Missouri state rep Rick Roeber Likely to Be Expelled for Sexual and Physical Abuse of his Children

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
In 1990, Rick Roeber’s 9-year-old daughter was tucked in bed wearing a long Simpsons T-shirt when...

The incident was one of several disturbing stories recounted to the committee by Roeber’s ex-wife and three of his four children [now adults], who accused the freshman lawmaker of terrorizing them while on alcoholic benders and regularly whipping his children with a belt.

On Monday, the bipartisan committee unanimously recommended Roeber’s expulsion. The House will vote later this week on the measure, which would require a two-thirds majority.

Roeber was “combative, defensive, defiant, and at times angry” during his hearing, according to the report. At one point, he said that “all my kids are Democrats” and therefore involved in a “political hit” against him because “Democrats would accuse their fathers” of this kind of abuse.

In September, two of Roeber’s children spoke publicly to the Kansas City Star’s editorial board about the abuse they said they endured as children in the 1990s. Despite the editorial, Roeber beat his Democratic opponent by 301 votes but was expelled from the Republican caucus when his term began, according to the Star.

(These claims were not invented recently as a political hit.)

In 2001, his ex-wife said she learned that Child 2 was also sexually abused in 1990, when the child was 5. The report states that Roeber’s sexual abuse constituted “deviate sexual intercourse” under state law.

The child also disclosed the abuse to a therapist, who notified the Division of Family Services and local law enforcement. DFS found probable cause of abuse but once again, no criminal charges were filed. Roeber appealed the probable-cause finding two years later and won.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
We found another one, Q's! How many heard of the abuse and still voted for him? At least he's getting expelled.

He hasn't been booted yet. He claims it's a Democrat "political hit," and that'll be enough to rally the GOP to his side.

Has he called it a "hoax" yet? That'll definitely get him some support.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Well it's nice to know at least there is some behaviour that will get a Republican kicked out of office. Good to know they have at least some standards.

Gaetz next.

I'm holding off on the celebration until after the vote. It takes a 2/3 majority to boot a Representative.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
I'm holding off on the celebration until after the vote. It takes a 2/3 majority to boot a Representative.

It’s important to remember how truly high that bar is for removal. Representative Preston Brooks almost beat Charles Sumner to death with a cane on the Senate floor and even that couldn’t get 2/3 vote to remove him from the House.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I saw 216-210 along party lines, for not taking action.
Edit: In ref to Rep Waters

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I saw 216-210 along party lines, for not taking action.
Edit: In ref to Rep Waters

I suspect the vote to boot Roeber will be exactly flipped -- if for no other reason than spite.

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It’s important to remember how truly high that bar is for removal. Representative Preston Brooks almost beat Charles Sumner to death with a cane on the Senate floor and even that couldn’t get 2/3 vote to remove him from the House.

Shoot. If I remember correctly from college history, Brooks actually had enough supporters of his violent rage so as to have a new cane sent to him (after breaking his old one over Sumner) with an inscription: "Hit him again." =/

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,296.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Shoot. If I remember correctly from college history, Brooks actually had enough supporters of his violent rage so as to have a new cane sent to him (after breaking his old one over Sumner) with an inscription: "Hit him again." =/
Brooks apparently resigned his seat to let his constituents have a say, then got reelected in the special election created by his resignation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums