Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was in Ephesians 5 (again, lol) and I saw something I never saw before. Women are not instructed to love their Husbands! Nowhere in the Bible does it tell wives to love their husbands. It tell husbands, love your wives as Christ loved the church.

We're told in other places to walk in love towards all. But wives are not told to love their husbands, instead they are instructed to submit themselves unto their husband. That's interesting! Why do you suppose that is?

Does a man not need love from his wife? He needs something. What is it? It's probably respect, I think.

I'm not taking the stance here, of, she will submit to me...this isn't about being controlling. I just find it highly interesting that it doesn't tell her to love him, just submit to him. I take that to mean, back him up, take his side, speak highly of him, and respect him. Yeah, like that. So there's probably a deeper significance to the exact wording of this passage. Sounds important, lol.

Most women aren't like that to their husbands though, they got this battle of the sexes thing going and it's supposed to be funny I think, but it kinda isn't. It destroys foundational principles of the marriage covenant.

How many Sisters do we have here, which are with a husband that they would like to divorce, but will not because of God and that isn't what He wants? I would suppose that those (if any) are the Proverbs 31 Wives.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was in Ephesians 5 (again, lol) and I saw something I never saw before. Women are not instructed to love their Husbands! Nowhere in the Bible does it tell wives to love their husbands. It tell husbands, love your wives as Christ loved the church.

We're told in other places to walk in love towards all. But wives are not told to love their husbands, instead they are instructed to submit themselves unto their husband. That's interesting! Why do you suppose that is?

Does a man not need love from his wife? He needs something. What is it? It's probably respect, I think.

I'm not taking the stance here, of, she will submit to me...this isn't about being controlling. I just find it highly interesting that it doesn't tell her to love him, just submit to him. I take that to mean, back him up, take his side, speak highly of him, and respect him. Yeah, like that. So there's probably a deeper significance to the exact wording of this passage. Sounds important, lol.

Most women aren't like that to their husbands though, they got this battle of the sexes thing going and it's supposed to be funny I think, but it kinda isn't. It destroys foundational principles of the marriage covenant.

How many Sisters do we have here, which are with a husband that they would like to divorce, but will not because of God and that isn't what He wants? I would suppose that those (if any) are the Proverbs 31 Wives.
"...teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands..." (Titus 2.4).

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

First issue:

Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek,
there is neither slave nor free,
there is no male and female,
for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

After digesting that, I suggest all these verses denying gender differences:

Matthew 7:12
In everything, then,
do to others as you would have them do to you.
For this is the essence of the Law and the prophets.

James 2:8
If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture,
“You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well.

John 15:12
“This is my commandment, that you love one another
as I have loved you.

Luke 6:31
Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Romans 13:10
Love does no wrong to its neighbor (or opposite gender). Therefore love is the fulfillment of the Law.

Discard all gender differences.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are exactly right.

Husbands and wives are given different instructions.
Parents and Children are given different instructions.
Slaves and owners (employees and employers) are given different instructions.

And perhaps even more important; Jews and Gentiles are given different instructions.

Reactions: Divide
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Instruction in applying the general "love one another" command to their husbands.

Husbands have a separate command.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The command to love your neighbor would include loving every single human being on the planet. We learn the "Parable of the Good Samaritan" that one's neighbor is even the person who is poor or left for dead on the side of the road. The command to love your neighbor would most definitely extend to a wife loving her own husband. For we are told to love and do good towards even our enemies.

Note: While there are specific instructions that are different for a man of God vs. a woman of God, that does not mean that love is exempt because of a gender difference. God desires both men and woman to love all people.

As pointed out by another poster here, Titus 2:4 is clear that wives are also to love their husbands. Granted, the Bible did not need to say that because that fact is obvious from reading other verses. But the Bible does state such a thing so a Christian wife is even more without an excuse if she chooses someday to not love her husband.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The command to love your neighbor would include loving every single human being on the planet.
Yes, but that was not the command I was referring to.

"Love one another as I have loved you."

That is addressed only to us believers.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but that was not the command I was referring to.

"Love one another as I have loved you."

That is addressed only to us believers.

I was not replying on that particular verse you mentioned alone. I was replying to the OP and various posts within the thread.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nowhere in the Bible does it tell wives to love their husbands.
Paul says he wants the older Christian women to "admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children" (in Titus 2:3-5).

So, Paul does not directly tell younger wives to love their husbands, but he does tell Titus to tell older women to be good role models who teach the younger wives to love their husbands. I see how God does not want Paul to just tell younger wives to love their husbands, but God wants older more mature ladies of Jesus to be personal examples for the younger women . . . not only telling and commanding, but being examples > like to how Peter tells elders to shepherd the flock >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

From this, by the way, we can see how older women and male leaders are being told the same thing > to lead by example. This is one example of how the Bible, really, does not tell women totally different things, than we have for men.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In Titus 2:3-5 Paul is clear how he wants the older women to take care of teaching the younger women, including with their example. A good teacher demonstrates. And I guess Paul might not be very good for demonstrating how a woman needs to love her husband :)

And I offer more detail about what the older women need to teach the younger ones >

"to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discrete, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands".

So, yes the older women teach the younger ones to love their husbands. And they are told to be subject to their husbands. So, God's word means for subjection to be in love . . . the way His love has this be, including >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

So, the man is expected not to lord himself over his wife. And I can see how he would encourage her to give him feedback and talk with him about however she finds he is or could be wrong. She can be a very strong helpmate, like this, helping him get real correction so he can mature in Jesus and how God has us loving any and all people. If he is Christian and maturing, he will use her subjection to encourage her to help him become more real in Jesus and the character of Jesus, so they can together please God by being like Jesus with each other.

So, we need to read God's word according to His love meaning and how His grace will have us succeeding :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wanting respect can be an ego problem thing. And it depends on what you mean by respect. From your other writing, here, I can see you mean respect in a good way.

We in Jesus all need one another. And a husband and wife in Jesus are in a very close relationship so they can be good for each other. They do need one another. I would say they need every good thing which each can give to the other . . . how God makes them able . . . not just in a human way.

This all depends on submitting to God so this works well, the way the grace of His love has us succeeding.

You might consider what Paul says about husband and wife relating, in 1 Corinthians 7. One thing I get is that each is subject to the other, and they each have much to offer to the other. There is mutual submission > Ephesians 5:21.

But the lady is subject to her man.

But though he is her "head", I see this can mean like how a head on a human body is subject to the body, in certain ways, including how the body meets life-essential needs of the head, while the head also is essential to the life of the body. But, on the whole, the body is under the head, and subject to the head; but the head, too, is in its ways subject to and very depending on the body. And this is the best way to have love > to totally trust and depend on one another, being subject to however each is good for the other.

Subjection is about how to get how someone else is good for you. This is God's intention and meaning.

Subjection assures that you have someone's attention. And if a lady really loves and appreciates her man . . . she wants his attention. She is subject for the sake of his loving attention and so she can encourage him to do the good and loving things he can for others, also, since she loves any and all people.

Maybe a little bit like this, is how ladies in my church come to me for help; they are subject to me, in order for me to do them the best good I can. At times, ones who want to help know I am one who is serving and doing a lot of things; so they understand I should know how they can help and where to find resources in the building. So . . . because I have invested for years in learning how to serve and live by example, now I have become a go-to person for ones who want to submit themselves in order to help. And the ladies know how I will treat them :) They are being subject to me so I can help them to do the loving they so treasure doing.

And like this we are submissive to Jesus so He can make us able to do the loving which He wants.

So, Biblical subjection is about loving.

We submit to Jesus, really for our own good. And we are wise to not try to just use God for things we want, because He will bring us to so better. Likewise, in a Christian relationship, in God's love with His creativity . . . if we are submitting to one another the way He desires, He keeps bringing us to more and better than we know to seek. And He will make a husband able to do his wife better good than what she might get by keeping her own control of things.

So, you can test if this is how your relationship is working, before you marry someone.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are exactly right.

Husbands and wives are given different instructions.
Parents and Children are given different instructions.
Slaves and owners (employees and employers) are given different instructions.

And perhaps even more important; Jews and Gentiles are given different instructions.

Important update:

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Instruction in applying the general "love one another" command to their husbands.

Husbands have a separate command.

In all things
Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you.

• Agree
Reactions: Divide
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul says he wants the older Christian women to "admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children" (in Titus 2:3-5).

So, Paul does not directly tell younger wives to love their husbands, but he does tell Titus to tell older women to be good role models who teach the younger wives to love their husbands. I see how God does not want Paul to just tell younger wives to love their husbands, but God wants older more mature ladies of Jesus to be personal examples for the younger women . . . not only telling and commanding, but being examples > like to how Peter tells elders to shepherd the flock >

From this, by the way, we can see how older women and male leaders are being told the same thing > to lead by example. This is one example of how the Bible, really, does not tell women totally different things, than we have for men.

What Does the Bible Say About how to treat friends, enemies, women, men, gays, or any kind of others?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Important update:

Important Update:

That's not talking about instructions on how to live; it is talking about equality in salvation.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Important Update:

That's not talking about instructions on how to live; it is talking about equality in salvation.

Ok. Explain any allowed gender bias rules and discrimination guidelines here:

Matthew 7:12
In everything, then,
do to others as you would have them do to you.
For this is the essence of the Law and the prophets.

Matthew 22
37 Jesus declared, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart
and with all your soul and with all your mind.’
38 This is the first and greatest commandment.
39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.
40 All the Law and the Prophets depend on these two commandments.”

Luke 6:31
And as you would that men should do to you, do you also to them likewise.

James 2:8
If you really keep the royal law stated in Scripture,
"Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing well.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wanting respect can be an ego problem thing. And it depends on what you mean by respect. From your other writing, here, I can see you mean respect in a good way.

Exactly right. Respect has little to do with fear, so it always is a good thing. It's not, you better respect me and do what I say....but something much different. Leans more towards honoring and loving.

And the ladies know how I will treat them :)

Oh ok, so you are a Brother. That clears that up. lol! You had said something that made me think I was talking to a Sister...and Sisters don't talk like that.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh ok, so you are a Brother. That clears that up. lol! You had said something that made me think I was talking to a Sister...and Sisters don't talk like that.
There are a lot of good things in my Christian sisters which need to be in me.

At times, a writing is directed to women or wives, but what they are told to do can be like to what is expected of men. The most important things, anyway, we guys need also, plus our ladies can help us to get it . . . 1 Peter 3:1-4 to me means ladies are able by means of God to help any wrong man.

Upvote 0