Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think the focus on pericarditis and myocarditis during COVOD have introduced those terms to the public more widely, and my understanding is that the replicating vaccines have issues with that.

The more recent vaccine that we just purchased is non-replicating, and uses a different mechanism which, in theory, has less issues, but has not been around as long.

I guess it would depend on people's perception of "a long time".

It's the one that the US military switched to in 2008 after its approval, and has administered over 1.4 million doses to military personnel since then, and millions of doses administered in Africa over the past 15 years, and was basically a lab-grown version of Dryvax, whereas instead of using calf skin cells like Dryvax (which was made in the 1940's), it uses cultured monkey cells, and targets the same strain.

So ACAM2000 isn't "new" in the same sense that the covid vaccines were "new" (and truth be told, mRNA technology wasn't as "new" as some people were making it sound either, as phase 3 & 4 clinical trials had been testing that since the early-mid 2000's)

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The combination I see here so frequently -- of intense skepticism toward genuine experts in infectious disease with complete credulity towards insane conspiracy theories -- is reassuring in its consistency. Whatever happens in this chaotic and ever-changing world, some people can be counted on to be 100% wrong all the time.

Those who enjoy the lockdown culture should move to Shanghai, China. Things are in full swing at this time. It's not exactly accomplishing what they thought it would, but hey, people are locked in their homes and starving to death! A dystopian scene if we ever saw one! What more could one ask for?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't think Monkeypox is the same situation as covid...

Covid was a novel virus, Monkeypox has been around for a while and it's already well-understood. (the US had a small outbreak of it in 2003, and it's been observed for quite a while in other parts of the world)

It's also my understanding that the primary vaccines (and the oral and IV therapeutics) for Monkeypox are the drugs and vaccines (ACAM2000) they use for Smallpox...which are vaccine formats that have been around for quite some time that the US has kept in the national stockpile. It's been used widely as the primary form of smallpox vaccination since 2008, and been in our national stockpile since 2010 - as a precaution in case another country were to try to unleash smallpox as a biological weapon.

So a lot of the types of "virus denial/vaccine skepticism" we heard surrounding covid won't be applicable for this (if it even turns into anything noteworthy)

If it's been manipulated to be more transmissible, then things will be different than you described. It's already spreading at a rate not seen before, and in places where it hasn't been seen before. https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/20/wor...monkeypox-with-outbreaks-in-11-countries.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess it would depend on people's perception of "a long time".

It's the one that the US military switched to in 2008 after its approval, and has administered over 1.4 million doses to military personnel since then, and millions of doses administered in Africa over the past 15 years, and was basically a lab-grown version of Dryvax, whereas instead of using calf skin cells like Dryvax (which was made in the 1940's), it uses cultured monkey cells, and targets the same strain.

So ACAM2000 isn't "new" in the same sense that the covid vaccines were "new" (and truth be told, mRNA technology wasn't as "new" as some people were making it sound either, as phase 3 & 4 clinical trials had been testing that since the early-mid 2000's)

I was not referring to ACAM2000 as the new one. It is replicating. And I think some would be hesitant because of the rate of heart inflammation.

If you read the article in post 1 it refers to the vaccine recently purchased, a freeze-dried version of a more recent one in the stockpile.

Also check here:

News | Bavarian Nordic

A New Vaccine Against Smallpox Has Been Approved and Added to the Strategic Stockpile

Vaccines | Smallpox | CDC

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

revybub

Just here to grow, learn, give council, love God
Site Supporter
Jun 8, 2020
Michigan
✟201,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: Skye1300
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Monkeypox: Doctors concerned over impact on sexual health

Yes, there are some differences with this one, and they're urging caution for gay and bisexual men as a result of the fact that the majority of UK cases have been in gay/bisexual men, which likely means that a specific type of sexual act can be a more prevalent transmitter...but it's still also possible to to contract through respiratory droplets, so there's still a need for some pragmatic/common-sense caution with regards to being around an infected person.

Posts 7, 9, 10, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 26, 29, and 32 examine differences in transmission, connections to men who have sex with men in various countries, superspreader events identified so far, specifics on transmission danger from non-sexual contact, and comments by health officials about why they see this as different than other outbreaks.

It is not just in the UK they are making the connection to men who have sex with men, but they also note that it is unclear whether these just happen to be the ones at the places of initial spread. There is even some question of whether it was circulating in low levels for a while.

Additionally, in some cases they are not having widespread lesions, but only on the perianal and genital areas, making recognition more difficult, and sexual transmission perhaps easier.

Experts who have worked with the virus in Africa, but note differences, are also quoted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll just continue with life and not live in fear.

Ok. At the current time that seems quite warranted, unless you are in the healthcare field, etc. and need to be looking for symptoms.

Upvote 0

revybub

Just here to grow, learn, give council, love God
Site Supporter
Jun 8, 2020
Michigan
✟201,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok. At the current time that seems quite warranted, unless you are in the healthcare field, etc. and need to be looking for symptoms.
Even if I was in those fields. I would never let fear control me. Fear clouds the mind. Makes one irrational. Let alone is the opposite of faith.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even if I was in those fields. I would never let fear control me. Fear clouds the mind. Makes one irrational. Let alone is the opposite of faith.

That makes sense. I was referring to the live your life aspect.

But I see why you took it as saying to live in fear. You are correct that fear is not helpful.

Integrating the information in the news headline might be helpful, depending on what you encounter or your responsibilities. But no, you should not live in fear.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A thread providing a good summary of what's currently known: https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1528029335734697984

ETA: Of particular note is that the proteins of the virus in the current outbreak are identical to those of the known W. African strain (which may already have been mentioned earlier in this thread). While it's not impossible that mutations have made the outbreak strain more transmissible, it's unlikely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,820.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I don’t care what they call it. I’m not taking anything! No stick, no pill, no lies.
It seems like the best vaccine against this is very well known: The smallpox vaccine. A large part of the population is already vaccinated, and it would be easy to use it on the rest. The risks and benefits are well known.

• Agree
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Those who enjoy the lockdown culture should move to Shanghai, China. Things are in full swing at this time. It's not exactly accomplishing what they thought it would, but hey, people are locked in their homes and starving to death! A dystopian scene if we ever saw one! What more could one ask for?
I think you picked the wrong canned response for this thread. Try something that's relevant to the subject.

• Optimistic
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A thread providing a good summary of what's currently known: https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1528029335734697984

ETA: Of particular note is that the proteins of the virus in the current outbreak are identical to those of the known W. African strain (which may already have been mentioned earlier in this thread). While it's not impossible that mutations have made the outbreak strain more transmissible, it's unlikely.
Yes, post 23 contains a link to that analysis of a confirmed case in Portugal.

Also, they now tied a case in Belgium who traveled from Portugal to that sequence.

Screenshot_2022-05-23-08-06-31-1.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think you picked the wrong canned response for this thread. Try something that's relevant to the subject.

My response is government reaction to pandemics. Quite relevant. Besides, biden said we should all be concerned about Monkey pox.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Informative
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How did the monkeypox outbreak start? Expert shares theory | cbs8.com

Dr. David Heymann, who formerly headed WHO’s emergencies department, told The Associated Press that the leading theory to explain the spread of the disease was sexual transmission among men at raves held in Spain and Belgium. Monkeypox has not previously triggered widespread outbreaks beyond Africa, where it is endemic in animals.

Upvote 0