Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m still waiting for the world to stop to mark the death of Dr. Michael J. Brescia. He was a founder of Calvary Hospital in New York and a trailblazer in palliative care. As best I can tell, Dr. Michael Brescia was St. Joseph living in New York. That’s something you’d think people should know about. A loving husband and father, he lived to help people, ultimately, have a happy death.

His story in medicine didn’t start out that way. He and a colleague invented a way to help patients in need of dialysis live better. He could have been a millionaire because of the innovation, but as he told the story, his Italian father dramatically told him no, and cautioned him about all the people who would die while they waited to make money off the lifesaving approach. Give it away! And so they did, publishing the protocols in the New England Journal of Medicine, saving countless lives.

I served on a pro-life commission with Brescia. And one thing he always made clear, in all our years of trying to combat efforts to bring doctor-assisted suicide to the Empire State, is that it is not necessary. Not if you have doctors like Brescia. From 1962 on, he served at what would become Calvary Hospital, a gold standard in palliative care — specifically for advanced adult cancer patients. It was fairly recently that I wondered if Brescia was ailing, because he was active until he couldn’t be, even in an emeritus position at Calvary.

Continued below.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What an amazing life ...

God is awesome to place such beautiful, loving persons in our world ...
and where they are needed most.
:rose:
This is the first I have read of him. Sounds like a very loving and empathetic man.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is the first I have read of him. Sounds like a very loving and empathetic man.

That is a very hard work this man was doing. It isn't easy to effectively minister to dying persons ...
unless one is called and equipped by God to do so.

I agree. The love of God must surely have dwelt richly in this man, for him to love others as he did ...

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0