Movies?

B

blythe_ann

I ask because my husband and I loooove us some movies. We have a small, cheap theater here in town that we spend a lot of time at. Usually once or twice a month we go to the movie they are playing and I get my favorite chai tea (it doubles as a coffee shop, how cool is that?) We also have a big TV and watch a lot of Netflix movies there.

We watch all sorts, but comedy and action are the most often agreed upon. I don't like bloody movies or movies that are obsessed with sex (which knocks out a lot, I'll admit), and my husband doesn't like movies where someone is engaged and then ends up falling in love with someone else (which again, knocks out a lot).

We just recently watched Prince of Persia, which we both thought was good, except the romance aspect was a little rushed and um... Hollywood, but we don't think too hard about movies, we just enjoy the experience.

We also saw Shrek the 4th, which was pretty good.

Upvote 0

Speculative

Senior Veteran
May 29, 2007
Seattle
✟19,750.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My wife likes really corny movies like Princess Protection Program or Cinderella Story and stuff like that.

I like a wide range of movies and it's hard to say exactly what type because it can be pretty much any genre, as long as it's good.

We rarely watch a movie together, unless we go to the theater with the kids. Sometimes we have to split up. She usually goes to a kiddie movie with my son and I'll take my teenage daughter to something good. Lately, we've done pretty well with all of us attending together when we go to the theater. We each have to compromise some, but we've been able to come to agreements.

Upvote 0
Apr 15, 2009
Canada
✟16,558.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have really gotten to where I don't enjoy going out to the movies as much as watching them at home. I like to put my feet up, for one thing. Also, we have a clearplay dvd player that filters movies, so it's usually better to wait until the movie comes out on dvd so we don't have to be blindsided by what we don't want to see or hear.

Is that that weird thing that translates swearing and stuff like that?

I like relaxing too, and you don't have to listen to other people giggling during the wrong scene and stuff like that. Or the worst--public narrators. Ever deal with that? You're watching a movie and someone's saying things like
"Oh, that's his FRIEND from when he was a KID!"
"He hit him on the head!"
"He stole the car!"
"Oh, it was just a DREAM!"

Upvote 0
B

blythe_ann

Thanks for the responses, they are great!

I love both ways of watching movies pretty equally, though I don't like going to the regular theater. We have a cheap small town one where the owner knows your name and drink preference, so I love going there.
At home, I like to get in my PJ,s pop out the leg rest and eat dinner while I watch a movie. I like cuddling with my dogs or having them there for scary parts!
At the theater, I actually go to certain movies for the experience of a theater audience. I am not a huge "Twilight" fan, but we went opening weekend for something to do. I couldn't get over the screaming girls, it was hilarious! And scary movies where people are saying "don't go in there!!!!!" just cracks me up!
Either way, I love watching them with my husband. I love laughing over funny lines for days afterwards (we both try to use them in every day conversation), or talking about what was good/bad about a relationship in the movie (it's actually taught us things about our own relationship), or the way he gets worked up when something bad happened that shouldn't have.

Thanks for the responses!

Upvote 0
B

blythe_ann

I like relaxing too, and you don't have to listen to other people giggling during the wrong scene and stuff like that. Or the worst--public narrators. Ever deal with that? You're watching a movie and someone's saying things like
"He stole the car!"

LOL, it gets annoying sometimes, for sure!

My husbands mom really gets into movies. The first I went to with her was the Lord of the Rings, the first movie. I sat next to her, and as the black riders were chasing the hobbits she started yelling (seriously, YELLING) "Run, Frodo! RUN!"
I have never laughed so hard.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We like a lot of the same movies but not everything. When one of us wants to see something the other REALLY doesn't want to watch we wait for it to come out On Demand and we can just rent it from home. We do go to the theaters for some movies that just wouldn't be the same at home.

Upvote 0
May 25, 2010
Visit site
✟18,018.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"So um... what kind of movies do you like?"

That was my husband's pick-up line.

Unfortunately, my family never let me watch movies. They believe that they're evil, regardless of rating or what they're about. My husband's family let him watch anything and everything however. So we had some struggles here... I've learned to compromise and so has he. So now we carefully screen the movies we watch by reading several content reviews. Movies also have to be rated PG-13 or under (except for The Last Samurai and Braveheart, which he wasn't quite able to give up) and then only rated as PG-13 for violence, so very minimal language, no nudity, etc.

Lord of the Rings is my movie of choice (I'm a big fan of the books), oh, that and The Princess Bride. I could probably quote that movie from the beginning to the end.

Upvote 0
B

blythe_ann

Princess Bride is a classic, we have that pretty well memorized in our home as well! And the Lord of The Rings and Star Wars are usually what we mean when we say "movie marathon" at our house. And I'm a loser when it comes to this kind of thing, we have the special editions and I have to watch all 3 days worth of content of the Lord of the Rings stuff. I'm just ridiculous! LOL. But I am AWESOME at trivial pursuit for that movie.
And I noticed that your quote is from the Silmarillion. That is the only book I can't read of Tolkiens... I have tried time and time again and fail. It just starts so slowly to me. Beautifully written, but I can't keep my interest in it. I might try again now that I've seen a quote!

Upvote 0
Apr 15, 2009
Canada
✟16,558.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
That is so cool to find fellow fans of Tolkien. The only thing that dismays me about Tolkien are his hordes of imitators! (though there are some genuinely really good fantasy writers out there) I have all three special editions too, blythe anne, so don't feel like a total geek.

That is an area of film where my wife and I agree, and we like comedies and some mainstream action. (it really does depend--I like my mainstream action to have a bit of a classic feel--Indiana Jones is right up my alley; stuff that has a lot of ridiculously out of context sexy stuff, rap motifs and things like that bores me. Call me old fashioned)

Where we disagree is on war movies and horror movies which I must admit I do watch. My wife likes 'chick flicks' and we do watch them together though she is very understanding now if I'd rather not, so we discuss it first. We both like historical dramas though she is not always in the mood for the heavier ones.

Upvote 0
B

blythe_ann

I love the special editions, I only wish they would have made the soundtracks for them... there are a couple parts of the score that I would LOVE to hear more than just on my TV screen. As a composer, I usually spend quite a while analyzing the score of a movie. I learned violin for a solo in the second movie.
I love watching movies that have come from books that I've read. Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia. I like to compare and complain, basically. Like, I for one would like to know why Tom Bombadil, who was actually in almost a third of the first book, was completely cut. I know he wasn't imperative to the storyline... but... I liked him!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
R

Romanseight2005

"He stole the car!"

It doesn't translate swearing, it just skips the swearing. Like if you are in a scene, you can tell that something was just said. Do you remember watching t.v. when they would bleep out the bad words? This doesn't bleep. it's just silent where the profanity was spoken. It also has multple settings, so if you felt it just blocked out something important, you can either change the settings, or you can disable the filter, and redo the scene, then reenable it. It really is cool. We splurged and got a new high t.v. recently, and now I really prefer watching them at home. Plus I comment when something strikes me, or I have a question about something, and my husband doesn't mind this at home, but at a theater, it drives him crazy. The clearplay also helped us to be able to watch movies together. He and my son like action movies, which I also like if there is intrigue. But I don't like cussing, or extreme levels of violence, so this let's us watch action movies together.

Upvote 0
B

blythe_ann

That's kind of crazy and cool. I didn't know that there were such things!
We watch on our PS3. And we have a 52 inch flat screen, so it's like having a theater at home! We just watched Time Travellers Wife tonight (I know, I know, chick flick!). It made me sad and my husband frustrated. We've decided we won't watch time travel movies any more, they just don't explain themselves well enough.

Upvote 0

Torah

Senior Veteran
Oct 24, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟12,588.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
It can be very embarrassing to rent a movie or go to the movies and have a scene that can make you blush or language that is bad enough to make a sailor blush. Check out this site kids-in-mind.
It rates the movie by sex and nudity, Violence and Gore, and Profanity.

http://www.kids-in-mind.com/

I just watched a movie called; “The last Sin Eater”.
Directed by Michael Landon Jr. A very good movie.

Upvote 0
R

Romanseight2005

It can be very embarrassing to rent a movie or go to the movies and have a scene that can make you blush or language that is bad enough to make a sailor blush. Check out this site kids-in-mind.
It rates the movie by sex and nudity, Violence and Gore, and Profanity.

http://www.kids-in-mind.com/

I just watched a movie called; “The last Sin Eater”.
Directed by Michael Landon Jr. A very good movie.

That's exactly why we got clearplay. If you want to check it out, here is their website.
www.clearplay.com

Upvote 0