• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Microsoft Edge on...Linux?!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by PrayerWarrior20, Oct 17, 2020.

1. PrayerWarrior20

PrayerWarrior20 Just your average man who has great abilities. Angels Team Supporter

+733
    United States
    Reformed
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    To my fellow Linux users here on CF...have you heard that by the end of this month the infamous Edge Chromium browser will be available on Linux through the RPM or DEB packaging systems? Would you use it? I will be as I found Edge to be more productive, easier to navigate, and safer than Chrome. What are your thoughts on this?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Wookiee

Wookiee Cool. Cool, cool, cool.

+67
    Australia
    Christian
    Divorced
    AU-Liberals
    Makes sense. Since it's Chromium, it's not like they have to do a lot more to get it going.

I've been using Edge (instead of Chrome) for the last few months, so in that respect - if I were to use a distro for general use - I'd use it for the data syncing. But since I only have one or two Linux devices with a desktop environment (that I don't tend to use often anyway), I doubt I'll be trying it any time soon.

3. PrayerWarrior20

PrayerWarrior20 Just your average man who has great abilities. Angels Team Supporter

+733
    United States
    Reformed
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Wookie,
    Out of curiosity do you use Linux or Windows? And what linux do you use?

4. Anthony2019

Anthony2019 Pax et bonum! CF Ambassadors Supporter

+7,283
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    I'll probably give Edge a look-in when it comes out, but probably won't use it as my daily browser.
    Currently I use Firefox (the standard offering with my distro) which does everything I need. With the retirement of Flash, I use the Lightspark plugin which handles everything very well. I've also got a browser called Gnome Web (Epiphany) which is light and snappy.

5. Wookiee

Wookiee Cool. Cool, cool, cool.

+67
    Australia
    Christian
    Divorced
    AU-Liberals
    - Windows 10 on all the devices I use often
    - Proxmox (which is Debian-based) on all of my home and work servers
    - A combination of Debian and Ubuntu (usually Debian) on most of my virtualised servers (and most of these don't have a graphical shell installed)
    - Windows Server 2019 (virtualised) at work

I like KDE and would be more inclined to use it, just a lot of stuff I like to use doesn't run properly (or at all) on Linux, and I've had issues with multi-monitor setups and stuff.

6. Anthony2019

Anthony2019 Pax et bonum! CF Ambassadors Supporter

+7,283
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    I used to love using KDE, especially back in the days of KDE3 and KDE4. For many years I have stuck with Fedora which uses Gnome by default. Gnome 3 took some getting used to when it first came out, but these days I find it works well for me.

7. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+6,512
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    Just because it exists doesn't mean I have to use it. :)

8. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+7,223
    Presbyterian
    Single
    They did this years ago. Didn’t really support it and it died. I’ll believe they’re serious abou Linux when they release Office.

9. PrayerWarrior20

+733
    United States
    Reformed
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    hedrick,
    I heard from someone in the MS Insider Forum that claims they are "dead serious" about releasing Edge for Linux by the end of the month.

10. ralfyman

ralfyman Member

+79
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    I read that Edge works like Chrome but is faster because Microsoft was able to use Windows resources to do so. I don't know if the same can be done in Linux systems.

11. PrayerWarrior20

+733
    United States
    Reformed
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Breaking News-I just went to the Microsoft Edge Insider webpage. Guess what?!

Microsoft Edge Insider

The Linux debs and Rpms are available!

12. PrayerWarrior20

+733
    United States
    Reformed
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    I just downloaded the browser. It works good...minus the not being able to sign in to your profile piece.

13. nonaeroterraqueous

nonaeroterraqueous Nonexistent Member

+2,350
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    I don't need Edge, personally, but having used Skype for Linux I kind of appreciate their involvement in a competing platform.

14. PrayerWarrior20

+733
    United States
    Reformed
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    How is Skype on Linux? I never have used that before...