• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

movie watching is sin?

patrick

Apr 13, 2003
Cleveland TN
Visit site
✟139.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Recently at another bulletin board someone said the following:
Hi there all,

"I have an unusual question for you! There are some films which I enjoy watching but they would be considered quite violent to some 'christians' I think! One such film would be the Alien series. I watch them and then feel guilty because I enjoy watching them. Does that make sense? Some would say, 'If it makes you feel guilty, don't watch it,' but then my sense of guilt is so strong, I tend to feel guilty about the least thing. Is it sinful to watch films like this even if you want to? Of course there are some films that I wouldn't even give room space to. I know that no-body can tell me what to do but I suppose I would like some feedback from you my christian friends.
God bless and thanks for being here!! "

This was My answer to them.
Hello

Sorry to hear that you are in the midst of a battle of the mind. But I do have a solution for you from the Lord. You can be totally free of condemnation that comes from your conscience. We as Christians are not to live by a process of condemnation that comes from our conscience: but We are to be led by the Spirit of God. We are not to live by the feelings of conscience, but we are to totally live by the Spirit of Christ.

If you have noticed conscience is an aspect of condemnation. Now the source of condemnation is the Letter of the word that we have been taught by the wisdom and council of men. Moses had a ministry called the ministry of death and condemnation. Somewhere someone has told you that it is a sin to watch a movie. You have believed that report, because you want to please God. But you are trying to please God by a dead work out of a letter that will kill you. Condemnation kills you. Meanwhile Satan is sitting on your shoulder saying something along the line of God said that without faith it is impossible to please God. You agree with Satan and then You immediately begin to feel guilty over what you have done. Because of the guilt that you are feeling you fall down in torment of soul at the foot of the cross crying forgive me God, forgive me God. I am nothing but a poor old sinner. Guilt can become so strong that in the middle ages priests whipped themselves as a form of penance to prove their unworthiness. Satan’s whole trick is to make you feel unclean and unworthy. And as long as you feel that way, you will always remain at the cross always seeking forgiveness for your sins. He now has nothing to fear from you, if He can continually keep you in the process of retaining a guilty conscience. You will never be a threat to Him. You will never come to the place where you can rule or reign with Christ, as long as you are nothing but a poor old sinner in your mind. You are impure in your mind and your conscience has become defiled by this process of condemnation in your flesh. We must come by revelation of the spirit that we are the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus.

*** 1:15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

Now in order to understand how to get out of this process you must know by the quickening of the spirit what the spirit word is for yourself. In other words you must become totally convinced that condemnation is not possible if you are in Christ Jesus and are walking after the Spirit. Knowing that you are led by the Spirit. Walking after the spirit is the only way to have true life and peace from the torment of condemnation thru a guilty conscience.

Rom 8:1-6 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. (2) For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. (3) For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: (4) That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. (5) For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. (6) For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Rom 8:11-14 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. (12) Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. (13) For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. (14) For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Now I want you to understand that under the old covenant that every time that someone sinned they needed to bring a peace offering to God so that their conscience toward God would be soothed. These sacrifices that they brought to be offered never could minister unto them total complete wholeness in the conscience. But the Offering of Jesus can. In fact it will purge our conscience of all dead works so that we may serve the living God.

Heb 9:9-14 Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience; (10) Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation. (11) But Christ being come a high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; (12) Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. (13) For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of a heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: (14) How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Now what is a dead work? A dead work is any work instituted by the letter of the law in order to please God. These works are works whereby the flesh is trying to be pleasing to God thru the law that Moses gave. Unfortunately for the flesh the strength of sin is the law. The works of the flesh are no faith. But without being In the spirit and led by the spirit of Christ there is no way for the flesh to please God. Without faith it is impossible to please Him. Faith is hearing a spoken word that is anointed and then doing what is required no matter what the circumstances dictate otherwise.

Here are some examples of dead works.
1Ti 4:1-5 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; (2) Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; (3) Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. (4) For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: (5) For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

If you heed seducing spirits, and the doctrines of devils; and devils can be those that minister to you the letter of the law, you will sooner or later receive the condemnation a guilty conscience.

If then under the old Covenant the offering for sins could have fully removed the conscience of sin then there would have never been a need to continually offer up sacrifices. But the blood of Jesus can. That is the reason why He has only needed to offer himself up once for all. He never needs to sacrifice Himself for the forgiveness of sins again. Once was all the sacrifice needed for sin to be completely forgiven. And if sin is completely forgiven than there is made access to a continual guilt free conscience, as we walk after the Spirit of life.

Heb 10:1-4 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. (2) For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshipers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins. (3) But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year. (4) For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

Heb 10:15-24 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before, (16) This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; (17) And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. (18) Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin. (19) Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, (20) By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; (21) And having a high priest over the house of God; (22) Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water. (23) Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) (24) And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:

We do not need to continually ask for forgiveness of sin, We are already forgiven for all sins that we have or will ever commit. What we really need is to enter into His throne of grace and cry out for MERCY now. We are forgiven we just need mercy in our hour of need.

If we are just asking for forgiveness then we are stuck in the outer court and we will never progress into the holiest of holies where the true presence of The LORD is.

We need to come to the place where we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that all things work together for Good.

Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

While looking this up I read the Concordant version, and a couple of Greek texts and I noticed something that is not clearly indicated in the King James Version.

Here is the concordant version:

Now we are aware that God is working all together into the good of those who are loving God, who are called according to the purpose

In the Greek the word theo which is the word that translates as God is used twice, just like the concordant version use it.

Can you see the vast difference just one word can make in a text? God is working all together into the good!! He is working all into our life. Nothing in our life is there without His express will to build us up into the men and women of God that he desires. Nothing that we have classified as evil can ever be called that again. You must come to the place where you will not call anything that He brings into your life evil. HE IS THE ONE WORKING ALL INTO THE GOOD. And He knows how to do it. He has had plenty of practice creating the vastness of the universe so He will have no problem at orchestrating my life into the good he desires for me. He is teaching me by all that he puts into my life. He is bringing me into situations where He wants me to take authority over that which on the surface from my perspective does not look like it is in His will. Everything that now comes into my life is now being worked into the good. There is nothing evil in my life. My foot steps are ordered of the Lord. How many can really hear this?

Psa 37:23-26 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. (24) Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand. (25) I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread. (26) He is ever merciful, and lendeth; and his seed is blessed.

Jer 10:23 O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.

Pro 20:24 Man's goings are of the LORD; how can a man then understand his own way?

Oh Halleluiah!!!!

I will leave you with this last verses.

1Jo 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

And in Hebrews 9:14 , who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

If we follow the true light of love of the spirit of life then The Blood will cleanse us and purge our conscience from all sins that dead works try to impart unto us.

Grace and Peace

Patrick

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I learned a long time ago that I simply couldn't live my life according to what every other Christian thinks is right and wrong. I was a fairly new Christian and I'd hear that Christians shouldn't do this or that so I'd stop this or that and the last straw came when I was going to a carnival in the town where I lived and I saw that one of the churches had a group outside the gate on bleachers and the preacher was preaching. I figured he was against the carnival and I thought what's wrong with a carnival? It really bothered me for awhile and I finally decided I couldn't live by what all other Christians think is ok or not ok. Not that I ignore the the word of God, of course but I do struggle a lot. And yes, I go to movies. I see nothing wrong with it, it depends on what you watch, I guess. Unfortunately, you can't always tell what's going to be in the movie by the advertisement or previews.

Reactions: ~Katya~
Upvote 0