May 25, 2010
✟15,583.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
The United Church Of Canada teaches that there is more than one path to God, but that Jesus Christ is the right path for them. That is there understanding when it comes to interfaith relations, is it not? What more needs to be said?

Jesus is the right path for us. True faith in Jesus is guaranteed salvation. However, it would be extremely presumptuous to say that God wouldn't or couldn't accept a person of another faith. That's Jesus' decision and not yours or mine. The wonders of God are boundless, and who are we to put limits on Him? Jesus Himself said so: Matthew 19
25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Upvote 0

rayodeluz

Inadaptado
May 25, 2010
✟15,583.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Jesus makes it clear that he is only way to God. Case closed.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

If you believe the Bible, then it's clear that it's Jesus' decision who comes unto the Father. It is HE who judges our situation and the paths we take in this world, not you nor I. Are you saying that because someone doesn't live or believe a certain way that they are automatically doomed? You must think that Jesus is very limited. He isn't. His mercy, kindness, and power are limitless. Case closed.

Upvote 0

DRobert

Baptized, reborn, catholic christian
Dec 10, 2012
✟9,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read the history of the bible. There were many peoples, but God chose only a few to be his. Jesus said he was the narrow gate.

Sir, to say Jesus, at the present time, is not the only way is compromising your faith. You can believe what you want though.

Take Moses and the judgement of the death of the firstborn. Do you believe Pharaoh told his Egyptian people how to save their firstborns---that is by putting blood, by faith, on the doorposts of their house? Probably not. People were ignorant, maybe they didn't even know about the coming judgement, and as a result they lost their first borns. Pretty sad that they weren't warned and that God killed those children.

Upvote 0

rayodeluz

Inadaptado
May 25, 2010
✟15,583.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Read the history of the bible. There were many peoples, but God chose only a few to be his. Jesus said he was the narrow gate. Take Moses and the judgement of the death of the firstborn. Do you believe Pharaoh told his Egyptian people how to save their firstborns---that is by putting blood, by faith, on the doorposts of their house? Probably not. People were ignorant, maybe they didn't even know about the coming judgement, and as a result they lost their first borns. Pretty sad that they weren't warned and that God killed those children.

I have read the history. What you say of Moses and God choosing only a few people to be His is Old Testament. We are now living in New Testament times, and God doesn't want to lose one person, regardless of who he/she is. 2 Peter 3:9: The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

This being the case, imagine for example someone who is born in Saudi Arabia. Check out the culture there http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_Arabia#Religion If being a Christian is the only way, what chance does this person have? Not only will that person be indoctrinated in Islam from birth, but will also have very little chance to learn of Cristianity.

You and I have been blessed in that we had the chance to learn and come to understand the truth. There are many people that for whatever reason don't have that chance to really learn about Christianity. Even then, some people need to go in the wrong direction first before they realize the truth. I know I did a long time ago. And the behaviour of some Christians is enough to drive anyone away from it. Witness the Westboro Baptist church.

We all have our different set of circumstances, and it has caused all of us to come to believe what we believe. It is not up to me nor anyone else to judge the path another person takes. I can say is that I believe a Christian faith is a rock-solid guarantee. What I cannot. nor anyone else say, is that somebody on a different path is automatically lost. That's not my job, but Jesus', and He will save whom He wants.

Sir, to say Jesus, at the present time, is not the only way is compromising your faith. You can believe what you want though.

I never said that. Jesus said that all authority in heaven and earth has been given unto Him. We all WILL meet Him someday regardless of what we believed on earth. As I quoted from th Bible in my earlier post, no one gets to the Father but through Him. He IS the way. What we can't go around saying is that this person or that person is lost. That's not up to us. The Bible is only the slightest glimpse into the glory and wonders of God. There's so much more to God and the possibilities with God are endless. Don't put limits on Him. You have a Merry Christmas my friend.

Upvote 0

michaeldimmickjr

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me.
Apr 9, 2005
✟8,802.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do you guys believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and God? If so, how do you deal with Deuteronomy 5:8?

8 “‘You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 9 you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 10 but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.''

I agree completely that ultimately God is Judge. This cannot be denied. To say their is more than one path? That is not so. Instead of concerning ourselves with the salvation of others, we should "run the good race" for ourselves. This is next to impossible for most western christians. It's probably safe to say for most christians. We can use your example again or more from my protestant days: televangelists, people calling themselves christians, etc. Modern christianity has given Christianity a bad name. This cannot be helped though because there have always been heresies and scandals in the Church- it's made up of humans. Please forgive me.

Michael

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Jesus tells Philip He is the I AM
Yet He is also the Son and He tells another only God is good.
Yet HE is also God in the flesh, so Jesus is God.
Then He says no one knows not even the Son, not the angels in heaven but only the Father when the end exactly has been set.

Then in Heb1 it says He is the word that made the universe.
And the Son upholds all things by the word of His power.

God’s Supreme Revelation

1 God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, 2 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; 3 who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself[a] purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

And sits at the right hand of God.
This is trinity, 3 yet 1. Father Son Holy Spirit
each one different and still all one God. Just different aspects of the same God with somewhat differing way as to how they relate to us.

Jesus is how we can know and come to the Father. He is our Lord and our God. Jesus is our God manifested in flesh so we can relate to God, it is the Fathers way of showing Himself to people.

The Father Revealed

7 “If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him.”

8 Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.”

9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. 11 Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.

John 18
4 Jesus therefore, knowing all things that would come upon Him, went forward and said to them, “Whom are you seeking?”

5 They answered Him, “Jesus of Nazareth.”

Jesus said to them, “I am He.” And Judas, who betrayed Him, also stood with them.

6 Now when He said to them, “I am He,” they drew back and fell to the ground.

7 Then He asked them again, “Whom are you seeking?”

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
No other name!

Acts 4
8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, “Rulers of the people and elders of Israel: 9 If we this day are judged for a good deed done to a helpless man, by what means he has been made well, 10 let it be known to you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, by Him this man stands here before you whole. 11 This is the ‘stone which was rejected by you builders, which has become the chief cornerstone.’[a]

12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

The word says 'no other name'
The word says 'must be saved',

This word implies an imperative command, the word is not 'can' but 'must' be saved.

This means unless you come to Jesus and get saved, repenting of your sins and believing in the gospel of His dear Son, your lost and going to hell fire. No ifs and buts about this. No arguments will stand. It is an imperative that you must be saved, only by this one name given among men.

Jesus is God with a face on. Our God in flesh.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
The incarnation, Jesus, God come in the flesh.
1 John 4

4 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God:

Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God.

And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.

4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 5 They are of the world. Therefore they speak as of the world, and the world hears them. 6 We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.

Now this also should confirm to you that Jesus is God

Seeing and Believing

24 Now Thomas, called the Twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 The other disciples therefore said to him, “We have seen the Lord.”

So he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.”

26 And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!” 27 Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”

28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”

29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas,[d] because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Upvote 0
R

RedRover

How could The UCC ever take up this position? I am dumbfounded.
Jesus is the ONLY way. Church membership is not the way to salvation. I believe you can be a Muslim and be saved if you allow Jesus to save you. If your washed and cleansed in the Blood of the Lamb. That does not mean you have to leave the Muslim community and become a member of the Church of Christ. This was a very real issue for the early church. A lot of people even promoted the belief that you had to maintain a strong tie with the Temple and the Hebrew Faith. It was Paul who said you did not have to become Jewish to be saved. Of course it depends on how good you can keep a secret because at the time if they found out you were a Christian they may kick you out of the Temple.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums