Millionaire turned CA seminarian: How this 50-year-old decided to become a priest

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At age 50, seminarian Scott-Vincent Borba doesn't consider his to be a late vocation.

"God called me at age 10," he told OSV News. "I just accepted late."

Now in his pastoral year at St. Patrick's University and Seminary in Menlo Park, California, Borba chuckled as he recalled his first meeting with his vocation director — to which he drove a luxury car and wore an expensive black suit.

"(The director) opened the door, looked at me and said, 'I have got a lot of work to do on you,'" recalled Borba, who is studying to be a priest for the Diocese of Fresno.

But his automotive and fashion choices for the meeting were to be somewhat expected.

After all, Borba had been an internationally famous cosmetics executive, who before age 30 had spearheaded successful business campaigns for some of beauty's biggest brands, including Neutrogena, Sebastian, Joico, Murad and Hard Candy. He was co-founder of the e.l.f line of products, which had made him a household name, and had even developed his own eponymous brand of skin-balancing water, with Anheuser-Busch signing on for a marketing and distribution deal.

Continued below.