Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The dismissive attitudes of both Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil and Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador could result in many deaths for Latin America's most populated nations.

Mr. Bolsonaro, a far-right leader who has been in office a little more than a year, has remained defiant, continuing to dismiss the virus as a “measly cold” that does not warrant “hysteria.”

In a national address Tuesday night, Mr. Bolsonaro dismissed measures taken by governors and mayors as a “scorched earth” approach. Mr. Bolsonaro, who is 65, also said that if he were to get the virus, he would recover easily because of his “athletic background.”

Obrador:
Ruling out travel restrictions, business closings or quarantine orders, last week Mr. López Obrador suggested Mexico would be spared by divine intervention as he held up two amulets he called “my bodyguards.”

“Do not panic, and please do not stop going out,” he said in a video Sunday night. “If you have the economic capacity, keep taking your families to restaurants, because that means strengthening the family and popular economy.”

It was not until Tuesday that his government closed schools, prohibited gatherings of more than 100 people and told Mexicans to stay at home. By then, the Mexico City government had already moved to shut down much of public life.

As Latin America Shuts Down to Fight Virus, Brazil and Mexico Are Holdouts

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jair Bolsonaro has tested positive for the coronavirus.

The Brazilian president, who has consistently downplayed the dangers of the virus, revealed his positive test result during nationally televised remarks Tuesday. "It came back positive," he told reporters from behind a mask.

Bolsonaro, 65, has repeatedly doubted the severity of the virus since it first found a foothold in Brazil, reportedly in late February. A key ally of President Trump, the right-wing Brazilian leader has called the coronavirus "a little flu," accused the media of hysteria and campaigned against the shutdowns implemented by local leaders.

"I'm sorry," Bolsonaro said in April, after the country's death toll reached 5,000, "but what do you want me to do about it?"

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro Tests Positive For Coronavirus

• Informative
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jair Bolsonaro has tested positive for the coronavirus.

The Brazilian president, who has consistently downplayed the dangers of the virus, revealed his positive test result during nationally televised remarks Tuesday. "It came back positive," he told reporters from behind a mask.

Bolsonaro, 65, has repeatedly doubted the severity of the virus since it first found a foothold in Brazil, reportedly in late February. A key ally of President Trump, the right-wing Brazilian leader has called the coronavirus "a little flu," accused the media of hysteria and campaigned against the shutdowns implemented by local leaders.

"I'm sorry," Bolsonaro said in April, after the country's death toll reached 5,000, "but what do you want me to do about it?"

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro Tests Positive For Coronavirus
Karma-19

Upvote 0