• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Mitral Valve Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

walant

On July 24th, 2006 I had a mitral valve repair done robotically. I just celebrated my one year anniversary from surgery. God has blessed me so much. I was never aware of any type of heart problem until I got my cholesterol checked and they informed me of my severe problem. That was on July 1, 2006. I truly feel as if God took my hand and walked me up the hill and over the mountain I had faced. If anyone has any questions about the experience feel free to PM me.:thumbsup:

PairoDocs

Jan 11, 2008
Southern Idaho USA
✟15,268.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm glad to see you have enjoyed a full year since your surgery. I just celebrated my first month today since my mitral valve repair. The chordae tendineae of my central leaflet of my posterior mitral valve broke, causing a flail valve. I quickly went from normal on December 9th to nearly dead by December 12th. I was Life-Flighted from my small local hospital to a larger one in Boise where an excellent surgeon started my surgery 40 minutes after I arrived and my valve was completely repaired. It had been prolapsed before with mild regurgitation before all this happened, but I had no warning except possibly a gradual onset of some edema and general lack of vigor over the summer of 2007. My wife took it really hard, but we prayed and decided together to fight for my life with everything I had, and I went from critical to routine hospital release in one week. I still have some physical restrictions such as 10 lbs. or less lifting and the like, and some sternum pain. Yes, I had the traditional open chest via sternotomy version, as my condition was extremely critical, and the surgeon had to get in there fast if I had any chance of survival. My wife got me on 108 prayer chains, and the Lord delivered me not only from death, but also from any lasting disability. Praise God!! :clap:The only problems I've had since then are bouts of depression, sometimes severe, but lasting only a few hours at a time. Please pray that the Lord delivers me from this, too.

Upvote 0

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
I had a heart catherization Jan 2 2008 and open heart surgery 2.17.08 ... I finish up my physical therapy 6.4.8 and start exercising at a local Snap fitness center ....

My doctor gave me some medicine for depression (freaking out ... quit smoking cold turkey after 35+ years) , some thing else to help me sleep .... some times we'd go to springfield (15 miles north) to the mall and walk ... talk with strangers, anything to get out of the house and break the monotany...

My pastor came and talked with me in the hospital and we went ant talked with him at his home .... several years ago he had open heart surgery also ....

You can do 90-95% of what you did ... be patient, submit to what the medical folks request, do the physical therapy, take breaks, ask for help, break large job into several small bites ....

pray ... genesis 50.20 , romans 8.28, 8.37

Upvote 0

PairoDocs

Jan 11, 2008
Southern Idaho USA
✟15,268.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Plmarquette,

Glad you're recovering. I haven't been here in a while. Strength has returned and, aside from an annoying keloid scar on my chest, I've otherwise nearly completely recovered. Physical strength is back, except I had a little trouble on a climbing wall--sort of stretched a few things I wasn't expecting. Also some emotional stuff.

We're going to Virgin Valley in northwest Nevada to dig opals in a few days. The trip from my place will be over 400 miles, and we'll be camping from either June 10th or 11th until Sunday June 15th, when we drive home again. It still feels strange knowing that I nearly died last December and that I'm here now in good condition only by the grace of God. I'll try to come back more often to check and see if you post anything else here. I take Wellbutrin for depression--this happens to many people with OHS--depression--and it's perfectly normal. Just be sure to realize that Christ is the same regardless of how you are feeling--He loves you very much.

I find the changes here on the forum very odd, but hopefully things will improve in time. The last time I was on here was in April so I missed the server problems, etc.

God bless!

Upvote 0

AutumnSnow

Jun 28, 2007
NYC area
✟586.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I did not even realize that the mitrial valve could be repaired! It's great to hear that your surgery was a success - praise Jesus :clap:

I also have a prolapsed mitrial valve. My doctor thinks I was born with this condition, however I was unaware I even had a murmur until 6 years ago this month. I'd had a stressful day, so maybe that was the trigger. That night I believe I had "near death experience" in my sleep. I can remember a normal dream being interrupted with a very soothing woman's voice instructing me to "Breathe in, breathe out. Yes, that's it ... breathe in, breathe out, b-r-e-a-t-h-e i-n b-r-e-a-t-h-e o-u-t ..." Her voice beacme very slow, methodic, calming. Even so, I didn't fully trust her, there was something wrong, very wrong here, and I forced myself to wake up. I don't know if my heart stopped or not, but I woke up in a cold sweat with the worst rapid heartbeat. It was so fast I couldn't breathe nor could I sleep. I was confined to bed for two weeks, because the palpitations were so bad I could not walk more than a few steps without getting dizzy. I could not lie down, it was uncomfortable to feel the pounding of my own heart like that :( I was very sick, weak & lost a great deal of weight as I couldn't eat, no appetite.

When I saw my doctor, my heartbeat was a little calmer but I had a pulse of 118. I had to go in for an echocardiogram, which revealed everything normal except for a prolapsed valve. I was put on 0.5mg of Lorazepam, a mild tranquilizer. This regulated the pulse down to the mid/high 80s. I still have so many side effects, generally severe fatigue. I work @ home, and work for myself, so no health insurance. But I'd love to get this problem taken care of if at all possible, will even buy insurance if there is something that can be done!

Anyway, I know this got a little long winded, but thanks for letting me vent :)

Upvote 0

PairoDocs

Jan 11, 2008
Southern Idaho USA
✟15,268.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello Everyone :wave:,

Just another quick check in. My recovery seems complete except for a very annoying keloid (at least it's small) scar. The rest of my heart health is good by the grace of God. Depression was still a problem this winter, but less than last winter. Thanks for the prayers. I'll resume posting more often as I have time. Lost login information for a while when the website underwent changes a bit last summer. Managed to find site again, and will resume being active as time permits.

Love in Christ,

Chris

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.