Must Catholics believe that ensoulment happens at the moment of conception?

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
He is gorgeous if I do say so myself. I got him for Christmas from a lady at Church about 6 years ago.

He's not a fighter though. He loves everyone. Kids, other animals, you name it.

I got him a several other cats that were fosters till I gave up the ghost & just decided they are staying. Along with two dogs.
Bless you Michie for what you're doing for animals. :thumbsup:

My fighting kitty even got into a window fight with a kitten today. ^_^ Neighbours who lost their cat because a car ran over her :mad: got a new kitten and my kitty spotted her. More fights to come when the kitten is allowed outside, I'm afraid.

Upvote 0

Rebekka

Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I mean, I had very close friends at one time...and then we grew up and I just...didn't care to replace them. I'd rather meet a stranger with an interesting story than reunite with an old pal.
I didn't see your edit - hm, I have the same, except that I'm not fond of meeting strangers, either. ^_^ (Well, sometimes they can cheer me up, but I'm not too fond of making new friends - but perfect strangers are alright sometimes.)

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Straying off topic is a natural law, you know.

Where would we be if God demanded single-celled organisms to stay on yopic through generations and milenia?

I'm an extrovert in that I like parties...or, I like to party. I don't really care for wedding recptions and things like that where I'm expected to converse with people. Maybe I'm a former extrovert, is there such a thing? Then again, I don't have any difficulty speaking to people and I am gernerally able to speak with confidence about what I know and able to ask questions without a sense of shame when I don't.

I'm interested in strange things that few people are interested in, so I'm thrilled when I find someone with some common ground.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,773,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bless you Michie for what you're doing for animals. :thumbsup:

My fighting kitty even got into a window fight with a kitten today. ^_^ Neighbours who lost their cat because a car ran over her :mad: got a new kitten and my kitty spotted her. More fights to come when the kitten is allowed outside, I'm afraid.
^_^

Neutered?

I got a cat named Bruiser that was the meanest guy around. Other cats saw them & they actually evacuated their bowels!

He was driving me insane with his high testosterone levels.

Snip. Snip.

Bruiser is now a big teddy bear & much happier.

He plays now! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rebekka

Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
My twin sister is very pessimistic. We often have long discussions on the topic. Obviously we had the exact same childhood. But there is the argument that some people are gifted in some ways and some in others. She is much much stronger than me in numerous ways but very pessimistic.
Where I will say look at the good that came from even a great suffering. She will ask what value there is when there was such pain. And I can see where she is coming from. But she has handled much more personal suffering than me as we grew older and out of childhood (Brain Surgery, MS, unfair treatment for reasons..) and still chooses to do good because it is good, but remains pessimistic about the nature of the world. Very much it is like for her part she will do what is good not matter how horrid she finds the world. Almost a quote from her..minus our occasional colorful coal region language that would be censored.

So it could be asked, isn't her choice of good a greater act of faith than my doing what I do driven by hope? For a pessimist to choose good for its own sake and nature even while they feel how they do about the nature of things...can be said to be an act of faith even when they lack that gift of hope that makes it easier for others. And as such is a very deep act of love.
I'd love to meet your sister, she sounds like someone I would enjoy talking to, even if it would depress me. How is she doing now by the way?

I'm not someone who does a lot of good, but I do some good, and for the same reason as your sister - not because I hope but because one has to do the right thing because there already is so much corruption in this world. And that's also a reason why I don't do a lot of evil - it's better to do good on top of not doing evil, but my pessimism gets in the way fairly often, but at least the not doing evil part is taken care of, especially in the grander things (I do have a lot of horrible thoughts though). Well, I think everyone here has that covered - I presume no one here is a mass murderer. :sorry:

There's much more to be said on this but I don't want to be a downer, Mike loves his parties apparently, and also, my point of view is not exactly the catholic one.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
My sister is doing well with her illness but she found out this week her job will be eliminated in Jan. But on the bright side the severance package will be nice and she did not like the job all that much. But it was secure and a good pay.

But her health is good and that is always her main concern. She and I had a long talk this week about how good can come out of the loss of the job but also how much it sucked.

Upvote 0

Rebekka

Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Maybe I'm a former extrovert, is there such a thing?
I think that's possible. I was quite an extrovert (though very shy) in kindergarten. And I was opinionated as a teen. Now I hardly open my mouth in social settings, it's not worth it. I rarely agree with others and I'm outnumbered and not confident so it's hard to win an argument. Also, whenever I do speak my mind I seem to offend people, so I keep my more controversial opinions to myself - and that includes very tame topics, like the weather.

I'm interested in strange things that few people are interested in, so I'm thrilled when I find someone with some common ground.
Me too. When I met someone who understood me, I married him rightaway. :D

Upvote 0

Rebekka

Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
^_^

Neutered?

I got a cat named Bruiser that was the meanest guy around. Other cats saw them & they actually evacuated their bowels!

He was driving me insane with his high testosterone levels.

Snip. Snip.

Bruiser is now a big teddy bear & much happier.

He plays now! :)
My cats are neutered, but one is still VERY territorial! She peed on my husband's desk (on his papers - ewwww) and on the floor this week because she was attacked by a neighbour's cat the day before.
She comes with a manual - we got her from the shelter and we don't know what happened to her in the first weeks of her life (pre-shelter) but she's not like most other cats. Love her just the same and wouldn't miss her for the world.

Sorry for having taken over your thread, Mike. :sorry:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,773,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My cats are neutered, but one is still VERY territorial! She peed on my husband's desk (on his papers - ewwww) and on the floor this week because she was attacked by a neighbour's cat the day before.
She comes with a manual - we got her from the shelter and we don't know what happened to her in the first weeks of her life (pre-shelter) but she's not like most other cats. Love her just the same and wouldn't miss her for the world.

Sorry for having taken over your thread, Mike. :sorry:
Animals can suffer the same mental & emotional issues as people. They seem to carry bad experiences with them just as we do.

Anyway, You guys carry on. Interesting topic.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The point of the Catholic doctrine is that we respect life from the moment of conception to the moment of death, and this should not be affected by our opinion of when ensoulment takes place.

Peace

No doubt, but that's not what this thread is about. It's about whether a Catholic must believe ensoulment and conception are simultaneous and cats.

Upvote 0

underheaven

Jul 19, 2011
in a caravan in the sky
✟1,218.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Private
:D

Not to come off as suicidal here (no worries, I'm not) but on most days I really don't care if my next breath will be my last - and I'm not in a good place with God at all. But I think I will never be good enough for heaven anyway (narrow gate and all that), and also, I feel trapped because if there is a hell then I resent not having had the chance to opt out of the game in the first place.

I'm at my happiest when I'm in nature and there are no humans around. I appreciate God's creation immensely, I really do, except for the people. :sorry: Which explains why keeping the two main commandmends is practically impossible for me.
Well Rebekka that makes me sad,that you would think that you arenot good enough.That is the sign of a very exigente ame[soul ],the kind that Jesus loved most. Have you read 'The Jesus I never Knew' ,by Phillip Yancey',and 'What is so amazing about Grace'?,by the same author ?
Very gentle,very healing.He lost his dad when he was a year old, which left a mark on him,which was difficult to heal......Our parents always leave marks on us for good or bad..., but with love ,prayer,and patience we can and do get there. :hug::D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums