Jan 12, 2004
Greeley, CO
✟16,206.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Greeting Canadians!

I have been thinking and praying for an opportunity of moving/immigrating to Canada in the next few years. I have never been up there before so could you kindly share how living situation there like? such as housing, lifestyle, weather, and whatnot. I would probably also be looking for jobs or at least looking into the job market in the near future. Is it hard to find a job in Canada for US graduates?

Please feel free to share about your country to me in anywhere you like to educate me. I mean I have been looking some info online about Canada, but it will be great to hear directly from you Canadians :)

Many thanks in advance!
Lia

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
First off, you should know that immigrating to Canada is not a quick, easy, cheap option, even for Americans. I've heard it costs up to $5000 for fees and such, and can take several years for final approval.

With that caveat, I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Housing is not really any different than you might get down there. Vancouver has a fairly high cost of living in that respect, but that's primarily in the downtown area; getting a place more out in the 'burbs is considerably cheaper, and still allows easy access to the city amenities through transit.

Weather-wise, since you're from the LA area, expect things to be a little cooler in the winter months. If you stick to the West coast (Vancouver), though, it doesn't get all that bad. The prairies and farther East can get pretty chilly, though.

Lifestyle will vary depending on where you go. From west to east, Vancouver is sort of a Seattle/San Francisco relaxed hippy-liberal kind of vibe. The prairies are more rural and conservative. Toronto is more of a rat-race kind of place that is self-important due to being the population and financial centre of the country. Quebec is almost like a country of its own, but it's a great atmosphere. The East coast I'm not so familiar with, but it's a good, decent, down-home kind of place. Those are generalizations, and I'm sure others will disagree with parts of it, but it's a basic description.

I have no idea about the current job market, especially for US grads. Although your qualifications would be honoured, and if you are a trained and educated professional, I'm sure there would be work for you. In what sort of field were you hoping to find work?

Anyway, you won't find a whole lot of differences between the US and Canada. I like to think we do a good number of things slightly better than the States, but I'm probably just biased.

Upvote 0

desert_island_1

Be Transformed - Romans 12:2
Mar 4, 2004
Alberta
✟20,541.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Umm.. I can tell you a bit about Calgary.

Housing - Housing is very expensive here compared to even a few years ago (housing costs have increased by about 40% in the past year)

Lifestyle - Calgary has been called the 'most americanized city in Canada' serves us right with all the oil and gas jobs that have been created here. Alot of the people living here are Americans.

Weather - Hot summers (30 C as a high, usually between 20-26 C well into October) and Cold winters (usually between -15 C and -20 C but can dip as low as -35 C)

The job market here is okay. There are alot of places hiring (actually, almost everywhere) so if you have a degree, it will do you well.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk further.

Kristy

Upvote 0

cavymom

Jan 25, 2005
✟16,675.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As far as weather is concerned it really depends on where you live in Canada... around Vancouver/ Vancouver Island it's a boreal rainforest so there is alot of rain and mild temps. Almost everywhere else there is quite a cold winter with lots of snow and sometimes extremely cold snaps that need very good clothing to keep you warm (winter boots, parka, mittens, scarves, etc). And if you live in the maritimes it gets the tail end of hurricanes so they get pretty stormy, foggy, they've had some pretty crazy storms with blackouts and stuff. It really depends on where you are going.

You didn't mention what kind of work you will be looking for. There are alot of opportunities here for employment... but before you come up you might want to check to see if your credentials are valid in Canada, sometimes credentials from other countries are not recognized here and that means re-educating yourself and gaining the credentials you need from Canadian institutions. I've heard of people that came here assuming that they would find work and were told that they need to go back to school here first.

Also housing costs in different areas vary... but availability is also an issue. In some places where there are job-booms happening there are housing shortages. And with some jobs you get here they pay housing allowances or have housing set aside for thier employees... it all depends on what you do for a living and where you decide to go.

Make sure you do your research before you come to Canada, and we have something here called "Welcome Wagon" that you can look up in the local phone books that you can call and they will bring you a little info pack and try to answer questions for you or help you find your way around your new community. So once you move here you can call them. Hope that helps some.

Upvote 0
M

mebby02

l live near vancouver bc we don't get cold weather compared to other parts of canada. We get quite a bit of rain but its not that cold here. The coldest l have ever been in is -10 and thats not as bad as other parts of canada. Its expensive in vancouver cause its a huge city and has a lot of things to see l haven't even seen all of it yet. Other parts of canada get colder then us and get a lot of snow l hope this answers your question and people are nice here as well.

Upvote 0

desert_island_1

Mar 4, 2004
Alberta
✟20,541.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
As far as weather is concerned it really depends on where you live in Canada... around Vancouver/ Vancouver Island it's a boreal rainforest so there is alot of rain and mild temps. Almost everywhere else there is quite a cold winter with lots of snow and sometimes extremely cold snaps that need very good clothing to keep you warm (winter boots, parka, mittens, scarves, etc). And if you live in the maritimes it gets the tail end of hurricanes so they get pretty stormy, foggy, they've had some pretty crazy storms with blackouts and stuff. It really depends on where you are going.

You didn't mention what kind of work you will be looking for. There are alot of opportunities here for employment... but before you come up you might want to check to see if your credentials are valid in Canada, sometimes credentials from other countries are not recognized here and that means re-educating yourself and gaining the credentials you need from Canadian institutions. I've heard of people that came here assuming that they would find work and were told that they need to go back to school here first.

Also housing costs in different areas vary... but availability is also an issue. In some places where there are job-booms happening there are housing shortages. And with some jobs you get here they pay housing allowances or have housing set aside for thier employees... it all depends on what you do for a living and where you decide to go.

Make sure you do your research before you come to Canada, and we have something here called "Welcome Wagon" that you can look up in the local phone books that you can call and they will bring you a little info pack and try to answer questions for you or help you find your way around your new community. So once you move here you can call them. Hope that helps some.
Most American Schools are recognized though so you shouldn't have too much problems but I agree, you should check and make sure that you are credited for the schooling you have done.

Kristy

Upvote 0

heffalump_hunter

Senior Veteran
May 1, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Visit site
✟13,635.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I live in Edmonton, Alberta. I think someone mentioned Calgary already, and Edmonton is similar to Calgary, just a bit further south by 3 hours drive. The housing has got expensive, but I suppose that's relative to where you're living now. You're not likely going to buy much for less than $250 - 300 k.

Like Calgary, we're riding a oil boom and the only provincial government in Canada with a complete debt free status. It's colder up this aways than even Calgary. We get two seasons (cold and mosquito). But it really isn't that bad. ;)

If you are a professional, then there are lots of job opportunities in Alberta province, with Calgary and Edmonton being the two largest cities.

Calgary is nice in that it tends to get more warm weather in the winter and they are close to the rocky mountains. On a clear day you can see them out your window. Edmonton is a little further from the mountains, but have a wonderful river valley park system that is one of the largest in Canada.

Take your pick in Alberta, it's the richest province in Canada as long as the oil prices stay high. ^_^

Upvote 0

Lia

Be Thou My Vision
Jan 12, 2004
Greeley, CO
✟16,206.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for all the responses so far, people! Keep them coming :)

Yes I am a professional - I've done work mostly in graphic designs work and a little bit in sales/procurement division. My degree was in computer/business field... but in the future, I'm thinking to go into the media industry (newspaper, magazine and the such), not sure yet though.

I've been browsing the official immigration website for Canada and doing some research. I hope to fill out some application forms soon.

Upvote 0

desert_island_1

Mar 4, 2004
Alberta
✟20,541.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Thanks for all the responses so far, people! Keep them coming :)

Yes I am a professional - I've done work mostly in graphic designs work and a little bit in sales/procurement division. My degree was in computer/business field... but in the future, I'm thinking to go into the media industry (newspaper, magazine and the such), not sure yet though.

I've been browsing the official immigration website for Canada and doing some research. I hope to fill out some application forms soon.
Calgary would be a really good place for you to come then. There are so many companies here looking for people in that field! (But once again, make sure you have some type of employment before you come up here)

Kristy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JayCdn

May 14, 2006
CowTown
Visit site
✟7,978.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
Calgary, Alberta is absolutely crying for people to take jobs. A totally uneducated person around here can easily get a job paying $12/hour. On the flip side housing is getting more expensive. Frankly all of these responses mean very little unless you know where you are going to live and it would be helpful to know what you are into. Music? Live theatre? Film? Sports of some kind?

Personally I love Calgary and I would be happy to live here or near here for the rest of my life.

Upvote 0