Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Ok, first and foremost.. and very seriously... this is not a flat earth related topic... Not for me. So please leave the whole FE out of this or start your own thread.

This is about a phenomenon that, quite honestly, I have questioned since I was very young. However, I put it aside as life went on.

Now, I have heard others speak of it and it has raised some very simple yet important questions..

How on earth does the moon look the way it does if it is reflecting the sun?

Let's look at the phases, shall we?

The-Moon-Phases-Facts.jpg

First, look at the "Waxing Crescent". Pictured above is not the last one before a new moon. There are several more before the moon is not illuminated.

Still, when I go to work, it is dark... yet there is the sliver of a moon in the sky.

Ask yourself, if the moon must always be fully illuminated, by the sun, there must always be a full moon to some area of space. Earth just cannot see it... So, therefore, when the moon is but a sliver, the rest of the moon, facing away from me, must still be fully illuminated.

So, where would the sun have to be to fully illuminate the surface of the moon "except" the tiny sliver I can see.

The sun would have to be opposite me. It should be in the sky, on the opposite side of me than the dark side that I see... Yet, the sun is not even up yet.

• Haha
Reactions: Netgear

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Second question, in regards to the half moon.

It just so happens that I was driving home last night and it was 1:00 AM. The moon still very high in the sky and a bright clear sky showing a half moon.

The illuminated side was to the west... makes sense, right? Or, does it. The illuminated side is facing due west where the sun went down.. that's for sure.. but that was 5 hours ago.

The sun, if it is going to rise on time in the morning, had to be well round the globe and probably straight below me under the earth.

Yet, the moon still shines to the west.....

Does this not defy logic to anyone else??

Should the phase of the moon not slowly change, through the night as the sun goes down and around and up the other side in the morning...

How does this moon stay lit on the same side as the sun makes it's course. As the earth turns?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lay it out for yourself on some graph paper. The earth spins every 24 hrs. The moon circles the earth every 28 days. Color the side of the moon illuminated by the sun and it should become clear.

If not, go to an astronomy web site.

Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Third portion:

The full moon always rises at sunset or close to it. Big fat and bright as it comes up in the west as the sun has just gone down... Makes perfect sense.

Even the phase just before the full moon, when the east side has a shaded UN-illuminated edge... makes sense.

However, a few days later, the moon rises an hour or so later, the sun has set earlier, yet the west edge, now, is shaded.

How fast does the sun go around to the other side of the earth, to create the necessary angle of light rays to illuminate the east side but miss part of the west side?

It was shaded on the east side a couple of days ago, then full and now the west side is shaded.... That's a long way for the sun to move in a few short hours of difference in it's setting.

I read an article where a man of some credibility stated that the moon should be full for most of the phases. The sun is behind the globe while the moon is on the side we view... by all facts of logic... being as far away as it is and as large as it is.. the moon should be full.

Things just don't make sense to me.

The illuminated portion of the moon, sometimes, faces directly at the place in space that the sun should be.

Other times, it just plain and simple doesn't line up.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Lay it out for yourself on some graph paper. The earth spins every 24 hrs. The moon circles the earth every 28 days. Color the side of the moon illuminated by the sun and it should become clear.

If not, go to an astronomy web site.
Ya, Ya, Ya... but.... in all reality.. check it for yourself... Go outside... use your brain, look at the moon... look at 90 degrees to where the illuminated part of the moon is facing.... point that direction.. as if you had a ball in your hand and had to shine a flashlight on it to light the ball that way... point to where the flashlight would have to be to light it up...

Then, point to where the sun is.... the angles are off.

Upvote 0

Netgear

A Dog On A Mission
Feb 23, 2018
Pontliw
✟6,402.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Third portion:

The full moon always rises at sunset or close to it. Big fat and bright as it comes up in the west as the sun has just gone down... Makes perfect sense.

Even the phase just before the full moon, when the east side has a shaded UN-illuminated edge... makes sense.

However, a few days later, the moon rises an hour or so later, the sun has set earlier, yet the west edge, now, is shaded.

How fast does the sun go around to the other side of the earth, to create the necessary angle of light rays to illuminate the east side but miss part of the west side?

It was shaded on the east side a couple of days ago, then full and now the west side is shaded.... That's a long way for the sun to move in a few short hours of difference in it's setting.

I read an article where a man of some credibility stated that the moon should be full for most of the phases. The sun is behind the globe while the moon is on the side we view... by all facts of logic... being as far away as it is and as large as it is.. the moon should be full.

Things just don't make sense to me.

The illuminated portion of the moon, sometimes, faces directly at the place in space that the sun should be.

Other times, it just plain and simple doesn't line up.

The moon is covered in fireflies. Thats it. Thats the answer. :clap:

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Sun is rather big. Moon is tiny in comparison. Have a think. Do some research.
I did think, did you...

Challenge your mind. Stop relying on things that others have told you and ideas like "the sun is real big and far away".

If the sun is real big and real far away... the moon should always be full if it is up at night and the sun is 93,000,000 miles away on the other side of the earth... Seriously.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Netgear

A Dog On A Mission
Feb 23, 2018
Pontliw
✟6,402.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I did think, did you...

Challenge your mind. Stop relying on things that others have told you and ideas like "the sun is real big and far away".

If the sun is real big and real far away... the moon should always be full if it is up at night and the sun is 93,000,000 miles away on the other side of the earth... Seriously.

Seriously? Do some proper research. Dont let others fool with your mind. Quit sticking with conspiracy rubbish.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ya, Ya, Ya... but.... in all reality.. check it for yourself... Go outside... use your brain, look at the moon... look at 90 degrees to where the illuminated part of the moon is facing.... point that direction.. as if you had a ball in your hand and had to shine a flashlight on it to light the ball that way... point to where the flashlight would have to be to light it up...

Then, point to where the sun is.... the angles are off.
No, the angles work out exactly right.
For 20 years I was a design engineer, and laid out complex 3D machine designs.

Some people have a hard time keeping track of things mentally in 3D, but I was trained in doing that.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Seriously? Do some proper research. Dont let others fool with your mind. Quit sticking with conspiracy rubbish.
Oh, so I should ask some other webiste? Check some other astrological chart?

Why? I can simply go outside... look at the moon, see the side that is illuminated... draw a tangent perpendicular to the illuminated surface, extend the imaginary line out into space... and.... the sun is not there.

Should I trust some egg head, white coat wearing, book in hand while speaking person over what I can see with my own eyes?

That is blindly following things that others are telling me when they do not match with what we clearly observe.

If the sun goes down in the west and rises in the east and the moon follows the same path but rising in the east and going down in the west.. at night, the moon should:

1/ Be full for most of the times we see it... especially if it is up during any night time hours.

2/ The illuminated side should rotate from the west side to the east side as the moon moves from east to west above us and the sun moves from west to east below us...

• Haha
Reactions: Netgear
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
No, the angles work out exactly right.
For 20 years I was a design engineer, and laid out complex 3D machine designs.

Some people have a hard time keeping track of things mentally in 3D, but I was trained in doing that.
I have a diploma in mechanical engineering design and am trained in 3D drawings as well.. I have no problem with the dimensional things that others may..

Do this..

Hold a ball in your hand and get someone to shine a flashlight on it to have only a sliver of the ball illuminated to your view.

The flashlight will have to be shining toward you. You would fully see the flashlight. You must. This due simply because it has to be in your view in order to light the other 95% of the ball...

Yet, in our solar system, the sun has set and is behind us.

Try it. There is no way the moon can have a sliver...only a sliver illuminated.. meaning that the other 95% that must illuminated and still be hidden... while the sun is so far to the other side, that it has set and it is dark

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Everything is perfectly explained in a heliocentric model of the solar system in which the moon the earth and the sun are all spherical. Not only that but it all agrees with the known laws of motion and of gravity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok a fellow engineer.

Don't forget the 23 degree tip of the earth's axis, and the tip of the moon's rotational plane relative to earth's spin.

And do not discount the distances involved.

You will see it works out.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Everything is perfectly explained in a heliocentric model of the solar system in which the moon the earth and the sun are all spherical. Not only that but it all agrees with the known laws of motion and of gravity.
Just doesn't fit with or align with what we see when we go out in the real world and look up at the real sky and view the placement of the real moon and the real sun.

But... works fine in a book and a classroom and with others drawing charts on paper... that must work in order for the moon to be reflecting the suns light.

Who should I believe? hmmmm the real sky.. or the sky in a book?

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Ok a fellow engineer.

Don't forget the 23 degree tip of the earth's axis, and the tip of the moon's rotational plane relative to earth's spin.

You will see it works out.
All semantics...

It matters not.....

Use your mind, your eyes and your intelligence...

The moon.. is here....
The illuminated side is there...
In order for the sun, to illuminate that side to that degree, being 93,000,000 miles away and light traveling in straight lines....

Where MUST the sun be.... Ya, not below the horizon and half way to coming up on the east side in a few hours.

Upvote 0

Chisel

Mar 25, 2018
Merksplas
✟16,468.00
Country
Belgium
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The moon gives of her own light.

In the first chapter of Genesis, God’s word says that He created two great lights: The greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. In fact, the Bible tells us in several passages that light comes from the moon.

God did not create a reflecting spinning disco ball to rule the night.

Or maybe the moon is like one of those kids lights that has to charge with light.
Maybe a crescent moon is fading because it needs more charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 1:16 King James Version (KJV)

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

I haven't even touched on the fact that:

1/ Moonlight causes a fire to burn better while the sun causes it to burn less
2/ Moonlight causes fruit to rot and meat to go rancid, the sun dries fruit and cures meat.
3/ Moonlight is cool while it's shade is warmer. Sunlight is warm and its shade is cooler.

• Agree
Reactions: Chisel
Upvote 0