New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We may have yet another code to add to Jonathan Wells’s growing list of information systems in the cell that challenge the Central Dogma. A new discovery hints at a “shape code” in the double helix.....

....Recognition of this new source of epigenetic information suggests a “new way of practicing biology,” they say.

"The discovery of the mechanisms involved of DNA binding by Polycomb is one of the first concrete examples in which the shape of DNA plays a more important role for the protein’s functioning than the code contained in the DNA. It turns out that the protein can only bind to the DNA helix if the latter is relatively unwound. Veenstra: “Because the DNA-binding protein does not bind to a specific sequence in the DNA, it was difficult to find the working mechanism of the protein using regular research methods.” This mechanism had been actively sought by many people in the field for the past twenty years."

What a surprise, they don’t have much to say about evolution. The only mention in the paper concerned pressure against it. The caption in Figure 2 says:

"The lysine rich region (K-rich) of MTF2 is well conserved among vertebrates compared to the other PCL proteins in mouse (a), suggesting an evolutionary pressure against mutation in this area. "

What we appear to be observing in this case is another layer of information riding on top of the sequence, governing how the genetic sequences are regulated epigenetically. A design-oriented approach may yet uncover additional instances where the shape of the double helix governs how it is read.

https://evolutionnews.org/2018/06/more-information-found-in-dna-the-shape-code/

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟569,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We may have yet another code to add to Jonathan Wells’s growing list of information systems in the cell that challenge the Central Dogma. A new discovery hints at a “shape code” in the double helix.....

....Recognition of this new source of epigenetic information suggests a “new way of practicing biology,” they say.

"The discovery of the mechanisms involved of DNA binding by Polycomb is one of the first concrete examples in which the shape of DNA plays a more important role for the protein’s functioning than the code contained in the DNA. It turns out that the protein can only bind to the DNA helix if the latter is relatively unwound. Veenstra: “Because the DNA-binding protein does not bind to a specific sequence in the DNA, it was difficult to find the working mechanism of the protein using regular research methods.” This mechanism had been actively sought by many people in the field for the past twenty years."

What a surprise, they don’t have much to say about evolution. The only mention in the paper concerned pressure against it. The caption in Figure 2 says:

"The lysine rich region (K-rich) of MTF2 is well conserved among vertebrates compared to the other PCL proteins in mouse (a), suggesting an evolutionary pressure against mutation in this area. "

What we appear to be observing in this case is another layer of information riding on top of the sequence, governing how the genetic sequences are regulated epigenetically. A design-oriented approach may yet uncover additional instances where the shape of the double helix governs how it is read.

Wow, that adds a whole new dimension then. Information wise. Weird.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,727.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
You have made a number of assertions, but left all them without justification or a meaningful evidential foundation. The material you have offered fits neatly into the pattern of ever more detailed understanding of the mechanisms of cell mchanics and evolution. It does not seem to support your assertions in any way. Would you like to spell out, in detail, the justification for your assertions?

• Agree
Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Hmmmm, are you Jonathon Wells in disguise?

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Your threads reek of spam. It seems that all you are doing is paraphrasing ENV essays.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It turns out that the protein can only bind to the DNA helix if the latter is relatively unwound.
Someone here once asked me how a created Adam would differ from an evolved Adam, and I answered that created Adam's DNA could have been flat prior to the Fall.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

images

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟239,727.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
@Anguspure On the 15th of June I invited you to justify the conclusions you had reached from your reading of the linked research. [See quote below.]

Perhaps you missed my request. Perhaps you are unable to offer any justification. Perhaps there is some other reason for your silence. I would like to hear from you to know which it is (while politely reminding you that this is a discussion forum, not a personal blog site.)
You have made a number of assertions, but left all them without justification or a meaningful evidential foundation. The material you have offered fits neatly into the pattern of ever more detailed understanding of the mechanisms of cell mchanics and evolution. It does not seem to support your assertions in any way. Would you like to spell out, in detail, the justification for your assertions?

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
@Anguspure On the 15th of June I invited you to justify the conclusions you had reached from your reading of the linked research. [See quote below.]

Perhaps you missed my request. Perhaps you are unable to offer any justification. Perhaps there is some other reason for your silence. I would like to hear from you to know which it is (while politely reminding you that this is a discussion forum, not a personal blog site.)
Most people have concluded at this point that the account is run by a bot.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟239,727.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Most people have concluded at this point that the account is run by a bot.
You are probably right, but as somone who will argue with computer cables for becoming hopelessly entangled, then just because Anguspure is an inanimate piece of software it won't stop me demanding satisfaction!

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
You are probably right, but as somone who will argue with computer cables for becoming hopelessly entangled, then just because Anguspure is an inanimate piece of software it won't stop me demanding satisfaction!
If they are a bot, the mods will eventually shut down the account, right?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Bugeyedcreepy
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Anguspure , prove you are real by responding with what words are in the image in the purplish blue letters
funny-captcha-more-cowbell.jpg
LOL I did not post in order to engage the endless circular arguments of those who reject the Evidence that attests to our wonderful Creator, and at the moment I really don't have the time of the day anyway. Somebody has to do the work/family thing I guess.
But even if I did have the time and the inclination (as I have had in the past) I would expect that it would be the argurment presented that was engaged and not any individual, myself included.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
LOL I did not post in order to engage the endless circular arguments of those who reject the Evidence that attests to our wonderful Creator, and at the moment I really don't have the time of the day anyway. Somebody has to do the work/family thing I guess.
But even if I did have the time and the inclination (as I have had in the past) I would expect that it would be the argurment presented that was engaged and not any individual, myself included.
I noticed that you failed to actually type what the captcha said, you robot :D

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟341,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
LOL I did not post in order to engage the endless circular arguments of those who reject the Evidence
Then why are you posting in a "discussion and debate" forum?

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟239,727.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
LOL I did not post in order to engage the endless circular arguments of those who reject the Evidence that attests to our wonderful Creator, and at the moment I really don't have the time of the day anyway.
So you are preaching, which on a discussion forum is a form of trolling. Thank you for letting us know we may safely ignore all of your posts from this point forward. Perhaps in the time you have saved by not responding you can reflect on how rude such behaviour is. I wish you success in adopting a more polite, friendly, open stance in future. You may even find it helps your message get listened to.

• Agree
Reactions: tyke and sfs
Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Translation from creationese:

I don't understand any of this stuff, I just plagiarize and spam-troll as a Witnessing tool.​

He can't engage because he can't understand.

Upvote 0