United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not even the pentecostals believe that.

Some do, many did. My dad was raised Pentecostal until he was ~13 and high tailed it out of there cause the mandatory tongues speaking and flopping around on the floor freaked him out.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear PolandSpringWater. Yes, Jesus talks about the Narrow Gate, and Jesus also tells us that it is not easy to get through. But in Matthew 22: 35-40:
Jesus tells a Lawyer: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it:
Love thy neighbour as thyself." Jesus is telling us straightforward, (no narrow gate)and easy to understand. God wants our Love, freely given and NO condition tagged on. What does it mean? Everything we say or do, everything
we advice or stand for, MUST BE FROM LOVE. Jesus told us to " ask and ye shall receive," ( Matthew 7: 7-10:) then we thank God and share all Love and Joy with our neighbour: i.e. all we know and all we meet, friends and not friends. God will see our sincere efforts, and God will approve and bless us.
God is Love, and God wants Loving children/sons and daughters. We keep asking God and thanking God, then share all Love and Joy with our neighbour.
God is Love, and God made us in His image. We know how to love, why the reluctance? Could that also be a Narrow Gate?
A Christian`s great weapon is Love, with Love we will overcome all enmity and
wrong behaviour. Jesus our Saviour will help and guide us: JESUS IS THE WAY.
Love is very catching, and Love will change us into the men and women which
God wants us to become. People around us will treat us the same as we treat
people. We might stumble and forget at times, but then we ask God to forgive us, and carry on Loving and Caring. Jesus also told us: " on these two
Commandments to Love God and love our neighbour, hang all the Law and the Prophets." Love and Obey is what God wants from us, and we have much time to learn to Love as God wants us to Love.
I say this with love, PolandSpringWater. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

SilverBlade

May 12, 2013
✟16,008.00
Faith
Non-Denom
May I ask, what is the point of the 'Hellfire' preaching?

Whenever I hear something along the lines of "Repent or burn!", I get the images of homeless crazy guys standing on a street corner.

The Hellfire preaching, however right or wrong it is, turns people away from Christianity since all they hear is 'Repent or burn!". Jesus/Yeshua didn't come to condemn people. He came to show forgiveness, love, compassion, etc. I highly doubt he wants his followers, Christians, to go around with the hellfire preaching. He wants people to follow willingly. The hellfire preaching tactic only scares people into following, that's if they are not turned off by it.

Why not instead tell people how your life changed? Why not tell people a miraculous story about how you were saved from an illness like cancer, or that you walked away from a severe car accident when no one should have survived it...anything like that is far more acceptable and far easier to digest and hear than the hellfire preaching.

Upvote 0