[MOVED] End of the world predictions are a dime a dozen and always wrong. :)

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...moon-and-meteor-strike-prophecy-10491339.html

I guess I'm actually rather amazed at how many people seem to have an undo fascination with the "end of times". Every generation thinks that they live in the end times, and they're sure that all the signs clearly demonstrate that they are living in the end times, but the world just keeps right on plugging and chugging. The Bible tells us that nobody can actually predict the time or date in the first place, so what exactly *is* the big psychological fascination with various 'end of the world' claims and false prophesies anyway? Why isn't it always seen as another 'cry wolf' claim?

I kinda hoped that after all the "end of the Mayan calendar" hype was done and behind us, and the dust of disappointment had finally settled over the new age masses, that things would slow down for awhile. Quite the opposite seems to be occurring. It seems like every other month another end of the world "prediction" comes along, just as a previous one bites the dust like all the rest. It's like a revolving door of never ending "end of the world" fixations.

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
I totally agree, but wonder if this thread belongs over in the eschatology forum?

Maybe. It's still amazing to me that NASA feels compelled to respond to such stuff, which is how the thread ended up in the Physical And Life Sciences section. :)

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
images.jpg

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...moon-and-meteor-strike-prophecy-10491339.html

I guess I'm actually rather amazed at how many people seem to have an undo fascination with the "end of times". Every generation thinks that they live in the end times, and they're sure that all the signs clearly demonstrate that they are living in the end times, but the world just keeps right on plugging and chugging. The Bible tells us that nobody can actually predict the time or date in the first place, so what exactly *is* the big psychological fascination with various 'end of the world' claims and false prophesies anyway? Why isn't it always seen as another 'cry wolf' claim?

I kinda hoped that after all the "end of the Mayan calendar" hype was done and behind us, and the dust of disappointment had finally settled over the new age masses, that things would slow down for awhile. Quite the opposite seems to be occurring. It seems like every other month another end of the world "prediction" comes along, just as a previous one bites the dust like all the rest. It's like a revolving door of never ending "end of the world" fixations.

My kid is calculated to be born on the date of the blood moon at the end of the month :)

I chuckled when I read about the "apocalypse prophecy" :D

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Here we get like twelve for ten cents.

Upvote 0

florida2

Sep 18, 2011
✟25,691.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Maybe. It's still amazing to me that NASA feels compelled to respond to such stuff, which is how the thread ended up in the Physical And Life Sciences section. :)

Well, if NASA get to teach them some science about lunar eclipses, it can't be all bad.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Well, if NASA get to teach them some science about lunar eclipses, it can't be all bad.

You're probably right. It's just amazing to me that these end of the world claims still gain enough traction to warrant a response by NASA. You'd think after the first few hundred erroneous apocalyptic predictions that people would get sick and tired of being so gullible. :)

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
I think people just like to feel special.

They want to believe that they're in an important time, that they're at the pinnacle of society, and that, when they die, the world won't just keep on chugging along with them. I think on some level they realize the reality of it, but it doesn't matter - they WANT it to be the end.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JonFromMinnesota

Sep 3, 2015
Minnesota
✟52,766.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Whenever someone is talking about living in the end times or give a specific dates I ask them if they are willing to sign over all of their assets to me. This usually makes it clear how much they actually believe what they are saying.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
I think people just like to feel special.

They want to believe that they're in an important time, that they're at the pinnacle of society, and that, when they die, the world won't just keep on chugging along with them. I think on some level they realize the reality of it, but it doesn't matter - they WANT it to be the end.

Hmmm. From the standpoint of psychology, that does sound like it's an important factor alright.

As JonFromMinneota pointed out, most folks aren't usually willing to bet the farm over it, but there does some to be an unhealthy (to the point of gullibility) psychological fascination with "the end times".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JonFromMinnesota

Sep 3, 2015
Minnesota
✟52,766.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm. From the standpoint of psychology, that does sound like it's an important factor alright.

As JohnFromMinneota pointed out, most folks aren't usually willing to bet the farm over it, but there does some to be an unhealthy (to the point of gullibility) psychological fascination with "the end times".

Hi. It's Jon, not John :)

We are pattern seeking mammals. We strive to explain everything and insert our own opinions and ideas. I also think people have the tendency to want to self fulfill prophecy. I don't believe in the bible, but just observing from the outside on the "end of the world" crowd. If someone who believes in a psychic has one tell them "I see two children in your future". That person may try desperately to self fulfill that prophecy.

There are 7 billion people on this planet. Conflict will occur so I think when anyone sees any type of conflict such as war, financial, etc they start trying to put it all together and yell "End of the world!". It's just natural for humans to try to make sense of things. I think they're completely insane but they're free to believe what they want.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Hi. It's Jon, not John :)

Sorry. I don't typically edit my posts, but I fixed that for you. :) Nobody likes to have their handle kludged.

We are pattern seeking mammals. We strive to explain everything and insert our own opinions and ideas. I also think people have the tendency to want to self fulfill prophecy. I don't believe in the bible, but just observing from the outside on the "end of the world" crowd. If someone who believes in a psychic has one tell them "I see two children in your future". That person may try desperately to self fulfill that prophecy.

There are 7 billion people on this planet. Conflict will occur so I think when anyone sees any type of conflict such as war, financial, etc they start trying to put it all together and yell "End of the world!". It's just natural for humans to try to make sense of things. I think they're completely insane but they're free to believe what they want.

It just seems so silly to put any credibility in such claims when they come (and go) year after year after year. After awhile, you'd think that the constant disappointment aspect would simply make it boring.

Even as a "Christian' the Bible makes it clear that nobody will actually know the time or the date so it's not even particularly congruent with Biblical theology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,013.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Absolutely agree. We've been living in end times ever since the Lord Jesus ascended into heaven.

I've no doubt the Christians living in London, Coventry and other places that were bombed in the war believed they were in end times as the bombs fell all around them. But there've been other wars since, and no doubt other events that people felt were signs of end times; and we're still here.

The thing is that each generation that reads the Bible - and in this case, Matt 24, Mark 13, Revelation and so on - is going to seek to apply it to today and may look around for events that appear to point to the fulfilment of the prophecies, or interpret certain verses in certain ways and then show how world events are lining up so that the Biblical teaching will come about/be fulfilled. I don't believe that anyone does this intentionally, or with a motive to deceive. Some people have a sincere and genuine belief that a certain thing will happen, that a certain person is the antichrist, or whatever. But it's never happened.

Upvote 0

Brian45

Apr 23, 2002
✟34,089.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I think it's because people don't look at the entirety of bible prophecy , instead they seem to want to focus on only one or two things like the latest US president or Pope being the antichrist, or any new war in the middle east as having something to do with bible prophecy like Ezekiel 38 or psalm 83 as if they could be happening now or about to. People seem to forget the prophecies of what life here on earth will be like at the time of the end for it to be the time of the end. Jesus himself gave us one example when he said "the seas and the waves roaring and men's hearts failing them from the fear of what is coming upon the earth". I don't see this happening right now but I can see it coming from the dire predictions of scientists about global warming and sea level rises of up to 20 feet. I really don't think that one needs to be Einstein to figure it all out.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is kind like the strong anthropic principle.

"All predictions of the end of the world have been failures, because if one of them was not, we wouldn't be here to notice."

Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
The OP is a lie because since 1992 all of my annual predictions have come true. For example, I predicted that 2015 would be a very hot year, and so far it is the hottest year on record by far. I also predicted 9/11, the start of the Battle of Ar Mageddon. In other words, we are now experiencing the 7 last plagues, which are said to be poured out after the Great Tribulation of WW II. (Global warming is plague # 4, and the Battle of Ar Mageddon is plague # 7).

Let me make one more prediction. The latest face of the 7th head of Satan will, in the near future, be so soundly defeated by US-led forces that Satan wont be heard from again for a thousand years. (The US, founded by George Washington who rode a pale horse, is the 4th horseman to rule the earth for Jesus and kill His enemies).

Last edited:
Upvote 0