✟240,938.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
As noted in your linked article:

"A senior Justice Department official said the punishment for the crimes the researchers were charged with usually amounted to around a few months in prison, and the defendants had all been detained or under other restrictions in the U.S. since their arrest a year ago. That led the agency to determine that further litigation in the group of cases would unnecessarily prolong their departure from the U.S. and that their situations since their arrests amounted to sufficient punishment and deterrence."

What about this decision do you feel supports your assertion that America has been taken over by China?

Would you prefer that the DOJ proceeded with the prosecutions, spending more taxpayers money on those prosecutions and on the cost of their continuing incarceration? This seems like a sensible decision: the offenders have been punished, they will be deported, costs are held to a minimum.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,814.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
They're deporting Chinese military who lied to get a visa. After incarcerating them for a few months. Seems like whatever system is in place is working...

One could argue that a few of their rights were violated in being effectively sentenced and incarcerated without a trial.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,814.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
One could argue that a few of their rights were violated in being effectively sentenced and incarcerated without a trial.

You do know you can be held in custody when arrested until you can be brought before a court? And that can take a considerable time - unless bail is granted.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You do know you can be held in custody when arrested until you can be brought before a court? And that can take a considerable time - unless bail is granted.

Indeed. In one of the Jan. 6 cases there was a rare sentencing on the same day the man pled guilty. He'd been held w/o bail due to history of violence *before* that day, but the FBI didn't find any evidence of him committing violence at the Capitol so he was only charged with the "standard basket" of 4 misdemeanors. When he agreed to the standard "tourist" plea of one misdemeanor count with a maximum sentence of 6 months, he'd been held in jail pre-trial for almost exactly 6 months. The judge gave him a 6-month sentence and he was released the next day or something having completed the incarceration portion of his sentence. (There are only 2 other sentences so far: a woman with the same charges and plea who had no prior record got no jail time earlier, and since then a man who also didn't commit violence, but did enter the well of the Senate pled guilty to felony obstruction and got 8 months. Note that all of them also got probation and fines.)

In the OP case, these were foreign nationals there was a clear risk of flight, hence pretrial detention. If they can't be sentenced longer than they've already been imprisoned, then further detention does not serve justice.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I know. And I wouldn't be surprised if clever lawyers could find a way to dismantle my argument in court. But at the same time, there's something kind of sketchy about holding a person in pre-trial detention for the entire duration of what could have been their sentence. Effectively, that's incarceration without a trial and, if nothing else, is a violation of the spirit of some of our constitutional rights. There shouldn't be six months of legal wrangling needed for a case that could only produce a six month jail sentence. Things should have proceeded more quickly than that.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...564dee-34e1-11eb-b59c-adb7153d10c2_story.html

Following an FBI investigation this summer, more than 1,000 researchers who had hidden their affiliation with the Chinese military fled the United States, the Justice Department said Wednesday.

The exodus came in the wake of the arrests of six Chinese researchers accused of lying on their visa applications about their ties to the People’s Liberation Army and a warning to the Chinese ambassador that individuals who had not disclosed their true status needed to leave or face arrest.

The figure is startling, and some experts and former FBI officials said the actual number of researchers who currently work for the PLA is likely far lower. It is plausible, they said, that all had some affiliation to the military at some point and would be vulnerable to pressure to spy for the government.

The Chinese Embassy did not respond to a request for comment.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,814.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I know. And I wouldn't be surprised if clever lawyers could find a way to dismantle my argument in court. But at the same time, there's something kind of sketchy about holding a person in pre-trial detention for the entire duration of what could have been their sentence. Effectively, that's incarceration without a trial and, if nothing else, is a violation of the spirit of some of our constitutional rights. There shouldn't be six months of legal wrangling needed for a case that could only produce a six month jail sentence. Things should have proceeded more quickly than that.

I have to say that there's nothing you just said with which I disagree. And bail is often not granted and a considerable number of people can't afford it when it is. It would be interesting to see what clogs up the process.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have to say that there's nothing you just said with which I disagree. And bail is often not granted and a considerable number of people can't afford it when it is. It would be interesting to see what clogs up the process.

From what I understand (which isn't much), it's a number of things, not least of which is chronic understaffing of the justice system. If people didn't take the lousy plea deals they're offered, then the system would be backed up even more than it is.

Thread title: More Evidence America Has Been TAKEN OVER by CHINA

Thread: No Evidence America Has Been Taken Over by China

Me: Disappointment

Welcome to CF.

Given how quickly they were shot down, maybe the Chinese got them?

It's like the Francis Gary Powers of threads.

• Haha
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

All Englands Skies

Christian-Syndicalist
Nov 4, 2008
Midlands
✟221,057.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I’m having a hard time seeing that or anything else as any kind of evidence that the U.S. has been "taken over" by China. Can you explain what you mean?

Chinese paratroopers landed in his back garden while he was having a BBQ.

Upvote 0