Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do Methodist pastors have to take pastoral counseling classes when they are in seminary?
It depends on what ordination route you are taking and the degree program. I know that United Theological in Dayton, OH has a degree program for people wishing to become ordained and become a Hospital/Hospice Chaplain. I know Deacons don't have to take any pastoral counseling classes. I'm not sure about Elders who are pursuing an MDIV

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
There is usually some sort of pastoral counseling/pastoral care type of class. I remember my pastor telling me a few years ago that he even chose to specialize in pastoral care when in seminary. Naturally, not everyone is going to put as much focus on it, but they will get at least some instruction in it at some point.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Methodized

God is love and in God there is no darkness.
Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The Master of Divinity in most seminaries only has a smattering of counseling instruction. I am always careful never to claim to be a pastoral counseling, which is a different degree track. Pastors are now much more encourage to refer people to trained qualified counselors.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0