✟29,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Kind of....

My parents were sent by their church as missionaries to Utah, which I guess could be considered a foreign country :p They still get funding from the church and my dad's the pastor of the church as well as working at a Christian bookstore. But I'm always a little hesitant to label myself as a mk

Upvote 0

bronzebender

Jan 19, 2007
✟15,169.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
YES YES ME AND PROUD OF IT!! :D :D My dad has been in the Philippines for EIGHTEEN years. The average time of missionaries is only two, so we have really stuck it out. He married my mom (a Filipina) while here. I am PROUD to say we have a biracial family (brown older borther, i am brown, my sister is white)!

I know a lot of missionary kids. I go to a school specifically designed for missionary children (and some diplomat children). Also, our parents' mission work is amazing! It excites me. :) It is unfortunate that sometimes I feel *meh* when I hear yet again of what they are doing in the Tribal Ministry or Orphange or Bible School or Missions Conference (apologize if I sound like bragging), when what they are doing is CHANGING so many lives! So excited that my parents are being mightily used by God!

Upvote 0

Ptilinopus

May 1, 2007
Parkes NSW
✟15,810.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hello Ceridwen!

Yes, I am an MK too. My parents were 12 years in Papua New Guinea from the time I was 8 yrs old. And my Mum was born in Tonga, where her parents were missionaries for some 20 years. Then I married another MK - who spent most of her childhood till age 10 in the Pacific islands. And her mother was born in China (where her parents were missionaries for 16 years)...

Then we became missionaries ourselves - 11 years in Africa, and 4 in Papua New Guinea. My older sons were in Africa the last 3 yrs, and all of them in PNG. (So they are MKs too!)

You know the term TCK (Third Culture Kids)? That's us! Have you noticed that MKs/TCKs are different from others? I noticed when in Africa that roughly half of all missionaries were themselves MKs. Many like me married MKs. Maybe I'll post some TCK jokes sometime - "You might be a TCK if..." type! What do you think?

Upvote 0

Bulan

May 11, 2007
Visit site
✟7,630.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am an MK as well, and always glad to meet new MKs out there. It wasn't until I was in my early 20s that I realized that I could find other MKs/TCKs (Third Culture Kids) out there, because I didn't know any (besides my brother) the whole time I was growing up. The internet has really helped, in fact! In 2004 I created a website/forum for MKs of all ages called mkPLANET, and I've been able to meet many wonderful MKs, missionary parents, MK spouses, MK/TCK care workers, MK authors, and others through that experience. I've learned about many services and communities that exist for MKs and their families, and I've also learned where there are areas of need, and I hope to contribute toward fulfilling those needs as time goes by.

As for my past, I grew up in Austria and Germany, though my family spent most of our time in a small village in Austria. I attended the local school, rather than a boarding school, which is how I ended up getting to know the language and culture very well, but without the chance to build friendships with other MKs at the time. I don't mind it though; I miss our life over there a lot actually.

Anyway, I always enjoy hearing other MKs' stories, and I look forward to meeting more of you! :)

Upvote 0

Ptilinopus

May 1, 2007
Parkes NSW
✟15,810.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You might be a MK/TCK if:
- you sort your Christmas mailing list by continents
- you can speak three languages, and can t spell in any of them
- you cruise the Internet looking for fonts that support your "native" language's alphabet.
- you feel you need to move after you've lived in the same place for a month/year...
- you have a name in at least two different languages, and it's not the same one.
- you don't think that two hours is a long sermon.
- you haggle with the checkout girl for a lower price.
- you refer to gravel roads as highways.
- fitting 15 or more people into a car seems normal to you.
- you know how to pack.
- you realize that furlough is not a vacation.
- you do your devotions in another language.
- you have friends from or in 29 different countries.
- you speak with authority on the subject of airline travel.
- you can cut grass with a machete, but can't start a lawnmower.
- you watch nature documentaries, and think about how good that animal would taste if it were fried.
- you consider a city 500 km away to be "very close".
- you have a time zone map next to your telephone.
- you read National Geographic and recognize someone.
- you can't answer the question, "Where are you from?" in less than 20 minutes.
- the family gathers round the computer to check the email.
- you forget that your grandparents speak only English.
- you have a passport but no driver s license.
- you watch National Geographic channel and recognize someone.
- you keep dreaming of a green Christmas.
- you wince when people mispronounce foreign words.
- you have strong opinions on how to cook bugs.
- you know there is no such thing as an international language.
- most of your friends can t speak English.
- you watch a movie set in a foreign country, and you know what the local people are REALLY saying!
- you think nothing of straddling white lines to pass between buses or trucks travelling side by side, because There was plenty of room, Officer! Honest! At least 15 centimetres clearance!
- the message on your answering machine is in two languages.
- you habitually buy food supplies in bulk.
- you are cold when it is 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JesusChristChick

Servant of God Almighty
Mar 25, 2008
I am from Michigan.
✟20,421.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jeremiah 31:16
This is what the LORD says: "Restrain your voice from weeping and your eyes from tears, for your work will be rewarded," declares the LORD. "They will return from the land of the enemy.

:)

GOD BLESS YOU.

Upvote 0