Mint smells bad!

Homie

Gods servant
Jul 8, 2002
Visit site
✟15,878.00
Faith
Christian
Mint has an awful smell. But I seem to be the only one to realize it. We have all been conditioned through commercials, what people say and whatnot to believe that the smell is good, even though it uncomfortable to our senses.

I bet ifyou brainwashed somone from birth to believe that poop smells good they would believe it.

Rebell against the mint!

Percheron

Sep 28, 2004
Where I live
✟402.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
That type of conditioning happens, you're right, but it's most often employed to cause people to be more receptive of certain sociopolitical positions and agendas i.e. Equality, Multiculturalism, Tolerance, the list goes on. Persuading people of something that goes against their natural physical sensate preferences is a lot more difficult. I don't think mint smells awful, nor do most others as far am I'm aware. Hence its popularity. You'd be hard-pressed to convince me that I like it because I've been brainwashed or indoctrinated. Have you considered the possibility that you are merely in a small group of folks who -for whatever reason- don't care for mint, but others actually do like it, which is not due to any type of conditioning?

Homie said:
Mint has an awful smell. But I seem to be the only one to realize it. We have all been conditioned through commercials, what people say and whatnot to believe that the smell is good, even though it uncomfortable to our senses.

I bet ifyou brainwashed somone from birth to believe that poop smells good they would believe it.

Rebell against the mint!

Upvote 0

Homie

Gods servant
Jul 8, 2002
Visit site
✟15,878.00
Faith
Christian
Percheron said:
Have you considered the possibility that you are merely in a small group of folks who -for whatever reason- don't care for mint, but others actually do like it, which is not due to any type of conditioning?
I am open minded, and that seems like the obvious solution. Yet, it still think that people are conditioned to think they like the smell of it; that's from years of experience and thinking about this. This is not just something that popped into my mind today.

I notice people say it is "fresh". There is nothing fresh about it, fresh is a cold wind or clean rain. It is not fresh but rather gives you a burning sensation that POORLY mimicks freshness, it is a chemical-like fake kind of "fresh". But why do people say it is fresh, because that is what they say in the commercials, and also what people have been saying since this generation was young.

Upvote 0

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Homie said:

Rebell against the mint!
Your post smells of mint.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EverlastingMan

Dec 7, 2005
HI
✟15,649.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Liking or not liking things is a matter of genetics in most cases, it is something you are born with. There are things that are aquired, a zest for slugs or frogs for instance. But most of it is not aquired. What is more your accusation that it poorly mimics fresh is, well, subjective; I think it very fresh.
Also I fail to see how this qualifies as philisophical.

Upvote 0

psychedelicist

aka the Akhashic Record Player
Aug 9, 2004
McKinney, Texas
✟18,251.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
I always hated peppermint, but I like spearmint.

EverlastingMan said:
Also I fail to see how this qualifies as philisophical.

I don't know what kind of boring pseudophilosophical garbage you're used to debating (crap like determinism and the existence of god and whatnot), but I think this idea rocks all modern ideas and concepts of philosophy as we know it. You'd have to be blind not to see it. Your blindness to it's obvius philosophical relevance is a prime example of 'mint conditioning' at it's finest.

Upvote 0

EverlastingMan

Dec 7, 2005
HI
✟15,649.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have not been conditioned to any view of philosophy. This however does not seem to be really philisophical, though it does have some similarties. Now mayhaps you can show me how this qualifies as philisophical, and please don't just say it is my duty to prove how it isn't not yours to prove how it is, and stop calling me a brainwashed ignoramous.
As to why I don't think it philispophical:
Philisophy I think can be best defined as: a pursuit of knowledge; an attempt to understand reality based on conjectural grounds rather than factual.
This issue does meet this definition, to some extent. However it seems more of some silly question/conspiracy theory, with no real point and certainly unresolvable. What is more this issue can be best resolved not by speculation but by factual observations. Thus it is philisophical, but only to the extent that we can philosophy on issues that are mainly scientific, ie evolution, the nature of the universe. WHich in my opinion just about invalidates any qualifications it has as philosophy

Upvote 0

Osiris

Übermensch
Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
✟4,264.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
EverlastingMan said:
I have not been conditioned to any view of philosophy. This however does not seem to be really philisophical, though it does have some similarties. Now mayhaps you can show me how this qualifies as philisophical, and please don't just say it is my duty to prove how it isn't not yours to prove how it is, and stop calling me a brainwashed ignoramous.

Do you believe humans are born with morals? Do you think notions of good are absolute?

Do you think these are philosophical questions? Do you believe the notion of mint as an absolute?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gardenia

Of the Hearth and Hedge
May 1, 2005
New Hampshire
✟18,792.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I love mint, but I think it's because I've been eating mint leaves from the garden since I was really little, not because someone brainwashed me. Maybe I'm wrong, and someone did though. I still like mint. :p
I know several people who hate mint.
(I hate some mint.. lots of mint is gross.. like in toothpaste and mouthwash. :sick: )

Now... if we were talking about onions and garlic, which I hate, I would definietly say everyone has been brainwashed from a young age to love these! ;)

Upvote 0

ericf

Credo Quia Absurdum
Jun 12, 2004
FL
✟8,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
There are some factors of smell which are not shared. A dislike of mint could be one of those but it wouldn't be a learned thing. The like or dislike is just a sensory thing.

I happen to be one of the rare types of likes the smell of skunk. If it was possible to have a trained aversion of my senses -- that is one that would/should have developed. I've never met a person who can stand the smell at all. I think that is smells rather pleasant unless it is truly over-powering.

People don't like mint because they've been told they like mint... they just do. And can you describe what a rose smells like (without using the word flowery)? Smells do not have many direct word connections, so asking someone to explain why they like or dislike a smell is a monumental task which sounds far easier than it actually is.

Upvote 0

TooCurious

Kitten with a ball of string
Aug 10, 2003
✟10,481.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
ericf said:
There are some factors of smell which are not shared. A dislike of mint could be one of those but it wouldn't be a learned thing. The like or dislike is just a sensory thing.

I happen to be one of the rare types of likes the smell of skunk. If it was possible to have a trained aversion of my senses -- that is one that would/should have developed. I've never met a person who can stand the smell at all. I think that is smells rather pleasant unless it is truly over-powering.

People don't like mint because they've been told they like mint... they just do. And can you describe what a rose smells like (without using the word flowery)? Smells do not have many direct word connections, so asking someone to explain why they like or dislike a smell is a monumental task which sounds far easier than it actually is.

I actually don't object to the smell of skunk either. This could be, in part, because when I was in high school I had a friend who was an Animal Control Officer, and her car frequently smelled of skunk.

Like the OP, I'm also not terribly fond of mint, and I'm inclined to agree with the pseudo-"freshness" observation.

Upvote 0