• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Money Problems

looksgood

Veteran
Sep 19, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟17,042.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok I am going to lay it out and ask you to help me find out what to do. Currently I have a job making $1,200 per month after tax.

My bills (after filing bankrupsy due to all the debt) will be:
Car insurance: $80
Phone: $80
Internet (needed for my job): $80
Gas for car: $250
Electric bill: $100
Medicen: $250
Doctors (Wife has mental illness): $20
Food: $300
Rent: $560
For a total of $1720 per month.

So I am still going to be at -$520 every month. There is no job I can get paying more as I am at $10 per hour with 40 hr per week and the min wage is $5.75.

Any advice?

looksgood

Veteran
Sep 19, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟17,042.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is your wife able to work? If not, is she eligible for SSI? She could be contributing to the household income.

I have worked for the past 20 years, and am currently working three jobs. One full time and two part time jobs.
She likes to believe she can work but she can not hold a job due to her illness. In some cases she can not even get the job. But it is hard to get SSI and even if she did I believe I make too much for them to give much of anything. Plus we would have to hire a lawyer to get it since ssi doesnt give in most the time without a lawyer.

Upvote 0
A

Anti Existance

Basically your health insurance should cover the medicine. But im betting that you don't have that.

The rent is absolutely the biggest problem.You need to move to a place and reduce the rent to at least 300$

Remember in these cases you have to throw your current lifestyle overboard and succomb to something much less desirable.

You need to slash your food expenses to 200 or less. I know your not a chinese, but its time to start eating rice and stop buying sweets. Don't buy beer or sigarettes, anything that you don't need don't buy.

You can save on electricity by throwing your t.v away,as there isn't much on it nowadays anyway. Use electric saving lights.

If you work 5 days a week , work 6. Its not something you want to hear but desperate times mean desperate measures.

Throw your phone away, the one time that you need to phone use a pay phone or even better only use your phone at work for the neccesary calls you need to make.

The 250 you spend on your car is much to much. Sell your car, and goto work ,walking,bycicle or by bus. Tram,metro its public travel for you. And before you say you can't , you must understand that you HAVE to reduce your debt ,and if i where you id grab any oppertunity to do so.

If i'd pay 100$ health insurance each month, i would be better of then you, because i would get my medicines from my insurance,making me save 150$ each month.

So basically the rent and the car are by far the biggest problems. You pay a lot for things you don't absolutely need. And you need to pay less for the things you do absolutely need.

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Looksgood,

I'm so sorry for the financial trouble you are having. I can't think of anything practically speaking unless you have someone you can move it with.

Don't be afraid for your wife to apply for SSI. You don't need a lawyer to do that, and you keep trying if she gets turned down. I wouldn't rule it out because of your income. Are you eligible for food stamps at all? I doubt you could get much but anything might help.

God bless you friend, I see you just went bankrupt, and I see you are tyring your hardest. Praying, love, Tapero

Upvote 0

Onlythingavailable

Senior Veteran
Apr 19, 2006
✟273,678.00
Faith
Christian
I did a quick google for some advice:
http://www.militarymoney.com/money/1066231523
http://www.citibank.com/us/cards/cm/cntrol04.htm
http://www.360financialliteracy.org...cs/Ways+to+Cut+Down+on+Household+Expenses.htm

They all seem to point out the same things: Buy where it's cheapest, use everything sparingly, and just in general cut down on non-essential stuff. Make careful plans before you spend even a dollar. My suggestion is you make a budget, and you just keep cutting down on stuff until you reach that 1200 $ limit. Maybe there's some sort of free financial advice you can get in your area?

Maybe you could get some help from church until your budget is hammered out? Sorry I couldn't be of more use. I'll say a prayer, it's always God that gets us through our troubles.

Upvote 0

UVsaturated

Dec 30, 2006
✟7,713.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ok I am going to lay it out and ask you to help me find out what to do. Currently I have a job making $1,200 per month after tax.

So I am still going to be at -$520 every month. There is no job I can get paying more as I am at $10 per hour with 40 hr per week and the min wage is $5.75.

Any advice?
I am in the same boat as you. If you lived in Ohio I would ask you and your wife to become roomies! What line of work are you in?

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
maybe try foodstamps too http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/faqs.htm it seems you and your household may be eligible. the same application offers medicaid too, which is medical assistance to help cover doctor's things, mabye your wife is eligible for that. This is available for people exactly in your situation, you should look into it, its fairly easy process

Upvote 0

The-Doctor

Man with a scarf
Nov 12, 2002
England
✟28,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You may need to look at whether you really need your car...that seems the only area I can see that you may be able to lose. THis will save you $310. Is there a cheaper travel option like a bike or public transport?

The phone may also need to go or you need to find a cheaper option...maybe a pay as you go mobile with no monthly payment.

Look at whether you can claim anything from the state to help you out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

malckiah

Jesus Christ is my God and King!
Dec 9, 2006
Texas
✟17,426.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hello, there are options.....First i have seen many people get denied ssi the first 2 times they apply and get approved the 3rd time....so maybe pray and try again!
As far as other things.....phone $80- ??? That is too much, do you neeeed a phone and if so, i am sure you can get it cheaper. Next, trade the gas guzzler in for a economical car.....i pay $25 per month in gas! that would make a huge difference!!! Also, check to see if her meds have a cheaper version that you can buy instead?! Plus, Trust in Jesus to provide and He will! Expect Miracles!!!! He loves to do big things for His little ones!!! Remember that nothing is happening that didnt pass through Him first!.....This is for your growth! Just Trustand He will provide!!!! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

2401 Penitent Tangent

Jan 31, 2005
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

if u can, sell the car and walk or ride the bus. That will give you spending money (which you should try to save) and take out about $300 from your bills. bus passes are quite cheap. U can also shave a lot of money off of your bills. your phone bill is extremely high. Try switching to something cheaper. Since you have internet you can try skype (http://www.skype.com/) its only 14.95 for a whole year and no, this is not a scam. For internet, you really need to look for some deals, they are scamming you there. you can get high speed internet for much cheaper try looking here (http://reviews.cnet.com/4002-6549_7-5114723.html?tag=more). Also, find a cheaper place to rent. do NOT take out loans or use your credit card. you are in a crisis financially, so penny pinch and put everything you can in the bank. Judging by your wage, i'd assume that you do not have a extremely high level of education. Once you save up the money, take a few courses in a community college. Tech courses are usually the way to go since you can learn quick and its a growing job market. i wish you luck and may the Lord be with you.

Upvote 0

looksgood

Veteran
Sep 19, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟17,042.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks everyone. Jesus has sure helped. We now have an advocate helping us get ssi. Also we are now on a program where we pay $20 a year to get disscounts on meds cutting that cost down considerable.

The phone is a need due to my job since my job is out of state and I need the long distance. Also I do need the car as my job also requires me to travel.

But If we can get ssi (which I was told we qualify) then we will have a good amount more per month. So this is the new budget based if we get ssi:

My bills (after filing bankrupsy due to all the debt and getting ssi) will be:
Medicen: $50
For a total of $1520 per month.

I make $1,200 But when you add $600 from ssi $1,800 Meaning we could save almost $300 per month! But I think SSI is supposed to be more than $600. Also I hear there are programs where the ssi will cover the meds altogether. This would mean we couldnt get food stamps (no big deal). But please pray this can happen for us.

Upvote 0

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Thanks everyone. Jesus has sure helped. We now have an advocate helping us get ssi. Also we are now on a program where we pay $20 a year to get discounts on meds cutting that cost down considerable.

The phone is a need due to my job since my job is out of state and I need the long distance. Also I do need the car as my job also requires me to travel.

But If we can get ssi (which I was told we qualify) then we will have a good amount more per month. So this is the new budget based if we get ssi:

My bills (after filing bankruptcy due to all the debt and getting ssi) will be:
Medicen: $50
For a total of $1520 per month.

I make $1,200 But when you add $600 from ssi $1,800 Meaning we could save almost $300 per month! But I think SSI is supposed to be more than $600. Also I hear there are programs where the ssi will cover the meds altogether. This would mean we couldn't get food stamps (no big deal). But please pray this can happen for us.
Praise God that you are on your way to getting help with SSI.

I don't understand why your internet bill is so high.
I would think even cable would only be half that price.
I have DSL though my phone company and they give me a discount.

Your rent is very low. Do you live in a one bedroom apartment?
If you do, why is your electric bill so high?
Do you use electric heat?

Your gasoline bill is very high also.
What is that, like 100 gallons of gas a month?
At 20 miles a gallon, that's 2,000 miles a month.
Why don't you move closer to where you work?

Also, your job may not be the best one for you if it costs you so much just to have it.

I hope and pray that you would sensitive to the leading of the Lord, and perhaps He would provide something that would be more suitable for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

george

Veteran
Mar 29, 2002
springfield,ky
Visit site
✟2,406.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Is their anything on your phone that you don't really need? like caller Id, repair fee, long distances, get a calling card for long distances calls if it dosn't effect your internet.
if you have cable or satilite, either go to the lowest package, or just go with a antena(it's free tv)

you can cut your food down alot, you can get some really healthy can goods. fix meals so you can have leftovers the next day. take lunch to work, limited eating out once a month, if at all.

your apt. is alittle high, don't know if you can find anything cheaper were you live.

is their anything you can do without on your internet.

Upvote 0

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
A couple of people have mentioned his $560 a month rent is high.
I mean no harm; I'm not criticizing.
But I'm really surprised by that,
because I thought his rent was cheap.

In the whole state of Maine where I live,
there is barely a city where you could find rent that low.

I'm just curious... how much do you pay for rent?

Our mortgage on our 3 bedroom ranch is around $750,
but we couldn't rent a house like this for less than $900.

I know of 1 bedroom apartments for $500,
and 2 bedroom apartments for $600/month,
but those are in small towns,
and require a 20 minute commute to a nearby city, for work.

When I lived in Maryland in the 1980's,
a 1 bedroom apt. went for $600/month.
I'm sure it's $700-$800 now.

I thought $560 was low.

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
SSI benefits really are frustrating to get. I think it is wonderful that you found someone who was willing and able to help you through that.

Keep in mind that there are earnings limitations on SSI benefits. After you earn a certain amount of money, the SSI benefit decreases. I don't know the exact figure and it might be different region to region. I was just suggesting that you maybe look into that a bit.

I have been in situations were I needed to make a dime out of a nickle and make that last a week. I understand the stresses you are under. What has helped me is to come up with a plan (as you are) then make myself stop dwelling on the plan all the time. By planning free activities, taking up free or inexpensive hobby's by reading books at the library and especially by doing things at church and with family and friends, I can stop obsessing while at the same time following my plan.

I have also learned to eat very frugally at times. I chuckle when I think of my rice dinners with a side of canned meat less than half the amount of the rice and canned vegetables (since they were on sale.) A meal like that might be followed later in the evening with a bowl of popcorn cooked on the stove with generic oil and a bit of melted margerine and salt for a snack. Breakfast of oatmeal or cream of wheat is still a favorite of mine and so is Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwhiches for lunch.

Given a choice between store brand soda and water, I can learn to love water and have been known to drink lemon flavored koolaide (store brand) too. (But really I am sadly addicted to pepsi so as soon as I would get money I would buy soda.. that is my weakness!)

Reactions: FallingWaters
Upvote 0

koban4max

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2005
✟3,289.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Any advice?
Can you handle overtime? Is it even possible?
What kind of medicine is it? Maybe you can lower the medicine fee.

I read someone's post that you should move out to cheaper area. I might advise that.

Upvote 0