Meteorite has expert stumped.

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,740.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From the Bassikounou sample is a microscopic image of a spherule possibly a 4.5 billion year old chondrule.

chondrule.jpg

Only Pb-Pb dating will verify this.
While Randy Koretev was very non committal on meteorite fluorescence he has dug his heels in on this one.
He disputes the image of being of a 4.5 billion old chondrule by supplying this link.
I've responded by stating his link is about 'meteorwrongs', the image is of a meteorite and even if 'round things' do exist in meteorites it doesn't rule out chondrules as the sample is classified as a H5 chondrite originating from one of three possible asteroid candidates 6 Hebe, 3 Juno or 7 Iris.

Currently we have reached an impasse.....

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,142.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
While Randy Koretev was very non committal on meteorite fluorescence he has dug his heels in on this one.
He disputes the image of being of a 4.5 billion old chondrule by supplying this link.
I've responded by stating his link is about 'meteorwrongs', the image is of a meteorite and even if 'round things' do exist in meteorites it doesn't rule out chondrules as the sample is classified as a H5 chondrite originating from one of three possible asteroid candidates 6 Hebe, 3 Juno or 7 Iris.

As a matter of interest, how was your sample authenticated?
(Ie: Will he ultimately accept that authentication authority?)

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,740.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a matter of interest, how was your sample authenticated?
(Ie: Will he ultimately accept that authentication authority?)
The company I purchased the meteorite from is Aerolite Meteorites Inc. which issues certificates of authenticity and whose cliental are not only private buyers but also museums and universities.
Never buy meteorites from ebay...........

Randy Korotev has never questioned the authenticity of the sample only the image of a spherule that might be a chondrule.
He has a website where 99%+ of images of meteorites sent to him turn out to being meteorwrongs.

https://sites.wustl.edu/meteoritesite/items/what_to_do/

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,740.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The impasse has been resolved.
Randy Korotev said:
Sorry, I'm not paying attention. Round things in a chondrite are probably chondrules.
So it is highly probable my image is of a 4.5 billion year old object.
Cool!

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,142.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
A recent study into carbonaceous chondrites (Murchison and Allende) showed up in the media a day or so ago.
They analysed using mass spectrometry (mainly because they were more interested in the organic content):
Team uses mass spectrometry to study composition of meteorites
Sulphur compounds seem to feature quite a bit(?)

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,142.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps sending the (Mars) imaging folk a more general query about where we can go to learn up more on how they expect to interpret any specific 'glows' they might find?
I realise its a bit off topic from specifically meteorite analysis, but these Mars investigation dudes recently went to the Greenland ice sheets to test their latest invention, 'WATSON', which works via UV Flourescence to detect organics:
We used a deep-ultraviolet fluorescence mapping spectrometer, coupled to a drill system, to scan from the surface to 105 m depth into the Greenland ice sheet. The scan included firn and glacial ice and demonstrated that the instrument is able to determine small (mm) and large (cm) scale regions of organic matter concentration and discriminate spectral types of organic matter at high resolution.
Their published paper is here. Some of their analysis is around @sjastro's λ = 365nm wavelength.

At the very least, I guess the paper represents state of the art analysis of UV flourescence (organics), I suppose?:
The Spectral Types we identified had spectra that are similar to microbes, lignin-phenols, fused- ring aromatic molecules, including PAHs, and environmentally complex fulvic acids of microbial and multicellular origin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,740.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I realise its a bit off topic from specifically meteorite analysis, but these Mars investigation dudes recently went to the Greenland ice sheets to test their latest invention, 'WATSON', which works via UV Flourescence to detect organics:
Their published paper is here. Some of their analysis is around @sjastro's λ = 365nm wavelength.

At the very least, I guess the paper represents state of the art analysis of UV flourescence (organics), I suppose?:
Unsaturated organic molecules which contain double or triple bonds are composed of sigma and pi bonds.
Pi bonded electrons sit in energy levels where the difference between the ground and excited state is compatible to the energy range of photon in the UV-Vis range.

0-summary-of-uv-vis-spectroscopy-uv-light-excites-electron-from-lumo-to-homo-.gif

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Once in space basically nothing.
The composition of the meteorite depends on the type of asteroid being impacted and the region of the asteroid where the fragments originate.

Chart%2Bshowing%2Btypes%2Bof%2Basteroids%2Band%2Bmeteorites.jpg

A fragment from a type S asteroid for example, if from the core which reaches the Earth is an iron meteorite; from the mantle-core boundary a Pallasite or stony-iron meteorite; and from the crust a stony meteorite.
Nice graphic. thanks!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,740.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
  • Informative
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0