Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have been reading in Exodus and just a little confused about who God saught to kill. He was preparing Moses to help his people out of Egypt and then the story seems to take a different turn. Anyone studied this in Exodus? Thanks a bunch for your insight. :wave:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,338.00
Faith
Atheist
Yeah. Wrong forum. If you go up to the Christians Only section under, say, General Theology, you'd probably get better answers.

I would agree that that story seems out of place. One theory of the composition of the pentateuch is that it is not the work of one author but of several. On top of that, there is a redactor ... one who pasted it all together.

The story is so odd, I would guess it was story that someone didn't want lost and it got pasted where it might go chronologically but doesn't really fit.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have been reading in Exodus and just a little confused about who God saught to kill. He was preparing Moses to help his people out of Egypt and then the story seems to take a different turn. Anyone studied this in Exodus? Thanks a bunch for your insight. :wave:

The preceding verses set the theme, that of the 'firstborn son'. God wanted his 'son', Israel, to be released from bondage, with the threat of death to the firstborn of Egypt if this was not done. God's protection of the 'sons', the males, of Israel depended on their being circumcised. All males dwelling in Israel, whether native born or not, needed to be circumcised as a token of the covenant between Israel and God, or be 'cut off'. Moses 'sons' (plural) accompanied him and his wife on this journey. Apparently one of his sons had not been circumcised. God would not allow Moses to continue leading Israel until he was 'right with God' in this matter. Zipporah immediately knew why the angel threatened Moses with death and immediately circumcised the boy. The 'bloody husband' remark by her indicates her displeasure or revulsion about circumcision. Whether she refused to circumcise the boy or nagged Moses into foregoing it is not known......... God had to straighten Moses out on other issues as well. It was a troubled relationship to say the least. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

117799.jpg

Moving to Christian Scriptures where this may get more views and fit in better. :wave:

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0