Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
This is really laughable....so should you choose to make your best friends mobsters, drug addicts, perverts, your saying this will have absolutely no affect on your life? certianly your not basing this theory on any biblical text are you?, but more than likely this something you learned from some liberal God hating professor. AGAIN CHOOSE THE WORD OF GOD TO LIGHT YOUR PATH

Lets see, off the top of my head, Jesus spent time with:

1. Innumerable demoniacs
2. Samaritans
3. Prostitute
4. At least 2 adulterers
5. Tax collectors
6. children
7. Romans

heheheheh

Anyways, the "Ivory Tower Christian" mentality is bad. The entire world isn't Christian, and the "Bible college" is not representative of the real world, or the rest of academia, which we all inevitably have to enter.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
yeah! how many college students do you see drinking in moderation. It appears some Christians want you to live as close to the edge of worldlyness as you possible can and still maintain your faith.....good luck with that, I could almost hear a faint hissing sound as I read the above post. read Proverbs let the bible help you decide

Just because most college students don't drink in moderation doesn't mean you can't practice moderation. Drinking in and of itself is not evil. Learning to practice moderation is good practice for a Christian.

This is really laughable....so should you choose to make your best friends mobsters, drug addicts, perverts, your saying this will have absolutely no affect on your life? certianly your not basing this theory on any biblical text are you?, but more than likely this something you learned from some liberal God hating professor. AGAIN CHOOSE THE WORD OF GOD TO LIGHT YOUR PATH

Well I wouldn't make best friends out of people who are rude or who commit felonies. Not because that would cause me to commit a felony but because being friends with people who commit felonies are dangerous to be around.

However what my friends do has absolutly no affect on me. I make my own choices.

I'm basiing my beliefs on the behavior of Jesus who spent a lot of time with sinners. He didn't hole himself up with the holiest Jews he could find. Where exactly in the bible are you basing your views?

I will say that I would not be a Christian today if it wheren't for Christian friends. See I wasn't raised with Christian parents, God put good Christian friends in my path at the same time I opened myself to the Holy Spirit. But see these people where friends with me before I was a Christian.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
yeah! how many college students do you see drinking in moderation.

because they would be the one standing out in the crowd as different!

Just because most college students don't drink in moderation...

Can we put this whole "everybody at a non-bible college gets smashed all the time" myth to rest? My old undergraduate university was consistently ranked the #1 party school in the nation - yet studies concluded that nearly two-thirds of the students have only zero to four drinks when they party, and 62 percent drink two times a month or less. Given that said university had over 15,000 students - I'd say if you can't find some cool people to hang out with out of the 10,000 or so that either don't drink, or don't drink to excess - the problem is likely with you.

Noticing three dozen drunks staggering around late every weekend is not statically compelling evidence - it's often the same people.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can we put this whole "everybody at a non-bible college gets smashed all the time" myth to rest? My old undergraduate university was consistently ranked the #1 party school in the nation - yet studies concluded that nearly two-thirds of the students have only zero to four drinks when they party, and 62 percent drink two times a month or less. Given that said university had over 15,000 students - I'd say if you can't find some cool people to hang out with out of the 10,000 or so that either don't drink, or don't drink to excess - the problem is likely with you.

Noticing three dozen drunks staggering around late every weekend is not statically compelling evidence - it's often the same people.

I don't know, I'm not arguing from the point of myths or non statistical evidence, my point was that not everyone is Christian and that Christians should be prepared to deal with that and that it is ok to be friends with people who arn't Christian.

I actually went to a Lutheran University and there where lots of Christians but also lots of people who liked to get drunk on the weekends. I don't have anything against those who got drunk and had sex on the weekends. I just didn't spend my weekends with them.

And I've been drinking irregularly since I've turned 21, and I've never been drunk. I'm always careful to practice moderation with alcohol.

Upvote 0

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I don't know, I'm not arguing from the point of myths or non statistical evidence, my point was that not everyone is Christian and that Christians should be prepared to deal with that and that it is ok to be friends with people who arn't Christian.

I know that's not the crux of your argument - I just quoted you in addition to others because that part of your post reaffirmed the narrative I'm trying to dispel.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know that's not the crux of your argument - I just quoted you in addition to others because that part of your post reaffirmed the narrative I'm trying to dispel.

True but sterotypes will always exist and always be belived. Humans have this innate need to look at other people and place them into groups and try and make them into all the same. This happens everywhere.

The reality is always far more complex.

Upvote 0

realtruth101

Jan 26, 2011
✟903.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Lets see, off the top of my head, Jesus spent time with:

1. Innumerable demoniacs
2. Samaritans
3. Prostitute
4. At least 2 adulterers
5. Tax collectors
6. children
7. Romans

heheheheh

Anyways, the "Ivory Tower Christian" mentality is bad. The entire world isn't Christian, and the "Bible college" is not representative of the real world, or the rest of academia, which we all inevitably have to enter.
Very true, but at each encounter with those in the above list, And lets make it clear He wasn't hanging out with these people on a daily basis, while they were sinning, but they were encounters, just as you and I meet and encounter new people everyday. If you study the passages relating to each of the listed above, they weren't left in their sin, to continue in sin, but each of them found repentance at the feet of Jesus and they were changed, some of them He told them quite boldly "sin no more" The error in your thinking is Jesus would of tolerated sinful behavior, while He loves the sinner He would not like most Christians today turn a blind eye on very obviously deadly sins their friends are involved in, and not say something! That my friend is a VERY BIG DIFFERENCE between Christians who hang out with nonChristians, and the way Jesus hung out with nonChristians. Theres a HUGE difference! was the prostitute still prostituting, were not the demons removed from the demoniac.

Upvote 0

realtruth101

Jan 26, 2011
✟903.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Just because most college students don't drink in moderation doesn't mean you can't practice moderation. Drinking in and of itself is not evil. Learning to practice moderation is good practice for a Christian.

Well I wouldn't make best friends out of people who are rude or who commit felonies. Not because that would cause me to commit a felony but because being friends with people who commit felonies are dangerous to be around.

However what my friends do has absolutly no affect on me. I make my own choices.

I'm basiing my beliefs on the behavior of Jesus who spent a lot of time with sinners. He didn't hole himself up with the holiest Jews he could find. Where exactly in the bible are you basing your views?

I will say that I would not be a Christian today if it wheren't for Christian friends. See I wasn't raised with Christian parents, God put good Christian friends in my path at the same time I opened myself to the Holy Spirit. But see these people where friends with me before I was a Christian.
Luther you are in complete contradiction, when you say your friends don't influence you, re-read your above statement, unless I'm missing somthing you said "I WOULD NOT BE A CHRISTIAN TODAY IF IT WEREN"T FOR MY CHRISTIAN FRIENDS" then in the above statement "WHAT MY FRIENDS DO HAS NO AFFECT ON ME. I MAKE MY OWN CHOICES" Its either one or the other, I don't have any problem with having friends who don't believe, but if you notice from the scriptures when Jesus met with sinners, they didn't leave the same way, they were all changed. The problem I see is with most Christians who hang out with nonChristians is it has the opposite affect, Christians began looking and acting and talking more like the unsaved rather than the way it was when Jesus hung around sinners, they repented and had their lives radically changed. THERES A BIG DIFFERENCE

Upvote 0

VA Pinay

Feb 15, 2011
✟15,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I go to a regular university, and I have to say that while there is immoral behavior to be found if you are looking for it, it's hardly Gomorrah U. It's all about who you keep as friends, and knowing when a situation needs to be abandoned. I've even been to *gasp* frat parties and lived to tell the tale.

edit: sorry if that came across as sarcastic... I just think some people make a bigger issue of it that it is. Everyone's situation is different, of course.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Luther you are in complete contradiction, when you say your friends don't influence you, re-read your above statement, unless I'm missing somthing you said "I WOULD NOT BE A CHRISTIAN TODAY IF IT WEREN"T FOR MY CHRISTIAN FRIENDS" then in the above statement "WHAT MY FRIENDS DO HAS NO AFFECT ON ME. I MAKE MY OWN CHOICES" Its either one or the other, I don't have any problem with having friends who don't believe, but if you notice from the scriptures when Jesus met with sinners, they didn't leave the same way, they were all changed. The problem I see is with most Christians who hang out with nonChristians is it has the opposite affect, Christians began looking and acting and talking more like the unsaved rather than the way it was when Jesus hung around sinners, they repented and had their lives radically changed. THERES A BIG DIFFERENCE

I do make my own choices, and I made my own choice to open myself to the Holy Spirit. But I would not have heard the word without Christian friends and I would not have had guidance and support to continue my walk as a Christian.

I still made my own choice, they never made it for me. But when I needed to hear the word it was there, and when I needed support spiritually it was there.

In terms of what young adults do in relation to their faith and their friends I think it has more to do with the fact that many of them lack true faith in and of themselves. There are a lot of people who go to church regularly because their parents take them and repeat the faith of their parents because that is what they are told to belive.

But within themselves their faith is not really a central part of their life. And when they get out on their own in college its not a central part of their life then either.

I taught confirmation classes for 3 years. And in teaching that you sort of see both types of students, ones who's faith is very important to them and central to their life and ones who only really seem to "belive" because that is what their parents told them. And the faith of their parents seemed to make very little difference. There would be some of the second type who's parents where very involved in their faith, giving, and extremely involved with the church.

And there would be some of the first type who's parents or guardians didn't really even attend the church but just dropped them off for sunday school and picked them up. My guess is that when you see "christians" making friends with non-Christians and then starting to act like them, they where really more of the 2nd type then the first. And there isn't much that can be done to change that.

Very true, but at each encounter with those in the above list, And lets make it clear He wasn't hanging out with these people on a daily basis, while they were sinning, but they were encounters, just as you and I meet and encounter new people everyday. If you study the passages relating to each of the listed above, they weren't left in their sin, to continue in sin, but each of them found repentance at the feet of Jesus and they were changed, some of them He told them quite boldly "sin no more" The error in your thinking is Jesus would of tolerated sinful behavior, while He loves the sinner He would not like most Christians today turn a blind eye on very obviously deadly sins their friends are involved in, and not say something! That my friend is a VERY BIG DIFFERENCE between Christians who hang out with nonChristians, and the way Jesus hung out with nonChristians. Theres a HUGE difference! was the prostitute still prostituting, were not the demons removed from the demoniac.

These wheren't just casual encounters, Jesus ate with said sinners.

In his time eating with someone was a very big deal. Eating with someone at the time ment you where close with them. You didn't just eat with anyone who came your way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Feb 27, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
✟7,621.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
who you choose as your friends, has life and death consequences in todays world, the friends you choose will determine the path that you will follow

are you suggesting that we are only friends with "moral people"? We all make bad moral judgements, we all deserve hell. only he with out sin can cast judgement, all we can do is spread the gospel.

it is out job as christians to witness to other people. There is no point witnessing if nobody sees it. Make friends, go to bars, meet people have fun, do so without getting drunk, smoking weed or sleeping around and it will have more of an impact then meeting in a locked dorm room for a movie night with close christian friends. Christians at uni need to be outward facing!

Upvote 0

gusbus48

Mar 6, 2011
✟7,655.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
i feel you OP

it seems that our generation has really missed the idea. TV and Rihanna are their Bible...material possessions and being superficial seem to be their most prized qualities. Dont know what it is but its almost as though our generation has been brainwashed by jersey shore, etc to not care or even have opinions on the most important things in life. Being cool and in seem to be more important than being good and moral.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
are you suggesting that we are only friends with "moral people"? We all make bad moral judgements, we all deserve hell. only he with out sin can cast judgement, all we can do is spread the gospel.

it is out job as christians to witness to other people. There is no point witnessing if nobody sees it. Make friends, go to bars, meet people have fun, do so without getting drunk, smoking weed or sleeping around and it will have more of an impact then meeting in a locked dorm room for a movie night with close christian friends. Christians at uni need to be outward facing!

Not just Christians at a university, but Christians period need to be outward facing.

The church is a hospital for sinners more then it is a meeting place for saints.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

curious_heathen

Doesn't Post Much
Jul 16, 2009
✟7,639.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Just kinda felt the need to comment here...I'm not Christian, and I'm in college (I'm 24). I do not drink, smoke, party, and I am married with no children. I have never been a drinker or a partier. I don't even have cable. ;) Not all students at colleges have bad morals. It just seems like most of them do.

Upvote 0

ModestGirlsRock

World Changer
Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
✟687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My amount of social interaction with people on campus is limited at the university I'm at, but I don't feel too frustrated about it. I think it's because my closest friends are people who are Christians even though they don't attend the college I'm attending, but I'm able to find time to spend with them to keep me encouraged and edified.

Upvote 0

KernAlan

Building on the rock
Oct 5, 2010
✟7,715.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Make friends, go to bars, meet people have fun, do so without getting drunk, smoking weed or sleeping around and it will have more of an impact then meeting in a locked dorm room for a movie night with close christian friends.

I doubt Christ would suggest this. He spent most of His time with His Apostles, His inner circle. When He was out and about during His ministry, He only kept company with those who were interested in the kingdom.

Did we see Him having a laugh with two blokes at the drinking pub? No. We see Him in the synagogue discussing spiritual matters with the Rabbis.

Furthermore, what of 'Do not be yoked together with unbelievers?' Why do you think God has called us out of the world (2 Cor. 6:17)? Does that sound like a command to "go out and have fun"?

Surely, you mustn't mean that.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I doubt Christ would suggest this. He spent most of His time with His Apostles, His inner circle. When He was out and about during His ministry, He only kept company with those who were interested in the kingdom.

Did we see Him having a laugh with two blokes at the drinking pub? No. We see Him in the synagogue discussing spiritual matters with the Rabbis.

Furthermore, what of 'Do not be yoked together with unbelievers?' Why do you think God has called us out of the world (2 Cor. 6:17)? Does that sound like a command to "go out and have fun"?

Surely, you mustn't mean that.

To be yoked together with someone means to become tied to them or to become one with them.

This is a commandment against marriage to unbelivers and possibly a commandment against going into a situation (perhaps business) where your life is strongly tied to an unbeliver.

Being friends with someone doesn't tie you together with them and it certainly doesn't mean that you become one with them.

While you are right that Christ spent a lot of time with the Apostles, he also ate with sinners and this was one of the cheif complaints that the phrasiee's had against him. There is no evidence to indicate that Jesus made interest in the kingdom a prerequisite for spending time with him.

Hiding away and avoiding non-Christians is certainly not the way that you interest people in the faith.

Upvote 0