Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by sulphur
sounds like things around here

There is nothing wrong with that at all. This is a market place for ideas and people present their beliefs for others to read. There do not have to be any clear winners or losers. Actually, we can all be winners if we effectively communicate our beliefs to others.

Everyone just wants equal representation for what they believe. If you want to ban the beliefs of others that basicly is book burning. Not to say we should not burn book on terrorism or things that are clearly destructive. But I do not think anyone is suggesting we should burn Darwin's book. Although creationists feel that their beliefs should receive equal representation as what the evolutionist beliefs are given. That is what freedom is all about. Freedom to believe as you choose. Freedom to share your beliefs with others. As long as it has been demonstrated that there is nothing harmful to others in your beliefs. For example, your not allowed to yell  "FIRE" in a movie theater, if there is no fire. You could create a panic that could cause harm and injury to others.

Another consideration is what impact our beliefs can have on others that they may not even be aware of. I have had people debate me to the line on something. Then years later I will run across something they wrote and find out they are now promoting the very thing they argued with me against.

There are a lot of people who read these boards that do not post and I really do believe it has a impact on the collective conscience. If I did not think it made a difference, I would be off doing something else.

We seem to have time to think these things through and work out all the intricate details. There are others who do not have time for that and they are more than willing to allow others to do their thinking for them in some of these different areas.

For example, I know lots of christians who do not have time to think about Darwin. If I gave them a opinion on it, they would accept it without even thinking about it. Because they know that I have spent some time to think about it and check it out.

Of course we have the advantage that we own a TV station and our weekly program is on 1/3 of the TV sets in the world. :)

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by sulphur
Would you burn abook called "the first jesuits" by thomas'o malley because the religious belief directly contradict yours?

Not if I had to buy it first. The early church burned a lot of books.

Acts 19:19 Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver.

A peice of silver was equal to a days wage. Although the wages were not very high back then. But even if the wages were $10 a day that would still be a half a millon dollars worth of books.

Upvote 0