brittany111

Feb 18, 2012
TX
✟7,958.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How do you know if God is calling you to missions?

Sunday morning my pastor spoke about missions and had everyone raise their hand who felt led to missions. I didn't raise my hand because I'm not sure. I have a desire to travel and tell people about Jesus. When missionaries share thier work with the church I long to do more than pray and give. But, I'm not sure if this is just my longing to travel or a call from God.

How do you know? :confused:

rossignol

Feb 18, 2012
✟7,873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's good your asking this question. People sometimes go on missions for the wrong reasons. The only I have to say as a meeter whether you longing is from God or not is, does this idea give you peace? God gives you peace that surpasses all understanding and when you have that you know it's the word from God.

You also don't have to travel to be a missionary. Share the word where you live. Help people in your community. The people around you need help just as much as some one in another country

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2012
✟10,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sunday morning my pastor spoke about missions and had everyone raise their hand who felt led to missions. I didn't raise my hand because I'm not sure. I have a desire to travel and tell people about Jesus. When missionaries share thier work with the church I long to do more than pray and give. But, I'm not sure if this is just my longing to travel or a call from God.

May I suggest some reading? the book is called "A Holy Ambition to preach where Christ has never been named" by john Piper.

It will give you a proper perspective on missions and why we are here. Please share with all you know.

Upvote 0

Fishfinders

Aug 6, 2012
✟15,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All my life I felt called to missions, However with my having kids it was'nt logical for me to travel the world and leave them here for long periods of time without me. Time past and I was reading a book called "One thing you cant say in heaven" and there was a quote by Charles Spurgeon that said "you don't have to cross the sea to be a missionary, you only have to see the cross! " And right then I realized it was God saying we are all called to missions. Some overseas, and some of us right here at home. That's when I began to witness to as many people as I could, anytime I got a chance. At work, at home, even at the grocery store. It's funny the responses you get from people when you approach them in places like that, but you are planting a seed, and that is all God ask's. He takes over from there. Another quote by Spurgeon says " There are two kinds of Christians. Missionaries and Imposters." So know that you are called to missions indeed, but that could be right were you already are, as it is for me!
God also gave me this idea for a company to help missionaries, and it has been very blessed. Check out my website and have a look around. It's amazing how God answers our prayers on his time, the perfect timing! God Bless you!
Justin Pattillo/founder
Fish finders worldwide
fishfindersworldwide.net

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Benavez

Aug 7, 2012
✟15,112.00
Faith
Protestant
It's a good question, IMHO the best test is to put your mind on other more mundane things for awhile, and see how urgently your mind and thoughts return to the idea of doing a mission. It has to be something that grips you, a burning desire to spread your message. That's how you'll know it's authentic. admittedly it's hard to put into words, but once you feel the urge to do a mission, IMHO this is sort of how it feels like. You just can't imagine yourself not doing it, and that feeling comes from a place deep inside you and your conscience.

Upvote 0

rossignol

Feb 18, 2012
✟7,873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
All my life I felt called to missions, However with my having kids it was'nt logical for me to travel the world and leave them here for long periods of time without me. Time past and I was reading a book called "One thing you cant say in heaven" and there was a quote by Charles Spurgeon that said "you don't have to cross the sea to be a missionary, you only have to see the cross! " And right then I realized it was God saying we are all called to missions. Some overseas, and some of us right here at home. That's when I began to witness to as many people as I could, anytime I got a chance. At work, at home, even at the grocery store. It's funny the responses you get from people when you approach them in places like that, but you are planting a seed, and that is all God ask's. He takes over from there. Another quote by Spurgeon says " There are two kinds of Christians. Missionaries and Imposters." So know that you are called to missions indeed, but that could be right were you already are, as it is for me!
God also gave me this idea for a company to help missionaries, and it has been very blessed. Check out my website and have a look around. It's amazing how God answers our prayers on his time, the perfect timing! God Bless you!
Justin Pattillo/founder
Fish finders worldwide
fishfindersworldwide.net
Helping missionaries is a mission in itself. Doing something like that in your circumstance is commendable of you that you didn't give up on something God put in your heart because it wasn't in the way you expected.

I want to comment on one thing and don't take this in the wrong way. If God calls you to another country, having kids doesn't need to stop you. Maybe having kids helped you find your calling to do things in your backyard and that's good.

People with kids who want to mission to other countries have more responsibility than themselves to worry about. It has and can be done with a family. My Uncle lived in Kenya for 2 yrs when my cousin was young. He came back to Canada and moved to Germany for another 2 yrs with his family. Now he takes trips to Russia and Cuba, Germany and Africa for his organization that teaches people to become leaders.

My cousin is an amazing woman for who she is and her experiences living in the mission ministry with her parents.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Helping missionaries is a mission in itself. Doing something like that in your circumstance is commendable of you that you didn't give up on something God put in your heart because it wasn't in the way you expected.

I want to comment on one thing and don't take this in the wrong way. If God calls you to another country, having kids doesn't need to stop you. Maybe having kids helped you find your calling to do things in your backyard and that's good.

People with kids who want to mission to other countries have more responsibility than themselves to worry about. It has and can be done with a family. My Uncle lived in Kenya for 2 yrs when my cousin was young. He came back to Canada and moved to Germany for another 2 yrs with his family. Now he takes trips to Russia and Cuba, Germany and Africa for his organization that teaches people to become leaders.

My cousin is an amazing woman for who she is and her experiences living in the mission ministry with her parents.

Wow!

Ever since I had the opportunity to teach English in Quito, Ecuador at a little Christian school I can't stop thinking about ways in which we North American Christians can assist people living in the third world?!

Concerned citizens in both Calgary and in Ithaca, New York have cooperated and printed up their own local currency unit. I am almost certain that it is theoretically possible for a group of Christians to come up with something similar that could be used on one level as a prop in a series of films....but it could actually have purchasing power just as is the case with CalgaryDollars.ca and the Ithaca Hour?!

http://www.christianforums.com/t7681433/
Concepts for reality, semi-reality and documentary films that address social issues!

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

I will throw my two cents' worth here.

I have a dear niece who got married this July. Ever since she was a tiny tot her parents instilled it into her brain that the best (and maybe only) way she could serve God was as a missionary. By that, they meant as a warm and friendly American lady singing Sunday School songs to cute children in France (ideally) or some other civilized, but heathen, country.

Her husband, who comes from a non-Christian family, came to Christ in high school and was also instilled with the idea that the best (and possibly only) way to serve God was as a missionary. In his case, however, martyrdom was part and parcel with being a missionary. Thus he determined that God has called him to go to Saudi Arabia and go to the marketplace in a major city, set up a soap box and preach the gospel. For that he expects to be thrown into prison and eventually die a very cruel and horrid death.

My niece met him a couple of years' ago while working at camp and fell in love with him and his vision. My brother and sister-in-law were totally horrified at their relationship and tried to break them up, which, of course, only drew them tighter together. At the wedding he went on at great length about how much he loved her and how he appreciated her willingness to be with him all they way to his untimely death.

The reality, of course, is different - quite different. He does not work and has no income. He refuses to work with any church or mission agency to raise funds to go, believing that God will rain the money on him as he trusts God to fulfill His promise to him. If he should get the funding to go and if he does get a visa to enter Saudi Arabia (which is extremely unlikely) and if he pulls off his stunt, he will be jailed and deported pronto. He will also have a permanent visa ban to enter any other Muslim country. He will probably have to settle down and work for a living (how boring). Oh, and I forgot to mention that the intend to have as many children as biologically possible.

In the meantime her grumpy old uncle spent his boring life being self-employed, trusting God for work and income. A year ago God opened the door for him to go to China and teach the Bible in an underground Bible school. I sent her an email from China and received a lovely response, informing me that she was praying that I would learn some spiritual lessons while I was there.

Well, I do know that the Christian life is not a quick sprint to martyrdom and it can be really, really boring (at least in the eyes of others). As for missions, when God calls you He will open the doors and provide all that you need,

Upvote 0

BloodBoughtChad

Justified
Jan 19, 2011
Southern California
Visit site
✟7,641.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

We are all missionaries. Our American church has made "missions" out to be something only certain people do. You are a missionary. The question is what area of the world does God have you in to do this mission work?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums