to maturity in Christ as each part does its work. For we are all necessary!

[Matt 5:13-16; Matt 28:18-20; Jn 4:31-38; Jn 13:13-17; Jn 14:12; Acts 1:8; Acts 2:42-47; Acts 26:18; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-17; Rom. 10:14-15; Rom 12:1-8; 1 Co 12:1-31; Eph 1:22; Eph 2:19-22; Eph 4:1-16; Eph 5:17-30; Col 1:18; Col 2:19; Col 3:16; Heb 3:13; Heb 10:23-31; 1 Pet. 2:4-9,21]

Caution: This link may contain ads beyond my control

Oh, to Be Like Thee, Blessed Redeemer

Lyrics by Thomas O. Chisholm, 1897
Music by W. J. Kirkpatrick, 1897

Oh, to be like Thee! blessèd Redeemer,
This is my constant longing and prayer;
Gladly I’ll forfeit all of earth’s treasures,
Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear.

Oh, to be like Thee! full of compassion,
Loving, forgiving, tender and kind,
Helping the helpless, cheering the fainting,
Seeking the wandering sinner to find.