Oct 14, 2004
mountain grove missouri
Visit site
✟8,687.00
Faith
Christian
“We are to add what we can to life, not get what we want from it.”

WILLIAM OSLER

“No one sews a patch of un-shrunk cloth on an old garment, for the patch will pull away from the garment, making the tear worse. Neither do men pour new wine into old wine skins. If they do, the skins will burst, the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved.”

MATTHEW 9:16-17 NIV

As I study these words of Jesus today, I am becoming aware of the differences found in the Greek words used for “new wine” and “new wineskins.” The two words used for new, are not the same. Matthew recorded these words, and the conversation took place in his own home. Jesus had just called Matthew the tax collector and politician to follow Him. The way I read the story is that they then went to Mathew’s house for dinner. I guess Matthew had a bunch of his buddies over and they would be what we would call today politicians and crooks. The religious leaders of the day got wind of the party, and they said to Jesus’ disciples, “why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?” Jesus then went on to tell these old rigid religious leaders about something new that was happening with God. Jesus explained it in terms that they understood, He said that new wine, or the new spirituality, had to be put in new wineskins, or the new bodies of men. If you received an inheritance of many priceless jewels, you wouldn’t carry them around in the pocket of your old Levi’s that had a hole in the pocket. You would renew your Levi’s, and that brings me to the Greek words used for new. The Greek word used for new wine is neos, which means freshly made or new in time. The Greek word that Matthew used for new wineskins is kainos, which means renewed and not new in existence. The new wine which is the new spirituality and spiritual gifts, is given to us believers by the Father, the Son Jesus, the finished work of the Cross, and the indwelling of the Holy Ghost. The problem is this new wine can’t be contained in our old dried up spiritual wineskins that we call our bodies. Our bodies must be renewed. How does this take place? Some of the answer I have found can be seen in how old wineskins were renewed. If the wineskin was dried, stiff, and hard, it first had to be soaked in water. This process in our lives comes about by faith that we can be renewed, and by the washing of our mind by the continual reading of the Word of God, and by demonstrating our new faith by baptism. After the old wineskin was soaked and had become soft, it was then greased with oil or butter to prevent leakage and evaporation. In our lives this takes place after we have been softened up and made of use for God, we then experience the anointing oil of the Holy Spirit which seal us so that we don’t loose the spiritual treasures that God has given us. I am so grateful for the renewing I experience daily when I just take time to let God keep me pliable. Sometimes it stings when the oil is applied to this old dried skin of mine, but the liberty that comes from being spiritually flexible is worth the experience. God is still doing for me what I could not do for myself……………..JRE

“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is, His good, pleasing and perfect will.”

ROMANS 12:2 NIV

“The wise have always known that no one can make much of his life until self-searching becomes a regular habit, until he is able to admit and accept what he finds, and until he patiently and persistently tries to correct what is wrong.”

BILL W. ………………..AA 12X12 page 88