Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Should Christians learn health and medicine to be more credible witnesses for Christ?

Luke was described as a physician in Colossians 4:14.

Jesus sent disciples to preach and heal the sick.
Luke 10:8 (WEB) ‘Into whatever city you enter, and they receive you, eat the things that are set before you. 9 Heal the sick who are there, and tell them, ‘God’s Kingdom has come near to you.’

Some were healed by prayer. Some were healed by surgery or pharmaceuticals. Some were healed by observing better dietary practices.

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think those Christians who are called to health and medicine should learn it and use their talents for Christ, and those who are called to other disciplines should use them for God's glory. We do not all have the same calling, and are not all graced with the same gifts and talents. Let us use whatever He has blessed us with to His glory.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think those Christians who are called to health and medicine should learn it and use their talents for Christ, and those who are called to other disciplines should use them for God's glory. We do not all have the same calling, and are not all graced with the same gifts and talents. Let us use whatever He has blessed us with to His glory.
Paul wrote about different functions of body parts like the eye, ear, hand and foot. Not all people have the same gifts and talents. A person could benefit from studying nutrition. I was able to lower my weight and lower my blood pressure after reading books and medical studies about nutrition.

A Chinese communist ruler got cancer he commissioned a very large study about the diets of many Chinese people. T. Collin Campbell assisted in the study and wrote a book about it, "The China Study." It turned about people living in rural areas eating mainly grain, vegetables and fruits were less likely to get cancer than urban dwellers who could afford more meat in their diet. Since then the World Health Organization has declared red meat a Group 2 carcinogen and nitrite processed meat a Group 1 carcinogen in the same category as tobacco. Ham, hot dogs, spam and lunchmeat are forms of processed meat.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Paul wrote about different functions of body parts like the eye, ear, hand and foot. Not all people have the same gifts and talents. A person could benefit from studying nutrition. I was able to lower my weight and lower my blood pressure after reading books and medical studies about nutrition.

A Chinese communist ruler got cancer he commissioned a very large study about the diets of many Chinese people. T. Collin Campbell assisted in the study and wrote a book about it, "The China Study." It turned about people living in rural areas eating mainly grain, vegetables and fruits were less likely to get cancer than urban dwellers who could afford more meat in their diet. Since then the World Health Organization has declared red meat a Group 2 carcinogen and nitrite processed meat a Group 1 carcinogen in the same category as tobacco. Ham, hot dogs, spam and lunchmeat are forms of processed meat.
There is, of course, a benefit in learning about health and nutrition, and in caring for our bodies which were created by God, we should be paying attention to that. But that is different than saying we should all take the time, effort and expense to become experts and professionals in those fields. And as a health care professional, I certainly see the dangers of misinformation being spread and causing harm to people.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is, of course, a benefit in learning about health and nutrition, and in caring for our bodies which were created by God, we should be paying attention to that. But that is different than saying we should all take the time, effort and expense to become experts and professionals in those fields. And as a health care professional, I certainly see the dangers of misinformation being spread and causing harm to people.
Ignorance and lack of diligent research is an ever present danger. Some doctors have severe arteriosclerosis as they researched pharmaceuticals and surgical procedures while ignoring advances made in nutritional studies.

There was a very expensive surgical procedure to remove calcification from coronary arteries. When a population was studied, researchers determined the mortality risk was the same for those getting the surgery and those getting no surgery.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I went to a Jesuit high school in the 1950s. At that time the training of a Jesuit missionary priest took 7 years. He had to know the language, the history, the religion and the culture of the people he was to serve. In addition he had to have a marketable skill like carpentry or blacksmithing. Some were doctors.

Last edited:
Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No. Not the world's way that is.

In truth? If and only if the Father has scheduled that for someone, IN truth. Not the world's way.
The world is trapped in unhealthy behavior. Obesity leads to billions in medical expenses, illness and shortened lifespan. Unhealthy diet is linked to cancer, heart disease and dementia. Opioids, cigarettes and alcohol abuse killed more than gun violence in America.

How is one to heal the sick, if one ignores volumes of medical study? If one prays for healing, but clings to unhealthy habits, does one pray in vain?

Upvote 0
May 29, 2019
Tempe, AZ
✟8,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
More power to you on this in whatever path you take. We've had a lot of discussions on this topic, and we do try to promote healthy behavior inasmuch as possible among our group and of course our flock. For this we do try to stay up to date, but it isn't easy. Part of our solution has simply been having people with healthcare experience among our ministers, including several nurses and a physical therapist. We are originally from (mainly) North America, but most have re-settled permanently in Europe with their families, and for practical reasons this helps to include health professionals since this kind of experience makes the visas much easier. We are expecting to have a physician join the next batch heading to Scandinavia next year, as well as an occupational therapist and nutritionist. We like to share each other's expertise in our meetings, and so this has been at least one way we have helped to educate each other on health issues, as well as to translate health information into the relevant European languages and reach our flock.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums