Waiting for the Verdict

Mar 20, 2005
Amsterdam, New York
✟17,468.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I have severe OCD and a family history of depression that is so pronounced that my dad's family was a case study for the National Institute for Mental Health. If I were to marry, especially to someone else who is mentally ill, should I not have children? Would it be ethical for me to? Should I go further, and make sure I'm incapable of having children (a.k.a. sterilization)?

E

Everlasting33

I have severe OCD and a family history of depression that is so pronounced that my dad's family was a case study for the National Institute for Mental Health. If I were to marry, especially to someone else who is mentally ill, should I not have children? Would it be ethical for me to? Should I go further, and make sure I'm incapable of having children (a.k.a. sterilization)?

First off, my heart goes out to you and your family. Mental illness is certainly a painful and frustrating aspect and I can empathsize with family history of depression.

You know, it is certainly wise and caring of you to think of your future children. Hereditary is certainly a key factor in mental illness but it is not the only one. Environment is probably the next biggest factor involving mental illness. Although, each child is different and a child with more of an introvert, sensitive and shy personality type may be more vulnerable to mental illness.

It is a hard question and one that I am not fit to fully answer. But I do know that each human being is different and that if you raise your child in a loving, stable, and safe/trustworthy enviornment, he or she is less likely to develop mental illness. However, if your own mental illness makes you incapable of living a healthy life, then it would be wise not to have children.

I theorize that if children with an hereditary predisposition were raised in loving and happy enviornments, the chances of mental illness probably decreases tremendously.

Good luck to you!:wave:

Upvote 0

EbonNelumbo

Hope is a waking dream-Aristotle
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
Oregon City, Oregon
Visit site
✟33,816.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
There's a history of many things in my family...cancer, depression, addiction, etc.

My husband's family has addictive personalities and health problems as well, potentially more dangerous than the addiciton or depression I may cause through genes.

I have faith that no matter what my baby is born with, it's going to be all right in the end. If the kid has bipolar, sad, but we'll support him/her in every conceivable way. If the kid is born with physical problems, God willing, we're going to hold their hand and teach them to be strong.

I think that if you are capable to look past it, if you are willing to try everything knowing the risks, then if it occurs, it should have been. Having the factors for things often causes them, but it doesn't always. I'd honestly be pressed to find an entire family who doesn't have some history of mental health issues...of any kind. You can probably find every one in the DSM in my family!

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟312,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That looks like a slippery slope to be. Where do we draw the line not to pass on our genes? Mental defect? Physical defect? How much? How many? Somehow I can see someone (not the OP) deciding not to have kids because they don't look like Cindy Lopper.

Personally, if you can handle your genetic problems and function in life, they your kid has a good chance to do the same.

Upvote 0

MarcusHill

Educator and learner
May 1, 2007
Manchester
✟16,512.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
One of the dangers of mental illness is that it often goes undiagnosed for too long and becomes more severe before treatment begins. Because of your history, if you have kids you'll be alert to any symptoms and you'll be able to get treatment for them before things get out of hand. Your own history should also mean you'll be able to offer great support and empathy and won't attach an unfair stigma to mental illness if it should occur.

Ethically, I think this should probably be a factor in deciding whether/when to have kids. There are, of course, many more important factors to consider, and I won't patronise you by listing any.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Wether you should or not must always remain a question that you yourself answer on a voluntary basis. IOW, it should never be answered for you,or anyone else, by society.

IMO, the fact that you are mentally well enough to even be considering the implications causes me to believe that you would be more than capable of raising any kids you may have in such a way that they do not become a problem to society.

Upvote 0

.Sabre.

Aliens ate my custom title.
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2006
Chasing the sun's fading light
✟40,588.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Wether you should or not must always remain a question that you yourself answer on a voluntary basis. IOW, it should never be answered for you,or anyone else, by society.

IMO, the fact that you are mentally well enough to even be considering the implications causes me to believe that you would be more than capable of raising any kids you may have in such a way that they do not become a problem to society.
Exactly....someone pinch me, I'm agreeing with a conservative!

In almost any family, there are genes that cause mental or physical illness.

Upvote 0

WatersMoon110

To See with Eyes Unclouded by Hate
May 30, 2007
Ohio
✟21,255.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would say that there is nothing unethical about society allowing those who might have genetic illnesses to have biological children. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it is unethical to keep others from having children with each other (assuming that both biological parents want children and such).

I am not the most mentally healthy individual ever, but I plan on having children someday. I don't see this as an unethical choice (though, I must admit, my issues come from past situations far more than genetics).

Upvote 0

Illuminatus

Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I think that's a question you should be posing to your doctor, not to an unqualified conglomerate of people on a message board.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jennidawn

Jul 13, 2007
✟7,704.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm glad to know that someone else thinks about this. I have often wondered myself if I should choose not to have biological children because of illnesses that run in my family and my husbands. One thing I often consider when thinking about this is that there is constantly new discoveries in treatments and help for people.The decision has to be yours. I believe you to be well informed of the risks and rewards. As to the actual question of ethics, I certainly don't think it is my place to say one way or another.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Exactly....someone pinch me, I'm agreeing with a conservative!

In almost any family, there are genes that cause mental or physical illness.

Perhaps, perhaps not.
Check out maureen salamans' books or adell davis' or the diamonds'
before you think recent discoveries (so-called 'medicine')
are right. A lot if not most of 'professionalism' is extremely wrong.
Thus:

"I think that's a question you should be posing to your doctor, not to an unqualified conglomerate of people on a message board. "
p.s.[If you trust your doctor.]
p.p.s 'unqualified' ? Test everything, yes, but people who have gone through it and recovered or not may be a lot more helpful than others.

Upvote 0

Illuminatus

Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
p.s.[If you trust your doctor.]

If you don't trust your doctor, you need a new doctor.

p.p.s 'unqualified' ? Test everything, yes, but people who have gone through it and recovered or not may be a lot more helpful than others.

Yes. However, on something as potentially life-changing as sterilization, I'd stick with the professionals.

Upvote 0