Miracles and the nature of God

Vanellus

Sep 15, 2014
✟115,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In the gospels we're told that the miracles of Jesus manifested his glory and encouraged faith in his followers. That is the miracles (healing etc.) were not just to meet the immediate need but had a theological purpose. I think the same could be said for many (if not all) of the miracles in the OT. But what about more recent miracles?

For the sake of argument let us accept that at least some more recent healings are genuine. These may encourage faith in those affected but don't have the same kind of theological significance as, say, the parting of the Red Sea or the feeding of the 5000.

But then there are many occasions where bad things happen to people even if much prayer has been made. Doesn't this make God seem arbitrary and even unfair? Does this cast doubt on the genuineness of modern miracles?

I realize that Job was told, in effect, not to question God's actions, but non believers sometimes point to this apparent arbitrariness as a stumbling block to faith. What is the answer?

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In the gospels we're told that the miracles of Jesus manifested his glory and encouraged faith in his followers. That is the miracles (healing etc.) were not just to meet the immediate need but had a theological purpose. I think the same could be said for many (if not all) of the miracles in the OT. But what about more recent miracles?

For the sake of argument let us accept that at least some more recent healings are genuine. These may encourage faith in those affected but don't have the same kind of theological significance as, say, the parting of the Red Sea or the feeding of the 5000.

But then there are many occasions where bad things happen to people even if much prayer has been made. Doesn't this make God seem arbitrary and even unfair? Does this cast doubt on the genuineness of modern miracles?

I realize that Job was told, in effect, not to question God's actions, but non believers sometimes point to this apparent arbitrariness as a stumbling block to faith. What is the answer?
God will never do something that would cause someone to lose their salvation, there are no doubt other reasons but as you said it is not for us to question God.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What I would say is that the modern-day church, the part of it that does experience miracles, is much the same way as the Old Testament. Only a portion of people are healed etc. As was the case in the OT.

Luke 4:25-27 But I tell you truly, many widows were in Israel in the days of Elijah, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, and there was a great famine throughout all the land; but to none of them was Elijah sent except to Zarephath, in the region of Sidon, to a woman who was a widow. And many lepers were in Israel in the time of Elisha the prophet, and none of them was cleansed except Naaman the Syrian."

There are a number of reasons for this:

- Much of the church is in unbelief, even those with faith struggle to believe at a high or consistent level.
- The Bible nowhere says we can heal everyone, it says God has granted gifts to individuals in the church, these people do not operate 100% of the time in their gifts, even for those God has appointed.
- Many people don't think to or want to seek out healing from God.
- Fear often prevents the Christian from reaching out in faith to offer prayer.
- Some people are unworthy to operate in the gifting, so no amount of prayer will activate it.

There are many human factors and weaknesses that prevent healing from occurring regularly.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
For the sake of argument let us accept that at least some more recent healings are genuine.
When God performs a miracle He restores everything back to His original purpose. It is difficult to prove that there was ever a problem in the first place that needed a miracle. There are doctors who will use the spontaneous healing theory. Or spontaneous remission. They claim no miracle, they just healed themselves or it went into remission. Even if the odds or chance was only 3%.

Upvote 0