Mumford & Sons banjoist leaves band so he can speak freely about politics and ‘live not by lies’

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,688,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Citing an Aleksander Solzhenitsyn essay titled 'Live Not By Lies,' the banjo player described why his integrity to be able to speak freely on matters of importance to him had to outweigh the great personal value of remaining in Mumford & Sons.

LONDON, June 25, 2021 (LifeSiteNews) — Winston Marshall, a founding member of the folk-rock band Mumford & Sons, announced on Thursday that he was leaving the group because he refuses to “self-censor” in a face of lies.

After recounting tremendous memories he has shared with his beloved bandmates, the British banjoist and lead guitarist recalled “the hornets’ nest” that was triggered in March when he sent what he presumed to be an “innocuous” tweet to journalist Andy Ngo.

Ngo is author of the New York Times Bestseller Unmasked: Inside Antifa’s Radical Plan to Destroy Democracy. According to one review, the book is a “riveting exposé of the background, structure and workings of the collectivist militant group, set on destroying capitalism and America’s history, culture, and institutions.”

“Congratulations @MrAndyNgo,” Marshall wrote in a now-deleted tweet. “Finally had the time to read your important book. You’re a brave man.”

The “cancel culture” Twitter mob became activated and in within a day the gesture elicited “tens of thousands of angry retweets and comments.”

“I failed to foresee that my commenting on a book critical of the Far-Left could be interpreted as approval of the equally abhorrent Far-Right,” he wrote.

Continued below.
Mumford & Sons banjoist leaves band so he can speak freely about politics and ‘live not by lies’

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The conversation about him has been interesting. On the one hand, people are applauding him for basically giving up his career to defeat the censors, but on the other people are criticizing him saying he already made his millions so he's not really risking as much as, say, Jack the public school teacher or Jill in accounting.

I don't know, what do you think?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,688,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The conversation about him has been interesting. On the one hand, people are applauding him for basically giving up his career to defeat the censors, but on the other people are criticizing him saying he already made his millions so he's not really risking as much as, say, Jack the public school teacher or Jill in accounting.

I don't know, what do you think?
Sure he is probably more financially secure. But no matter. He spoke the truth. You can’t win when it comes to the internet court of opinion. There have been others that lost their jobs and money was raised for them. So at this point it’s just more people need to speak up and stop cowering from the woke bullies.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sure he is probably more financially secure. But no matter. He spoke the truth. You can’t win when it comes to the internet court of opinion. There have been others that lost their jobs and money was raised for them. So at this point it’s just more people need to speak up and stop cowering from the woke bullies.

That's a good point, regardless of what he gave up he's still setting an example of putting truth above money. That's not nothing.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,688,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I applaud him for reaching out to Andy Ngo and quitting the band to comment on the utter [Must bless] that are Antifa. I think that eventually the day is going to come when American patriots have to decide that they've had enough of Antifa and get their firearms ready for a showdown.

It needs to happen, because these hard left bullies are basically being sponsored by the democrat party and are being bailed out of jail by their politicians, including vice president Kamala Harris.

Upvote 0