• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Stringfellow_Hawke

Jul 4, 2018
West Virginia
✟37,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For those who don't know, my wife and I are expecting our first child. Due 4/19/19.

Each day, as I understand, the chances of a miscarriage go down (correct me if I'm wrong.)

I've Googled what to do in the event that she miscarriages (God forbid) and I honestly can't find anything. I've found articles about being supportive after the fact but nothing on what to do when it happens.

I realize the child is dead (for lack of better wording) but still, do I need to get to the hospital as fast as I can? Should I call EMTs to handle it? Could she be at risk for any bad infection?

I feel like a real bone head for asking, but I don't want to assume something and be wrong.

• Prayers
Reactions: Not David

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
For those who don't know, my wife and I are expecting our first child. Due 4/19/19.

Each day, as I understand, the chances of a miscarriage go down (correct me if I'm wrong.)

I've Googled what to do in the event that she miscarriages (God forbid) and I honestly can't find anything. I've found articles about being supportive after the fact but nothing on what to do when it happens.

I realize the child is dead (for lack of better wording) but still, do I need to get to the hospital as fast as I can? Should I call EMTs to handle it? Could she be at risk for any bad infection?

I feel like a real bone head for asking, but I don't want to assume something and be wrong.

If your wife should have any sort of pain or bleeding, or if after the baby begins to kick he stops, call an ambulance.

My God bless you and your family, you nervous father you.

Upvote 0

Llleopard

Jun 5, 2018
Hawkes Bay New Zealand
✟135,529.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Warning slightly graphic description of miscarriage experience, so please don't read if this might be upsetting. From my own experience, I can say there might not be time to call anyone else. From the moment I could feel something was wrong to losing my 16 week pregnancy on the bathroom floor in a public building, was about 5min tops. I was on my own, but a bystander (was a trained nurse,eternally grateful)came in and helped me, and took me to ed in her car. I had no time to even consider whether what was happening was minor or serious before it was all over. It's important to take anything you can salvage to hospital so they can investigate what went wrong, if you can. Personally, I was bleeding heavily, so it was important to get to help fast. There can also be remains left inside, so some women need a d & c. So, what helped me was: a calm person taking a lead support role. She saw me going into shock, and helped me use my sweatshirt to pad the bleeding. She rescued what was on the floor in a caring manner. She helped me clean up the room - I was irrationally focused on how much mess I was making and it made me panic. Drove calmly, Stayed and reassured with me until I went for surgery.
I hope that you don't need any of that, but I think it's better to know the kind of thing that can happen-nobody told me the what if s in antenatal class. And 20 years later, it still makes me upset to think about. Having a loving partner who loved her as well and cried and grieved with me would have been wonderful. Just someone to be there.

Upvote 0

Stringfellow_Hawke

Jul 4, 2018
West Virginia
✟37,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Warning slightly graphic description of miscarriage experience, so please don't read if this might be upsetting. From my own experience, I can say there might not be time to call anyone else. From the moment I could feel something was wrong to losing my 16 week pregnancy on the bathroom floor in a public building, was about 5min tops. I was on my own, but a bystander (was a trained nurse,eternally grateful)came in and helped me, and took me to ed in her car. I had no time to even consider whether what was happening was minor or serious before it was all over. It's important to take anything you can salvage to hospital so they can investigate what went wrong, if you can. Personally, I was bleeding heavily, so it was important to get to help fast. There can also be remains left inside, so some women need a d & c. So, what helped me was: a calm person taking a lead support role. She saw me going into shock, and helped me use my sweatshirt to pad the bleeding. She rescued what was on the floor in a caring manner. She helped me clean up the room - I was irrationally focused on how much mess I was making and it made me panic. Drove calmly, Stayed and reassured with me until I went for surgery.
I hope that you don't need any of that, but I think it's better to know the kind of thing that can happen-nobody told me the what if s in antenatal class. And 20 years later, it still makes me upset to think about. Having a loving partner who loved her as well and cried and grieved with me would have been wonderful. Just someone to be there.

So sorry that happened to you.
Thanks for the information as I’ll take this to heart.

• Friendly
Reactions: Llleopard
Upvote 0