• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Methadone Maintenance

Illuminaughty

Drift and Doubt
May 18, 2012
✟20,609.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Currently I have a friend who has problems with addiction to vicodin, pod tea, and kratom. I was thinking of suggesting Methadone treatment but I'm not sure if it's appropriate. I know it worked for me but I was doing a lot of heroin at the time so the decision was more obvious. If he doesn't need it, I suggest it, and he goes for it I would feel kind of bad for misdirecting him. It is rather hard to get off once you get on. It's also a stronger opiate than those he is currently taking but being forced onto a regimented dose would prevent overdose. It would also dull any effects he got from other opiates and thus discourage their use. They are just a waste of time if you are strong dose .... they wont work at all.

Basically I'm wondering if people on "weaker" opiates should stay away from methadone treatment or not? His been an addict for some time too this isn't something that recently came up. He seems like he is looking for help so he might listen to me. I'm not totally sure what to say though.

RuthD

blah blah blah
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2006
Earth
✟191,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The only thing I can think of is recommending a Chemical Dependency Counselor. I don't know about the methadone either. But if he wants to come off of these meds he probably needs to go to rehab. I will pray for him.

Upvote 0

Illuminaughty

Drift and Doubt
May 18, 2012
✟20,609.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to see him Saturday and tell him to go talk to the doctor at the local clinic and see what he says. I've been on methadone for over 5 years so far and it works great for me but I wasn't sure if it was right for him or not.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Look at suboxone. It is has far less withdraw than methadone. I mean the withdraw is much shorter. It also has a ceiling effect so if you take more it doesn't effect you more so there is no abuse potential. It also has an opiate blocker in it so no opiates can be felt when on it and it gives no euphoria. I notice with methadone, it doesn't exactly get you high but it does give you a little something of a buzz or a calming effect that can be desirable where suboxone is less effective than that little something methadone gives. It just keeps away the withdraw and helps cravings. You should research it. It's a pill you dissolve under your tongue. You can get a script for it at a pharmacy but only certain Dr.s can prescribe it.

Upvote 0

Luna1991

Jan 22, 2013
Sydney
✟7,759.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I agree with rturner76. But definitely have your friend discuss it at length with a doctor first. I'd be surprised if they recommended going on the done program given what he's using. Only my opinion, but I feel methadone should only be a temporary fix for those coming off heroin, if it is absolutely necessary. But I'm not the biggest fan of that kind of 'controlled using/staying off your drug of choice' to begin with. But that's just me, I know everyone's journey and needs are different.

Upvote 0

ThunderTongue

Jan 20, 2013
✟15,506.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Do NOT use methadone! It is often a life sentence since it it soooo hard to taper down from, and the withdrawals are often more brutal than opiate withdrawal.

If suboxone, I recommend only using it for 2 to 3 weeks at most for the reasons stated above.

The best method, and it is instant, is to realize our Father doesn't want us sick (and that is exactly what addiction is) and is not only able, but willing to take the addiction away instantly with no withdrawal. That is what he did with me after being a heavy addict for 3 years.

I finally got sick enough of it to cry out to him, and he did it within the hour. My withdrawal symptoms left (anyone who knows about them realizes this miracle) and he set me free.

For this situation here, he may have to take a different path, I understand. Just felt obligated to tell what happened to me

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do NOT use methadone! It is often a life sentence since it it soooo hard to taper down from, and the withdrawals are often more brutal than opiate withdrawal.

If suboxone, I recommend only using it for 2 to 3 weeks at most for the reasons stated above.

The best method, and it is instant, is to realize our Father doesn't want us sick (and that is exactly what addiction is) and is not only able, but willing to take the addiction away instantly with no withdrawal. That is what he did with me after being a heavy addict for 3 years.

I finally got sick enough of it to cry out to him, and he did it within the hour. My withdrawal symptoms left (anyone who knows about them realizes this miracle) and he set me free.

For this situation here, he may have to take a different path, I understand. Just felt obligated to tell what happened to me

This blessed me for reasons I cannot say. I appreciate your sharing your experience more that you will ever know. Bless you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nulletic

Feb 5, 2013
✟7,612.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Buprenorphine aka Suboxone\Subutex would be much more appropriate than MMT, as somebody else mentioned. It is what is referred to as a partial opioid agonist\antagonist (whereas hydrocodone, heroin, methadone are all full opioid agonists). An example of an opioid antagonist would be naloxone (present in Suboxone only to deter abuse via injection) which completely reverses the effects of full agonists and acts as an antidote in cases of overdose.

Simply put there are several types and sub-types of opioid receptors in your brain (mu, kappa, delta, nociceptin, etc.) and they each modulate or regulate certain psychological and physical characteristics or carry out certain functions relating to such things as euphoria, pain or analgesia, sleep, appetite, anxiety, etc.

Buprenorphine acts as an agonist at some of these receptor sub-types and an antagonist at others, or may act as both at the same time on certain sub-types. Nor-buprenorphine, which is a buprenorphine primary metabolite also has its own unique agonist\antagonist profile which differs from bupe itself. The result of being a mixed agonist\antagonist is that the 'positive' effects are limited compared to full agonists, so the euphoria and analgesic effects are less (as well as respiratory depression, which is important) and no 'high' can really be achieved in an opioid tolerant individual. There is also a 'ceiling effect', which means that doses over a certain threshold (32 mg I believe) wont be any 'stronger'. For people who have substantial opioid tolerance, usually from using oxycodone, morphine, heroin, fentanyl or any of more powerful opioid agonists at higher doses, this ceiling effect could mean that their tolerance is just too high for buprenorphine to help with their withdrawal, and so they require something like MMT or methadone-assisted detox.

Vicodin however, which is hydrocodone (with Tylenol), while certainly a full agonist and certainly psychologically\physically addictive is not as potent a mu-agonist as oxycodone or heroin. Therefore, unless they were on a very high dose (well over 50 mg a day?) treatment with Suboxone or Subutex would be more appropriate. Otherwise, suggest a detox\rehab facility. At a detox he may be tapered with methadone (low doses), buprenorphine or even just comfort meds given to help get through the initial withdrawal period (Librium or another benzodiazepine, Immodium AD, Clonidine, etc.).

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
North Carolina
Visit site
✟7,830.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Im on Suboxone maintenance and I NEVER have cravings. I never went through withdrawals with it, but as soon as I stop taking it, they will slowly set in and I fear that. Ive gone through withdrawals many times before and I wanted to just die. The first time, I had hands laid on me, and the drug was prayed out of me. I had no withdrawals whatsoever, but when I went back to it and quite again, the withdrawals were a million times worse.

This medication is great, in the fact that, unlike methadone, you can take it home and it works as an anti-depressant too. BUT I still feel dirty and shameful because I am taking a drug. Aside from taking bupe, I am a very healthy person. I am no longer doing the evil things to get my fix, I can afford my prescription, and I take it when Im supposed to (twice a day). If your friend is strong enough, I would recommend not being on anything at all. I, on the other hand, have had to many relapses to get off bupe just yet. It's kinda like my crutch, I know that as long as I am on it, I won't pick up, and so does my family.

Upvote 0

Calvinator

It's midnight and I'm sound asleep
Nov 13, 2012
✟788.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mitragyna speciosa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Get seeds and grow this plant ^^ for your own use before it is banned in the USA under the guise of "consumer protection" (ie: competing with Methadone and other patented products for $$).

It is less addictive than coffee, and useful for treating opioid dependance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ladyjazz

Apr 16, 2014
Michigan USA
✟8,033.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Im sober over two weeks, ( praise God!), and i am so determined! But guyz, i feel so condemned! I knew drugs were wrong, but they made me feel better. I sinned and knew it was sin! Ive repented and trust God forgives but not only did i sin w drugs, but all the sin thats comes w it! Plus i watched a video about a guy that died and went to hell and he was a pastor! Yes, prob not the most positive thing to watch, but it scared me even straighter! Lol

Lord have mercy on me! Yikes!

Upvote 0