Politics
US-Others
monasterygarden2.jpg

Monastery Retreat House Newsletter November 2021

Life at the Monastery
“Grace is not part of consciousness; it is the amount
of light in our souls, not knowledge nor reason.” — Pope Francis

“Everything is Grace” St. Therese of Lisieux

I have to say, that November is my favorite month. There is a deep peace that descends on me this time of the year. I guess one reason comes from childhood when anticipation for the holiday was so strong. Then there was Thanksgiving Day, a quiet holiday spent with family and yes, eating way too much. It was low-key, something nice before the hectic days of the secular Christmas season. While the excitement of the secular season of Christmas has gone, the peace remains. I think one reason for the peace is that because of the weather, the beauty of nature, at least for me, I simply become more aware of the workings of grace in my life, as well as in the lives of others. I have found that being thankful really does increase the light in my soul. It brings to mind the beauty of ‘things’, ‘nature’ and yes most importantly ‘people’. Because it is in the fall, it brings to mind also of the fleeting nature of our lives, on how fast time goes by. This points out to me the importance of seeking to understand what the nature of our lives is about.

What the secular world wants us to live out, and much of it good, in the end, does not last. What last, endures, is the seed of grace in our hearts, which allows us to see all of our lives as a gift. Though there are times when we have to make this assent with willpower only, grace often being the hidden factor. For in the time of suffering, it is hard to see the workings of grace. We all have our dark valleys that we must traverse in our pilgrimage through life.

So today, we are still in a very fluid situation and must find ways to live with it. The new variant (Delta) has started to hit close to home and I am sure that is true for many people. Many have died, and perhaps, hopefully, I am wrong, many more will also make their exit during the pandemic. So yes, this is a collective situation we are all walking through. It is now that we must live out our faith. This is not a time to get involved in useless arguments with those who disagree with us. It is better to listen, and then move on. It would seem that the so-called ‘divorce’ the country is going through is getting worse. Who knows, perhaps we have to ride this out to the end. In any case, our faith, if we understand it properly is asking all of us to deepen our love and trust in the Lord, and to pray instead of arguing, to try to be agents of peace instead of warriors of the so-called cultural wars.

Yes, much is wrong. It can only help if we back away from useless confrontation with others around us. Best to speak calmly, to live out our faith, and to seek to forgive and heal. Not an easy thing to do. Yet ‘All is a Grace’ is true, all we need do is to look deeper, and step back and pray.

The community is doing well, and those in the infirmary are stable, happy, and involved. Fr. Tom Francis is a true inspiration to all of us. Fr. Matt is getting through each day with grace, and Fr. Eduardo still has his sense of humor and can laugh at himself when needed. We are blessed to have them all. Br. Mario is in the Infirmary temporarily and is doing well.

The situation with Covid-19 is so fluid we really do not know what we are going to do in the near future. We have plans, hopefully they will come to fruition. We will keep you posted on that. In the meantime, try to enjoy the weather, the season, and most of all, find time to become more deeply rooted in our faith, in our love for Christ Jesus, which can only lead to a deeper love and compassion for others. Those who disagree with us are not our enemies, unless we make them so. –Br. MD

Highlight – Br. Mario Joseph Schemel
mario.jpg

Br. Mario Joseph Schemel was born December 11, 1951, he spent most of his growing up years in the Maryland suburbs of Washington D.C. After completing a doctorate in adult education at Columbia University, he accepted a position in the Business Administration Department of Middle East Technical University in Ankara, Turkey. Br. Mario remarks, "I went to teach in Turkey because I wanted to build bridges between the Islamic world and the Christian world. Br. Mario returned to the United States and accepted a position at a small college in South Carolina, where he was appointed Dean of Academic Affairs. He later attended a retreat and felt called to join a Trappist community.

Brother Mario joined the Conyers monastic community about 12 years ago. He has worked in the Monastery bakery, glass shop, and the Abbey Store. Brother Mario is now getting ready for a new adventure, he will be starting our candle making industry in the next few months. He loves his new assignment, it brings back fond memories of his Dad, who took up the hobby of candle making when he was a child. Br. Mario is a kind person and always ready to help, we are so blessed to have him as part of our community.

Reflections

All Souls Day

We will celebrate All Souls Day this month. Once a year, the day is set aside by the church to remember all those who have gone before us. A list of names of those we knew and loved who have passed away during the last year will be read at Mass. After Mass, the abbot will lead us to the cemetery where he will bless the grave of each monk and intone their names. It is a very moving ceremony and one that brings to mind the inevitability of our own deaths. Sooner or later, we all have to move on.

Twenty-five monks have passed on since I came here in 1994. In some ways, they are still quite present to me. I remember their voices, their mannerisms, their particular likes, and dislikes. Each was a gifted and special life here. They all left their mark, left some good things behind. I think they all moved on with a sense of having lived good and meaningful lives.

The brief ceremony is sobering. I am always reminded of the brevity of life, how quickly the years pass. And I wonder as to what we truly accomplish in our time here. We occupy a very small place on this big earth and we do not move around all that much during our lives here. In a culture that so prizes the accomplishment of major things in a truly big and magnificent way, our lives seem quite paltry. Big things have passed us by. I suspect that every monk here has, at least on some occasions, second-guessed their move here. There are down days when we wonder if we could be doing something more for the world in terms of making that one major contribution. But those days pass and we find that we are here, that we remain.

I will look back on the lives I knew here. And I will remember small acts of kindness, words of encouragement, and a friendly hello on a day when I especially needed it. All these and more that had to be given in the limited span of a few seconds but which made a lasting and graced impression. Lives well-lived are like the handwriting of God. And we can read his lines, his script, in the lives of those who are near us and who live simple, good lives. Greatness is born of the small, barely noticeable gestures that make up the small threads of gold each day, threads that eventually form a wondrous and living tapestry of a life well chosen, well-spoken, and well-loved.

People come here looking for something of God. Many of them come, weary of all the claims of the big and allegedly important in life. They come to this small place and hopefully, they leave refreshed with a sense of what really matters in life. The monks who have gone before passed on quite happily – I think that they discovered the secret of life and knew the wisdom of sharing it without guests. It is very simple, but hard to find, a challenge to live. A prayer I once read says it all: “Dear God, be kind to me and help me to be kind to others. Thy sea is so vast, and my boat is so small.” +++James Stephen Behrens, OCSO

Honey Creek Woodlands – A Natural Burial Ground
At the Monastery of the Holy Spirit

The Monastery community offers a quiet and beautiful resting place for people of all faiths, as well as those who have struggled to find faith. We are pleased to provide our land and promise to reverently protect it for those who share it with us. If you have any questions or would like to set up a tour, please call 770-483-7535. Our hours are 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Monday-Sunday.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
View attachment 307719

Monastery Retreat House Newsletter November 2021

Life at the Monastery
“Grace is not part of consciousness; it is the amount
of light in our souls, not knowledge nor reason.” — Pope Francis

“Everything is Grace” St. Therese of Lisieux

I have to say, that November is my favorite month. There is a deep peace that descends on me this time of the year. I guess one reason comes from childhood when anticipation for the holiday was so strong. Then there was Thanksgiving Day, a quiet holiday spent with family and yes, eating way too much. It was low-key, something nice before the hectic days of the secular Christmas season. While the excitement of the secular season of Christmas has gone, the peace remains. I think one reason for the peace is that because of the weather, the beauty of nature, at least for me, I simply become more aware of the workings of grace in my life, as well as in the lives of others. I have found that being thankful really does increase the light in my soul. It brings to mind the beauty of ‘things’, ‘nature’ and yes most importantly ‘people’. Because it is in the fall, it brings to mind also of the fleeting nature of our lives, on how fast time goes by. This points out to me the importance of seeking to understand what the nature of our lives is about.

What the secular world wants us to live out, and much of it good, in the end, does not last. What last, endures, is the seed of grace in our hearts, which allows us to see all of our lives as a gift. Though there are times when we have to make this assent with willpower only, grace often being the hidden factor. For in the time of suffering, it is hard to see the workings of grace. We all have our dark valleys that we must traverse in our pilgrimage through life.

So today, we are still in a very fluid situation and must find ways to live with it. The new variant (Delta) has started to hit close to home and I am sure that is true for many people. Many have died, and perhaps, hopefully, I am wrong, many more will also make their exit during the pandemic. So yes, this is a collective situation we are all walking through. It is now that we must live out our faith. This is not a time to get involved in useless arguments with those who disagree with us. It is better to listen, and then move on. It would seem that the so-called ‘divorce’ the country is going through is getting worse. Who knows, perhaps we have to ride this out to the end. In any case, our faith, if we understand it properly is asking all of us to deepen our love and trust in the Lord, and to pray instead of arguing, to try to be agents of peace instead of warriors of the so-called cultural wars.

Yes, much is wrong. It can only help if we back away from useless confrontation with others around us. Best to speak calmly, to live out our faith, and to seek to forgive and heal. Not an easy thing to do. Yet ‘All is a Grace’ is true, all we need do is to look deeper, and step back and pray.

The community is doing well, and those in the infirmary are stable, happy, and involved. Fr. Tom Francis is a true inspiration to all of us. Fr. Matt is getting through each day with grace, and Fr. Eduardo still has his sense of humor and can laugh at himself when needed. We are blessed to have them all. Br. Mario is in the Infirmary temporarily and is doing well.

The situation with Covid-19 is so fluid we really do not know what we are going to do in the near future. We have plans, hopefully they will come to fruition. We will keep you posted on that. In the meantime, try to enjoy the weather, the season, and most of all, find time to become more deeply rooted in our faith, in our love for Christ Jesus, which can only lead to a deeper love and compassion for others. Those who disagree with us are not our enemies, unless we make them so. –Br. MD

Highlight – Br. Mario Joseph Schemel
View attachment 307720

Br. Mario Joseph Schemel was born December 11, 1951, he spent most of his growing up years in the Maryland suburbs of Washington D.C. After completing a doctorate in adult education at Columbia University, he accepted a position in the Business Administration Department of Middle East Technical University in Ankara, Turkey. Br. Mario remarks, "I went to teach in Turkey because I wanted to build bridges between the Islamic world and the Christian world. Br. Mario returned to the United States and accepted a position at a small college in South Carolina, where he was appointed Dean of Academic Affairs. He later attended a retreat and felt called to join a Trappist community.

Brother Mario joined the Conyers monastic community about 12 years ago. He has worked in the Monastery bakery, glass shop, and the Abbey Store. Brother Mario is now getting ready for a new adventure, he will be starting our candle making industry in the next few months. He loves his new assignment, it brings back fond memories of his Dad, who took up the hobby of candle making when he was a child. Br. Mario is a kind person and always ready to help, we are so blessed to have him as part of our community.

Reflections

All Souls Day

We will celebrate All Souls Day this month. Once a year, the day is set aside by the church to remember all those who have gone before us. A list of names of those we knew and loved who have passed away during the last year will be read at Mass. After Mass, the abbot will lead us to the cemetery where he will bless the grave of each monk and intone their names. It is a very moving ceremony and one that brings to mind the inevitability of our own deaths. Sooner or later, we all have to move on.

Twenty-five monks have passed on since I came here in 1994. In some ways, they are still quite present to me. I remember their voices, their mannerisms, their particular likes, and dislikes. Each was a gifted and special life here. They all left their mark, left some good things behind. I think they all moved on with a sense of having lived good and meaningful lives.

The brief ceremony is sobering. I am always reminded of the brevity of life, how quickly the years pass. And I wonder as to what we truly accomplish in our time here. We occupy a very small place on this big earth and we do not move around all that much during our lives here. In a culture that so prizes the accomplishment of major things in a truly big and magnificent way, our lives seem quite paltry. Big things have passed us by. I suspect that every monk here has, at least on some occasions, second-guessed their move here. There are down days when we wonder if we could be doing something more for the world in terms of making that one major contribution. But those days pass and we find that we are here, that we remain.

I will look back on the lives I knew here. And I will remember small acts of kindness, words of encouragement, and a friendly hello on a day when I especially needed it. All these and more that had to be given in the limited span of a few seconds but which made a lasting and graced impression. Lives well-lived are like the handwriting of God. And we can read his lines, his script, in the lives of those who are near us and who live simple, good lives. Greatness is born of the small, barely noticeable gestures that make up the small threads of gold each day, threads that eventually form a wondrous and living tapestry of a life well chosen, well-spoken, and well-loved.

People come here looking for something of God. Many of them come, weary of all the claims of the big and allegedly important in life. They come to this small place and hopefully, they leave refreshed with a sense of what really matters in life. The monks who have gone before passed on quite happily – I think that they discovered the secret of life and knew the wisdom of sharing it without guests. It is very simple, but hard to find, a challenge to live. A prayer I once read says it all: “Dear God, be kind to me and help me to be kind to others. Thy sea is so vast, and my boat is so small.” +++James Stephen Behrens, OCSO

Honey Creek Woodlands – A Natural Burial Ground
At the Monastery of the Holy Spirit

The Monastery community offers a quiet and beautiful resting place for people of all faiths, as well as those who have struggled to find faith. We are pleased to provide our land and promise to reverently protect it for those who share it with us. If you have any questions or would like to set up a tour, please call 770-483-7535. Our hours are 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Monday-Sunday.
I had no idea you all had a natural burial ground. As usual, love the newsletters! :)

Upvote 0

Mark Dohle

Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta
Visit site
✟44,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I had no idea you all had a natural burial ground. As usual, love the newsletters! :)
Yes, we are busy. Many of our friends, and loved ones are buried there.

Peace
mark

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0