Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On Holy Thursday, Melinda Gates publicly professed her Catholic faith and then personally attacked her Church over its position on contraception. I could not help but be reminded of Judas and his mysterious betrayal of Christ that night, sealed with a kiss.

In fairness to Mrs. Gates, her speech wasn’t expressly about the Church. It was about her foundation’s new “NoControversy” initiative to promote universal access to contraception. Her message was simple:

Contraception is not controversial. And to convince people of this, she argued that population control, abortion, and forced sterilization have nothing to do with the international promotion of universal access to contraception. If people associate them together, they are just “confused”.
This is a life and death crisis. Every year, 100,000 women who don’t want to be pregnant die in childbirth. About 600,000 women who don’t want to be pregnant give birth to a baby who dies in her first month of life.

I know everybody wants to save these mothers and babies.
But somewhere along the line, we got confused by our own conversations and we stopped trying to save these lives. We need to be clear about our agenda. It is not abortion. It is not population control.
But why attack the Catholic Church? Well, because the Church isn’t confused about contraception. In fact, even if the contraceptive movement really had successfully cut ties with the population control movement and no longer had anything to do with the promotion of abortion, which is very hard to believe thanks to the work of UN agencies like the UNFPA, the Church would still refuse to change its message: Contraception is bad for people.

Continued- http://www.turtlebayandbeyond.org/2012/abortion/melinda-gates-im-catholic-and-contraception-is-not-controversial/

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,743.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When Timothy Herrmann, author, does as much good in one year as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation does in ten seconds I will consider his essay.

Yes, Melinda Gates made a mistake. On Holy Thursday, she disagreed with the infinitesimally small group of people to whom universal access to contraception is controversial.

It would have been more accurate for her to say, "I recognize that universal access to contraception is controversial to an infinitesimal group of people, including you, but my husband and I support it, and our support of contraception constitutes a very small part of the work we do in saving the world."

You know, if people are out saving the world, I tolerate an ill-advised speech here and there.

It's the ones who aren't doing a darn thing to help the world I have trouble tolerating.

Upvote 0
C

christseeker45

On Holy Thursday, Melinda Gates publicly professed her Catholic faith and then personally attacked her Church over its position on contraception. I could not help but be reminded of Judas and his mysterious betrayal of Christ that night, sealed with a kiss.

In fairness to Mrs. Gates, her speech wasn’t expressly about the Church. It was about her foundation’s new “NoControversy” initiative to promote universal access to contraception. Her message was simple:

Contraception is not controversial. And to convince people of this, she argued that population control, abortion, and forced sterilization have nothing to do with the international promotion of universal access to contraception. If people associate them together, they are just “confused”.
oh brother

Upvote 0