Visit site
✟15,547.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As far as I know the term Methodists refers to the group of people who were lead by John Wesley ( not to be confused with wesleyjohn ha ha) because they were so "methodical". The term in present day is used mostly to refer to people of the United Methodist Church. Example I live in a town were anyone who goes to the UMC is refered to as a Methodist.

Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Methodist was the name of our church at one time. Many of the old timers and those of us who grew up with them still call ourselves that in the United Methodist Church. I really try not to because:
It's the same as us calling ourselves American and thinking we are the only ones, when in fact, Canadians and Mexicans are Americans, too.
There are many Methodists out there. Evangelical Methodists, Free Methodists, African Methodist Epscopal Zion, African Methodist Episcopal, and Christian Methodist Episcopal to name a few. For us to assume that we are Methodists and they aren't is insulting in my view (I am UM and go to an AMEZ seminary--it was an eye opener for me on my language)
Originally, the term was a type of insult or jibe at John WEsley's "societies" that were within the Anglican Church--the name stuck. After the Revolutionary War, rather than be connected with the Church of England, names like Episcopal arose. Since the Methodist were a part of the Episcopal Church, they became the Methodist Episcopal Church. It didn't take long before African Americans and others split off over slavery and racial issues (hence AME, AMEZ, AND CME mentioned above). Later, around the time of the civil war, the churche split once again into the Methodist Episcopal Church and the Methodist Episcopal Church South. IN I believe 1939, many of the churches came together again (including north an south) and became the Methodist Church. In 1968, the Methodist Church joined with the United Evangelical Bretheren Church and became the United Methodist Church.
This is of course, very abrieviated--there are many others in the Wesleyan family, but I hope that clears up some of the confusion
Tommy

Upvote 0

overnight

overnight of the order
May 8, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
✟15,547.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Herev I think you have it all except correct me if I'm wrong when the Southern Methodist and Northern Methodist churches that you mentionded came together did they not call themselves the Methodists Episcopal Church. In fact the oldest cornerstone on our church still has Methodists Episcopal. These churches were often refered to as ME or just Methodists. I think anyway. I may be wrong but Wesley's "societies" are the only thing that were refered to as just plain methodists.

Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:wave: Not Quite. The oldest name here in the US was the Methodsit Episcopal Church (1784) formed from the Methodist "movement" in the Anglican Church (England) and the Episcopal church (US). In 1830, the Methodist Protestant church split off in a disagreement over District Superintendents' powers (actually, whether or not there should even be such a thing). In 1844, the Methodist Episcopal Church, South split off over slavery, leaving the Methodist Episcopal Church weakened, but intact. In 1939, all three of these churches reunited as The Methodist Church. Source: The 2000 Book of Discipline, "Historical Statement", pages 9-18. I have a more in depth diagram I use to teach Confirmation and Church Membership classes, if you are interested, I'll email it to you. (note: it's certainly not professional, I did it myself in Word)
If your church's oldest stones say Methodist Episcopal, it is older than 1939, later than 1784. All of the churches I have served were started between 1844 and 1939--and all in the south, so they all say, "Methodist Episcopal Church, South," except where one church couln't afford to have all that engraved, so it simply says, "MEC,S"
Thanks
Tommy

ps, here's a link that has all of the historical statement as found in the Discipline--it does a much better job of explaining it than I;)

http://www.umc.org/interior.asp?ptid=1&mid=346

Upvote 0

WiredSpirit

and all God's people said... meh
Jul 5, 2004
Evansville
✟2,698.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I know that the Free Methodists split off of the mother church over slavery and other human-rights issues, but when the different organizations were consolidated into the United Methodist Church they stayed separate.

Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
WiredSpirit said:
I know that the Free Methodists split off of the mother church over slavery and other human-rights issues, but when the different organizations were consolidated into the United Methodist Church they stayed separate.
true, I once had a Relgion professor who, upon hearing that I was a United Methodist, said, (and I remember the quote exactly today): Beware of assuming too much from the name of Mr. Conder's denomination. Without exception, when a denomiation calls themselves united, they usually are not. I began then to learn of all of our Wesleyan brothers and sisters who do not fall under the "united" umbrella.
Thanks for adding
God Bless

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
And just to add to the confusion, let's not forget the churches which are Methodist Presbyterian congregations. I grew up in one. The two churches combined because the Methodists had built a new building and were having trouble paying for it and the Presbs couldn't afford a building at all. So, at first, we would alternate pastors--first a Methodist for a few years, then a Presbyterian. At confirmation time you were given a choice as to which part of the congregation you belonged to. As time went on the Presbyterian population dwindled and the church has become almost all Methodist.

Down the road from me now is a Meth/Presb that I attend when my husband is away. I don't know the history of this church, but it is nice to attend a familiar old service once in a while instead of my husband's non-denom we usually go to.

Celtie

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WiredSpirit

and all God's people said... meh
Jul 5, 2004
Evansville
✟2,698.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Celticflower said:
And just to add to the confusion, let's not forget the churches which are Methodist Presbyterian congregations. I grew up in one. The two churches combined because the Methodists had built a new building and were having trouble paying for it and the Presbs couldn't afford a building at all. So, at first, we would alternate pastors--first a Methodist for a few years, then a Presbyterian. At confirmation time you were given a choice as to which part of the congregation you belonged to. As time went on the Presbyterian population dwindled and the church has become almost all Methodist.

Down the road from me now is a Meth/Presb that I attend when my husband is away. I don't know the history of this church, but it is nice to attend a familiar old service once in a while instead of my husband's non-denom we usually go to.

Celtie
I have never heard of such a thing and cannot imagine how that would work. How do they decide where to send the money? Who do they report attendance to?

Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
WiredSpirit said:
I have never heard of such a thing and cannot imagine how that would work. How do they decide where to send the money? Who do they report attendance to?
If you have access to a Discipline, it's you can find it under paragraphs 207-211, if not, pm me, and I'll email the stuff to you
Tommy

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.