• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Missing The Symptoms

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My brother (one year older than me) had a heart attack about a year ago. I went for a cardiac stress test then that showed no problems. After I had chest pains in May I went for another cardiac stress test that showed an ST depression(?) toward the end. They told me to talk to a cardiologist ASAP! I saw one and he did a cardiac catheterization that showed severe blockage in three arteries. I'm having triple bypass surgery on September 2. I had a period of time when I was afraid, but then I remembered that 1) I have the peace that passes all understanding in Christ and 2) that the surgeon told me that there is a less than one percent chance of having any serious problems as a result of the surgery. (I thought the odds were greater than that just driving home.)

Relatives have told me that the recovery is not painful but that I MUST do everything they tell me to do for a successful recovery.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I know something about that as it was prominent in my family history; though I escaped the "bypass" and only needed several stents to open the arteries. Rest will be required at first, then some walking around home, and later regular walking daily. Exercise and good diet will be important for the future. Follow the directions given.

It has been found by many post-op people that holding a pillow against the chest when inclined to cough is wise, for it feels better. As you say, look up always, for God always cares!

Reactions: blessedmomof5
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, I know something about that as it was prominent in my family history; though I escaped the "bypass" and only needed several stents to open the arteries. Rest will be required at first, then some walking around home, and later regular walking daily. Exercise and good diet will be important for the future. Follow the directions given.

It has been found by many post-op people that holding a pillow against the chest when inclined to cough is wise, for it feels better. As you say, look up always, for God always cares!

Yes, my brother-in-law who had bypass surgery told me about the pillow. Thanks for the kind wishes.

Upvote 0

blessedmomof5

Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
ny
✟79,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[QUOTE="Bob Carabbio, post: and After taking advantage of the "Silver Sneakers" medicare program, Gold's Gym membership is free,
Are you still taking advantage of the silver sneakers program?
I had enrolled my dad in that years ago.

The Recovery from this one has been a little more challenging,

My dad would say the same with every procedure, he'd always say it takes time I'm getting older! I don't bounce back like I use to!

My Blood chemistry is good, and has been for years.
Yay! Great news!

SO - 5 new stents in the last 6 months bringing the total to 21. They'e talking implanted de-fib/pacemaker,
Did you have the defibrillator implanted?
I remember learning about the difference between that and a pacemaker for my dad.

He had the defibrillator implanted. It was a big decision.
I Pray you are doing well, and are out of the depression

Upvote 0