Utah
✟6,492.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ampoliros said:
I wonder if illegal immigration has increased into New mexico, texas, and california as a result of this, though. I mean, if you really wanted to get into the country, I don't see why you couldn't simply go around these patrollers.

The point is the statement being made. Citizens aren't going to let policy makers have all the say. When people want their grievences redressed they speak out. Sure illegals are still getting in. But they have been put on NOTICE to obey the law.

Upvote 0

ChristianMotherof2

Mar 31, 2005
Nashville, Tn
✟644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Sorry I know many illegal immigrants in this land and them coming over like this isn't all. Some come over on a legal visa and just stay when the card expires. And to quote someone that they only make $3-4 dollars a hour. ARE YOU OUT YOUR MIND. Most of them make more than 10.00 dollars a hour. They are hired because the company that hires them doesn't have to pay taxes for them to work. They can pay them under the table. This is a growing problem in America. I am all for the MinuteMan Project. If I had my way I would be at the border right now. I think this is a excellant idea and I hope that they continue. These are the type of Americans that we need.

Upvote 0

MaryS

Sep 12, 2004
✟3,195.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Zippythepinhead said:
The point is the statement being made. Citizens aren't going to let policy makers have all the say. When people want their grievences redressed they speak out. Sure illegals are still getting in. But they have been put on NOTICE to obey the law.

EXACTLY!

The majority of illegal immigrants are in California, New York, Texas, and Florida....but the easiest border-crossing is in Arizona. I appreciate what the minutemen are doing, but I think if they were to expand into California they would probably be arrested.

Southern California is a sanctuary for illegal immigrants. When the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents were working in the Los Angeles area, local politicians were on the news channels complaining that Mexicans were being targetted and they were demanding that ICE agents leave the area.

One of the candidates running for Mayor of Los Angeles is a lawyer and he said there was no reason that Los Angeles should have a law that forbids the police from questioning a person's immigration status because local police work to enforce other federal laws.........that candidate didn't even make it beyond the primaries to get on the ballot!

Robert C. Bonner, the president's appointed Border and Customs Commissioner, was on a local educational access channel. He said that they deported over 2 million illegal immigrants in the year 2003 and the help of citizens to identify the illegals is always welcome. GEEZ, there were a lot of calls to the channel by people complaining to Bonner about the deportations!

I think Reagan's amnesty for illegals and the subsequent amnesties under Clinton were a bad idea, probably causing more to want to enter the USA illegally. I don't even agree with Bush's guest-worker program, although at least they would be here with documents and background checks.

Upvote 0

zoink

:-)
Apr 13, 2004
West of the rockies
✟1,969.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
TScott said:
WRONG!

It's been tried, for decades. It doesn't work. You send farming overseas-look at sugar beets. Used to be a giant crop in the US. Went to US labor and the whole industry just dried up and all sugar beets come from abroad now. Americans won't do the labor that is required for many Ag jobs. It is the facts of life. You just aren't facing up to it.
If all sugar beets com from abroad why can I smell the second largest sugar beet factory in the world?
I know several rather affluent teens from a local private school who work pollinating and detasseling in corn fields during the summer, pay is around $6.25 an hour. Granted the Mexican crews are needed, but more and more white kids are forming crews.

Sincerely,
zoink

Upvote 0

Borealis

Catholic Homeschool Dad
Dec 8, 2003
Barrie, Ontario
✟10,009.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
CA-Conservatives
UberLutheran said:
If a conservative links an article from newsmax, worldnetdaily, townhall, etc., then there seems to be an assumption that we should take these articles as being absolutely, completely factual and without the slightest hint of bias.

On the other hand, if a liberal links from the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, the BBC, or Canada, the assumption is that these sources are biased and therefore to be discredited.

Could somebody mind telling me exactly why that is?

You are aware that the reverse is true for anything that comes from CBS, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, CNN, NYT, LAT, WaPost...

Upvote 0

Borealis

Catholic Homeschool Dad
Dec 8, 2003
Barrie, Ontario
✟10,009.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
CA-Conservatives
UberLutheran said:
Does anybody feel like cleaning toilets and washrooms, picking fruit and vegetables out in the hot sun, or working a minimum wage job for $5.15/hour with NO benefits?

In the summer time? Teenagers. It's not like they aren't capable. Unplug the television and get them out working. Two problems solved right there.

Because -- if we get rid of those AWFUL illegal immigrants, somebody is going to have to do those jobs or we're going to have dirty, smelly washrooms, rotten fruit and vegetables (and we do have is going to cost a fortune), and many of us are probably going to have to learn to clean our own houses.

Oh...do you have an illegal immigrant maid? I know I don't; I've never had any sort of maid service, because I can't afford it. Most people can't. Most people do, in fact, clean their own houses. As for the rest...well, I believe the old saying is, 'It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.' And if the illegals are removed from the equation, the system will fix itself through natural processes. The workers will take the jobs, and the employers will have to sweeten the pot with either benefits or raises, or else they won't have any employees.

Once again -- another "gray area" issue. Real life isn't "black and white".

No, it's not. It's actually multicolored and sparkly, if you look at it in the right light.

Upvote 0

Ninja Turtles

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Borealis said:
You are aware that the reverse is true for anything that comes from CBS, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, CNN, NYT, LAT, WaPost...
Yeah, sources that actually don't tell half the story and have a record of being accurate aren't better news sources. :doh:

Upvote 0

Borealis

Catholic Homeschool Dad
Dec 8, 2003
Barrie, Ontario
✟10,009.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ninja Turtles said:
Yeah, sources that actually don't tell half the story and have a record of being accurate aren't better news sources. :doh:

Exactly. Oh, wait, you were being sarcastic? Funny, because CBS has absolutely no credibility anymore, and none of the media I mentioned EVER tells the whole story. They only tell the part they want you to hear. So no, they aren't better news sources. They're just older and more established.

Upvote 0
R

Redneck

zoink said:
If all sugar beets com from abroad why can I smell the second largest sugar beet factory in the world?
I know several rather affluent teens from a local private school who work pollinating and detasseling in corn fields during the summer, pay is around $6.25 an hour. Granted the Mexican crews are needed, but more and more white kids are forming crews.

Sincerely,
zoink

$6.25 an hour isn't even minimum wage in Washington State...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ninja Turtles

Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Borealis said:
Exactly. Oh, wait, you were being sarcastic? Funny, because CBS has absolutely no credibility anymore, and none of the media I mentioned EVER tells the whole story. They only tell the part they want you to hear. So no, they aren't better news sources. They're just older and more established.
Yet those same news sites always seem to be the news sites that are consulted when you need to get the whole story. And for some reason...they contain BOTH sides of the story. :doh:

To try and put something like WND on par with any of the news sources you listed is laughable. The simple fact that they didn't even research a person that claimed to be a Nobel Prize nominee shows they don't care about the truth. And unlike the one incident you'll see with other news sources, they do it repeatedly.

I will accept that CBS has no credibility, but using your logic, WND has absolutely no credibility also.

Upvote 0

Borealis

Catholic Homeschool Dad
Dec 8, 2003
Barrie, Ontario
✟10,009.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ninja Turtles said:
Yet those same news sites always seem to be the news sites that are consulted when you need to get the whole story. And for some reason...they contain BOTH sides of the story. :doh:

Actually, I only check them to get a different spin on the story, or when I need a good laugh (the Toronto Star is especially good for this). But I rarely, if ever, see the 'whole story' on one of the aforementioned media.

To try and put something like WND on par with any of the news sources you listed is laughable. The simple fact that they didn't even research a person that claimed to be a Nobel Prize nominee shows they don't care about the truth. And unlike the one incident you'll see with other news sources, they do it repeatedly.

Oh, please. First of all, I don't put WND on par with any of the news sources I listed; I never mentioned WND. However, I would trust them more than I would trust the establishment media, because as everyone knows, the establishment is the dinosaur and must be opposed by the fresh and new.

Secondly, to claim that the other news sources don't repeatedly ignore facts in their quest to spin a story their way means you're wearing the darkest media blinders in history.

I will accept that CBS has no credibility, but using your logic, WND has absolutely no credibility also.

I never said they did. Don't confuse me with someone else's postings. However, I put my news sources to a test. Most news sources include commentators who prognosticate on the consequences of whatever stories they discuss. After a few months, I check to see who's crystal balls were clearest. In most cases, the mainstream media has proven to be very, very foggy. The other sources, however, have demonstrated a much clearer vision and accuracy than the establishment has.

Upvote 0

TScott

Curmudgeon
Apr 19, 2002
Arizona
Visit site
✟11,974.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
zoink said:

Sincerely,
zoink
Thanks. I stand corrected. My information was based on conversations with people in the industry in the 80s. It is still true that only 35% of the sugar beet farmers in the US break even. (According to the USDA)
But the point here is that we need the migrant workers. We certainly need them in the Imperial and San Fernando Valleys where 80% of the table vegetables are grown.

Upvote 0

anathema

Feb 14, 2005
Kill the Rabbit
✟573.00
Faith
Christian
I live in Phoenix, arizona. If it wasnt for illegal migrant workers, your crops would not be grown, your restaurants would not be open, your landscaping wouldnt be done, hotel room wouldnt be clean among MANY other things that migrant workers do.

I used to drive everyday between a few cotton and veggie farms. When its harvest or planting time, you dont see middle class white folks out there, you see the hardest working and motivated mexicans you will ever meet working 14 hours a day so you can have the shirt on your back and the veggies on your table. I bartend at a restaurant, our entire back of house (besides recently two cooks) is mexican, hardworking and some very nice people. One of our dishwashers WALKED most of the way from honduras to have a better life.

All the farms that I have seen here, and in colorado where I used to live had ALL migrant workers. All the restaurants I have been in and seen have latino cooks/bussers/dish/prep. I dont know any white middle class teenager who would wash dishes at a restaurant for a job. Not one.

The bush administration is on the fence, they KNOW our economy relies on these migrant workers pretty heavily.

Upvote 0

Ninja Turtles

Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Borealis said:
Oh, please. First of all, I don't put WND on par with any of the news sources I listed; I never mentioned WND. However, I would trust them more than I would trust the establishment media, because as everyone knows, the establishment is the dinosaur and must be opposed by the fresh and new.
You responded to a comment that included World Net Daily as you defended it against the MSM. You know what I'll call all right-wing media LLML (Lies, Lies, and More Lies). A list of LLML was given, which included WND, you defended it as if it were a legitimate news source. You cite that CBS as no longer a credible source, but then you call another LLML source more reputable despite the fact that it has a worse track record? :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paula

Veteran
Oct 15, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟17,178.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
anathema said:
All the farms that I have seen here, and in colorado where I used to live had ALL migrant workers. All the restaurants I have been in and seen have latino cooks/bussers/dish/prep. I dont know any white middle class teenager who would wash dishes at a restaurant for a job. Not one.

The bush administration is on the fence, they KNOW our economy relies on these migrant workers pretty heavily.

A good temporary guestworker program would resolve that problem.

Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟25,648.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It seems that some of these comments "for" illegals could be in regards to race and I don't feel the issue is about race.

It's also a matter of people feeling "sorry" for these individuals b/c of where they are from and the lack of oportunities they have. Help was given to another country in the Middle East and many people are not happy about that (?).

True, it is very sad that these individuals are subject to live the way they do.however, I firmly believe that there is a process that everyone should go by. LEGALLY. I do not feel it is a reasonable justification to say that it is acceptable for Mexicans to come here illegally just the same.
We are definitely stereotyping when we consistently speak about hispanic people being the hardest workers that you will come by. It would be just the same to say that these same illegals are abusing our welfare system fraudulently.

But that is another thread.
14_1_107v.gif

Upvote 0

Zippythepinhead

Contributor
Jan 5, 2005
Utah
✟6,492.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ginny said:
It seems that some of these comments "for" illegals could be in regards to race and I don't feel the issue is about race.

It's also a matter of people feeling "sorry" for these individuals b/c of where they are from and the lack of oportunities they have. Help was given to another country in the Middle East and many people are not happy about that (?).

True, it is very sad that these individuals are subject to live the way they do.however, I firmly believe that there is a process that everyone should go by. LEGALLY. I do not feel it is a reasonable justification to say that it is acceptable for Mexicans to come here illegally just the same.
We are definitely stereotyping when we consistently speak about hispanic people being the hardest workers that you will come by. It would be just the same to say that these same illegals are abusing our welfare system fraudulently.

But that is another thread.
14_1_107v.gif
Well Put!:clap:

Upvote 0

Milla

Apr 24, 2004
✟19,230.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Zippythepinhead said:
Hey if these guys are vigilantes, they are doing a fine job:thumbsup:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2005/4/6/213303.shtml

Sure. And when they go home, all the people who were planning to cross will cross then. Or possibly we shall see a surge in illegal immigration over the Texas border a week or two from now, when the coyotes have time to reroute. It's not a fix, it's not even a band-aid. It's a tourniquet. Sure, it's stopping the bleeding now, but it may cause bigger problems in the long run if allowed to stay in place.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.