Jan 1, 2002
The "Left Coast" of the USA
Visit site
✟22,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What are some of the verses you've memorized that you'd like to share? Perhaps a verse that has special meaning in your life. Tips and hints for memorizing would be helpful, too.

One of my favorite verses is Proverbs 3:5,6:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.

God will lead and guide us when we depend upon Him and turn our lives over to Him.

One of the ways I've learned to memorize Scripture better is to write them down in a notebook or tablet. It helped to imprint the words in my mind.

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
i don't make a habit of memorizing the scriptures, that's why it's always so hard to find them when i need them; sort of having the ideas and words in my head but not the precise terms from the bible.

fav verse, um, i don't exactly have any fav verses... awww...... there's one on how if u were saved, your whole family'll be saved. (coz my dad isn't a Christian)

Upvote 0

edjones

Jan 15, 2002
✟1,549.00
[SHADOW=silver]Psalm 119:11
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Psalm 119:16
I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.

Psalm 119:105
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Psalm 119:130
The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.
[/SHADOW]

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
There are so many scriptures I have claimed and have lived by for so many years now. The main one is to "seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness" and He will provide for all we need in life. On top of this, if we delight ourselves in the Lord, then He will give us the desires of our heart. I have found both of these to be true in my life, and also my wife would say the same.

Next is I put a lot of confidence in the verse that says God will cause all things to work out for the best (for them that love God and are called according to His purpose) When we follow after God's plan and purpose for us, he can redeem anything and everything and cause good to come out of it. Even things in our past, God can redeem, no matter how horrible they were. Because He works in the present. Today is the day and now is the moment of salvation.

Of course there are lots more, but these are the main ones I live by day in and day out. Thanks, JohnR7

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
pslams..."Make a joyful noise unto the lord all ye lambs. Serve the Lord with gladness, come into his presence with singing. Know he be the Lord and he is God. It is him that has made us and not we ourselves. We his people and the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving and enter his courts with praise. Give thanks to him for his name's sake. His love endures forever and his faithfulness endures through all generations" as I remember it from kindegarden...;) I have alot of others memorized..but this one is one of my fav. Repeition is good for me...that and writing it.

Upvote 0

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran
Yes, there are many. The first five listed are ones I started memorizing as an adult, which I would consider essential for the Christian foundation. The others are just a few that I have memorized over the years. Very profetiable for the spiritual life.

John 3:16
2 Cor. 5:21
2Cor. 5:17
Galatians 2:20
Ephesians 2:4-5, 8-10

Upvote 0

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran
I had posted this in another forum about memorizing the books of the Bible. But the principle applies to memorizing Bible verses.

1. Learn them in groups of 3-5 words. Repeat them three times, then add 3-5 more words, then do that three times a day. Repeat the verse from the beginning, then do that three times a day.

Example:

2 Corinthians 5:17
--------
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if anyone
--------
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if anyone is in Christ
--------
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation
--------
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old things have passed away
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old things have passed away
--------
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old things have passed away; behold, new things have come
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old things have passed away; behold, new things have come
--------
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old things have passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corinthians 5:17
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old things have passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corinthians 5:17

ALWAYS include the Bible reference when memorizing. That way you will always remember where it is located in the Bible.

2. Learn another Bible verse after three days, reviewing the earlier learned verse (three times each day).

3. Add two more verses the following week, and review the ones previously memorized.

4. After 36 days (~6 weeks) you can review the original verses occasionally (every month). You will never forget them.

Note: This is a method developed by The Navigators organization, and has proven itself very helpful over the past 50+ years.

Upvote 0

AndiLynn

Feb 4, 2002
Illinois
✟8,208.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Romans 8:28 - And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to His purpose.

No matter what happens, God is working...and everything is going to work out for His will, His purpose...I just need to trust in Him to bring me to that place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

StogusMaximus

Feb 5, 2002
Visit site
✟4,841.00
Faith
Protestant
The versus I keep in my sig tag are inspiring to me and they also help me to memorize.

My two favorite pieces of scripture are:

"One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: 'Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!' But the other criminal rebuked him. 'Don't you fear God,' he said, 'since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.' Then he said, 'Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.' Jesus answered him, 'I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise. ' Luke 23:39-43

The Beatitudes

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted."
"Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth."
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,for they will be filled."
"Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy."
"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God."
"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God."
"Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:3-12

Upvote 0

StogusMaximus

Feb 5, 2002
Visit site
✟4,841.00
Faith
Protestant
This is also very moving to me.....

"When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. 'Lord,' he said, 'my servant lies at home paralyzed and in terrible suffering.' Jesus said to him, 'I will go and heal him. ' The centurion replied, 'Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, 'Go,' and he goes; and that one, 'Come,' and he comes. I say to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it.' When Jesus heard this, he was astonished and said to those following him, 'I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.' Then Jesus said to the centurion, 'Go! It will be done just as you believed it would.' And his servant was healed at that very hour. Matthew 8:5-13

Upvote 0

FOMWatts<><

Follower of the Way
Jan 6, 2002
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟15,970.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find it helpful to pray for understanding of scripture and by doing that I find it easier to memorize it because it holds significant meaning to me. Also, it is helpful to put the promises of God and the scripture we read to work so that we can prove God's perfect will for our lives.

My favorite verse of encouragement in hard times is: "As long as you live no man will be able to stand up against you; as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will never leave you nor forsake you."-Joshua 1:5

Man God's word is so awesome, and there is so much hope in the Lord. It is a wonderful blessing to wake up each morning and know that no matter what goes on in the world today and no matter how many nukes are fired in this hostile situation I AM GOING TO LIVE ETERNALLY WITH GOD!!! :D That is soooo awesome to me.

FOMWatts<><

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jephunneh

Aug 23, 2002
✟947.00
Originally posted by MizDoulos
What are some of the verses you've memorized that you'd like to share? Perhaps a verse that has special meaning in your life. Tips and hints for memorizing would be helpful, too.

One of my favorite verses is Proverbs 3:5,6:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.

God will lead and guide us when we depend upon Him and turn our lives over to Him.

One of the ways I've learned to memorize Scripture better is to write them down in a notebook or tablet. It helped to imprint the words in my mind.

That is good. Also I say them out loud as I read them so they are going in the ears and also the eyes.

Psalm 119:11
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Psalm 119:105
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.