Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A few months ago a friend moved out of my apartment complex. I hadn't talk to him much since but over last weekend he invited me over for a nice dinner. He use to be an up stairs neighbor and someone I knew previously before moving to PA from NC. Before dinner he mentioned how much he was helped by the local Mormons moving from his apartment. He made a kind of guilty admission, basically he led the local Mormons on by contacting the local Stake and acting like an interested inquirer who also happened to need help moving when he really wasn't. But in reading on this sort of thing, it appears like helping people move is one of the things Mormons are known for, which surprises me because I grew up in a Mormon rich town in the California Mojave dessert, and I thought I knew a lot about Mormon culture etc.

Anyway would welcome any insider knowledge of this aspect of Mormon culture. Thanks!

Mormonism at its best: The sacrament of helping other people move

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: public hermit

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
This doesn’t surprise me being I’ve lived in the Mecca of Mormonism most of my life. They are intrinsically organized and can pull a work crew together with no problem at all and are very community minded.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is a creative way to ingratiate themselves to new neighbors.
(And learn more about them by seeing what kind of stuff they have.)

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Every young LDS lad loves to add another good deed to his eternal ledger. Get a Mormon to move your furniture, or mow your lawn, or do your laundry. It's really a win-win.

I felt bad for them because my friend really took advantage of them. He hired actual movers to do the moving coming moving day, but the Mormons did most of the prep working as far as boxing stuff up etc. and I think they helped on moving day as well because the paid movers really complimented them saying "they should go into business moving", and they really just were gung-ho than the actual movers.

Upvote 0

Carbon

Wondering around...
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2016
Florida
✟133,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Isn't it glorious what repressed testosterone can accomplish on a Saturday morning?

But yes I see your point. If you're feeling morally indebted here I'm sure Salt Lake City would be more than happy to accept your charitable donation.

• Haha
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Christian Apologist

Site Supporter
Apr 21, 2019
Vancouver Washington
Visit site
✟155,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What Mormons teach about the birth of a handicapped Child and minorities especially in third world countries

"This privilege of obtaining a mortal body on this earth is seemingly so priceless that those in the spirit world, even though unfaithful or not valient, were undoubtedly permitted to take mortal bodies although under penalty of racial or physical or nationalistic limitations...." (Decisions for Successful Living pp 164-165) TLDP: 497- Harold B. Lee

“There is no truth more plainly taught in the Gospel than that our condition in the next world will depend upon the kind of lives we live here. …Is it not just as reasonable to suppose that the conditions in which we now live have been determined by the kind of lives we lived in the pre-existent world of spirits? That the apostles understood this principle is indicated by their question to the Master when the man who was blind from his birth was healed of his blindness, ‘Master, who did sin, this man or his parents that he was born blind?’ (John 9:2.) Now perhaps you will have a partial answer to some of your questions as to why, if God is a just Father, that some of his children are born of an enlightened race and in a time when the Gospel is upon the earth, while others are born of a heathen parentage in a benighted, backward country; and still others are born to parents who have the mark of a black skin with which the seed of Cain were cursed and whose descendants were to be denied the rights of the priesthood of God”

(Harold B. Lee, Decisions for Successful Living, pp. 164-165).

Doctrines of Salvation Vol 1 page 61

WHY MEN ARE BORN TO DIFFERENT RACES. We are the children of God. He is our Father and he loves us. He loves all men whether they be white or black. No matter what their color, no matter what the conditions under which they were born and reared, the Lord looks upon all his children in mercy and will do for them just the best that he can

There is a reason why one man is born black and with other disadvantages, while another is born white with great advantages. The reason is that we once had an estate before we came here, and were obedient, more or less, to the laws that were given us there. Those who were faithful in all things there received greater blessings here, and those who were not faithful received less.

Is there reason then why the type of birth we receive in this life is not a reflection of our worthiness or lack of it in the pre‑existent life? We must accept the justice of God. He is fair to all. With that in mind, we can account in no other way for the birth of some of the children of God in darkest Africa, or in flood‑ridden China, or among the starving hordes of India, while some of the rest of us are born in the United States? We cannot escape the conclusion that because of performance in our pre‑existence some of us are born as Chinese, some as Japanese, some as Indians, some as Negroes, some as Americans, some as Latter‑day Saints. There are rewards and punishments, fully in harmony with His established policy in dealing with sinners and saints, rewarding all according to their deeds.

Mark E. Petersen, Race Problems as they Affect the Church

• Informative
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0