Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Every time I read something like this, I feel like I need a standard post of some type that I can cut-and-paste in here.....something along the lines of, "One more example why Islam and Western culture are utterly and completely incompatible and why they will never, never, never co-exist peacefully".

Muslims cannot assimilate into Western societies. Everybody knows it, but nobody dares to mention it because of Political Correctness. It's the 900-pound gorilla siiting in the middle of the living room floor. Everybody knows he's there, but nobody dares disturb him....they just carefully tiptoe around him for fear of disturbing him, and then they go on insisting that he isn't there, he doesn't exist, everything's just fine here!

Nevertheless, you can pretend that all of this doesn't exist all you want, but underneath it all, everybody knows the score.

Upvote 0

Pogue

left CF, please see profile for further details
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2006
http://www.thesonscafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15
✟59,840.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
Every time I read something like this, I feel like I need a standard post of some type that I can cut-and-paste in here.....something along the lines of, "One more example why Islam and Western culture are utterly and completely incompatible and why they will never, never, never co-exist peacefully".

Muslims cannot assimilate into Western societies. Everybody knows it, but nobody dares to mention it because of Political Correctness. It's the 900-pound gorilla siiting in the middle of the living room floor. Everybody knows he's there, but nobody dares disturb him....they just carefully tiptoe around him for fear of disturbing him, and then they go on insisting that he isn't there, he doesn't exist, everything's just fine here!

Nevertheless, you can pretend that all of this doesn't exist all you want, but underneath it all, everybody knows the score.

I disagree- I would accept that some Muslims cannot assimilate into Western societies (the ones in the OP being good examples) in the same way that some people just don't fit into society, but on account of their personalities rather than their choice of religion. Many Muslims are part of Western society and culture, having either lived in the West most or all of their lives, and/or converted to Islam. I think it's an unfair generalisation to say that no Muslims can be part of Western society based on the actions of just two people.

Upvote 0

DharmaInitiative

Dec 2, 2006
✟7,674.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Why do you say that? I felt quite happy to see the response of the school in universally apologizing and condmening it. They didn't try to defend or justify the students actions. I think, if anything, this is a sign that Islam is and can move into the mainstream.

I remember when I was in highschool, someone spray pained swasticas on the wall of my Catholic high school. Of course the school condmned it and took disiplinary action. If you read about this incident would you say "Oh, look, further proof that Catholics hate Jews and will never be able to live in a modern pluarlitic society."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why do you say that? I felt quite happy to see the response of the school in universally apologizing and condmening it. They didn't try to defend or justify the students actions. I think, if anything, this is a sign that Islam is and can move into the mainstream.

I remember when I was in highschool, someone spray pained swasticas on the wall of my Catholic high school. Of course the school condmned it and took disiplinary action. If you read about this incident would you say "Oh, look, further proof that Catholics hate Jews and will never be able to live in a modern pluarlitic society."

Personally, I think you're comparing apples and oranges, but you're entitled to your opinion.

I still stand by what I said. Muslims will never assimilate into Western society. They will either transform Western society into an Islamic one, Western society will expel them, or neither one will happen and there will be constant strife and friction between the two.

You can't mix oil and water.

Upvote 0

DharmaInitiative

Dec 2, 2006
✟7,674.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Personally, I think you're comparing apples and oranges, but you're entitled to your opinion.

I still stand by what I said. Muslims will never assimilate into Western society. They will either transform Western society into an Islamic one, Western society will expel them, or neither one will happen and there will be constant strife and friction between the two.

You can't mix oil and water.
They used to say that the Irish could never assimilate into American culture. If you read historical accounts, people honest to God believed that the Irish could never be anything but backwards supersticious criminals. And yet who says that today?

They also thought the same thing when the Italians came. And yet, somehow they assimilated.

They also thought the Jews could never be part of Western society. I mean, with all their "evil eye" and backwards ways, with their hatred of Christians, with their conspiracies to take over the financial workd, how could they ever, ever live along side Christians....and yet....they do!

Give it 50 years. Muslims will intigrate. And people will be crying about how the Hindus or whatever are incapable of living in Western society and can never assiliate. And my children or grandchildren will get on message boards and say, "Wait a second, people used to say that about the Muslims, and look at them now." And your grandchildren will say, "That's totally different, you can't compare them. The [xyz new immigrant] is not like the Muslim or the Jews or the Irish or the Italians. They really are different than us."

And thus the cycle will contine. =)

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Iwas disappointed that they tried to blame the student's behaviour on being influenced by some soldiers in Iraq doing the same thing to the Koran. Radical Islamics have been descecrating the bible long before the soldiers may have done anything to the Koran.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faerieevaH

lucky wife
Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Iwas disappointed that they tried to blame the student's behaviour on being influenced by some soldiers in Iraq doing the same thing to the Koran. Radical Islamics have been descecrating the bible long before the soldiers may have done anything to the Koran.

Doesn't mean that some recent depiction of what the soldiers did didn't give them the inspiration for this stunt. It doesn't excuse it though. Inspiration is different than being the cause of something. The rumours about what the soldiers did can have inspired this, but it's not the cause of this. The cause of this is a lack of respect.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They used to say that the Irish could never assimilate into American culture. If you read historical accounts, people honest to God believed that the Irish could never be anything but backwards supersticious criminals. And yet who says that today?

They also thought the same thing when the Italians came. And yet, somehow they assimilated.

They also thought the Jews could never be part of Western society. I mean, with all their "evil eye" and backwards ways, with their hatred of Christians, with their conspiracies to take over the financial workd, how could they ever, ever live along side Christians....and yet....they do!

And if you believe that, good for you.....I guess.

Give it 50 years. Muslims will intigrate. And people will be crying about how the Hindus or whatever are incapable of living in Western society and can never assiliate. And my children or grandchildren will get on message boards and say, "Wait a second, people used to say that about the Muslims, and look at them now." And your grandchildren will say, "That's totally different, you can't compare them. The [xyz new immigrant] is not like the Muslim or the Jews or the Irish or the Italians. They really are different than us."

And thus the cycle will contine. =)

Let's just hope that nobody's grandchildren end up like the girl below:
index.php

Upvote 0

Number 81

ಠ_ಠ
Mar 31, 2003
✟2,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Consider how we fit in with the protestant world: They call us Mary worshipers, pagans, they say we worship the pope, and that we don't use the bible.
I see the same things on OBOB, people saying that Muslims are nothing but violent bombers and anarchists.
I have never met a Muslim who has given me the choice to convert or die, I have met Muslims who try to live peacefully in America only to be harassed by ignorant people.
I've heard people quote the Koran as saying that all infidels must die, I have heard Muslims interpret this has an internal war, and not a physical one.
All I'm saying is that we are not Muslims, we should not speak on behalf of ALL Muslims in the world. You might as well be accepting what a anti-Catholic protestant says about the Catholic Church as fact.

Upvote 0

Gentle

Sep 28, 2005
Ontario
✟2,234.00
Faith
Hindu
Consider how we fit in with the protestant world: They call us Mary worshipers, pagans, they say we worship the pope, and that we don't use the bible.
I see the same things on OBOB, people saying that Muslims are nothing but violent bombers and anarchists.
I have never met a Muslim who has given me the choice to convert or die, I have met Muslims who try to live peacefully in America only to be harassed by ignorant people.
I've heard people quote the Koran as saying that all infidels must die, I have heard Muslims interpret this has an internal war, and not a physical one.
All I'm saying is that we are not Muslims, we should not speak on behalf of ALL Muslims in the world. You might as well be accepting what a anti-Catholic protestant says about the Catholic Church as fact.
It's nice to see people who can think and not just live in the passions ready to be outraged by every little thing, and possessing perspective.
thank you, it's just these things that give one hope for the word. Bless you

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.