yoursXtruely

Apr 23, 2005
Orange County
✟1,161.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi. I love reading this forum, although I don't post much (it is a little intimidating and I don't feel that I know my stuff well enough to hold my own), but I came across this article written by a pastor in Idaho and I was curious to hear what others thought about it.

"Maybe it's time to get Christ out of Christmas season by Loren Yadon

It´s that time of year -- when the pressure mounts to exclude any reference to Jesus from the Christmas celebration. In fact, several retail chains have decided remove the word, "Christmas" from their advertising. The sales staff in some establishments has been instructed to wish the customers a "Happy Holiday" or some generic holiday greeting rather than the traditional "Merry Christmas."

What used to be an undercurrent of complaint has now become an overt attempt to ban anything related to Jesus at Christmas time. The manger scene has been removed from public areas. Traditional carols that brought joy to so many in past generations have suddenly become offensive to a minority in the population. What are the "politically correct police" afraid of? It´s not like we have been so Christian in our celebration anyway!

The idea of a boycott of "politically correct" retailers who do not want to celebrate Christmas might be a good idea. The Christmas shopping season amounts to about 25 percent of their annual retail sales. The only voice these corporations hear is the voice of their profit margins. More than 70 percent of Americans claim to be Christian, and their Christmas shopping fuels a major portion of retail sales. When Christians quit patronizing these corporations, then perhaps CEOs will re-examine their policies.

We were told recently that retail sales preceding Halloween ranked second only to Christmas. Does that make sense? In one poll, 56 percent of Americans don´t even believe in the existence of such creatures as demons or Satan, but a celebration of the dark side is gaining in popularity, while Jesus is being shoved out of the Christmas celebration. How can the Thanksgiving holiday possibly survive in this atmosphere? Soon, it will be too religious to set aside a national day to sit down with friends and family and give thanks to God as did our pilgrim fathers.

Frankly, the leaders of our culture are not actually removing Jesus out of Christmas, because he really never belonged there in the first place. Christians have been trying to crash someone else´s birthday party for more than 16 centuries! The Christian church started celebrating Christ´s birth on Dec. 25 in the 5th century because the Romans already had a feast celebrating the birth of one of their gods.

Instead of letting pagans have all the fun, Christian leaders decided to hold a celebration (mass) for Christ, which eventually became dubbed, Christmas. The pagans have been trying to throw the Christians out of their party for centuries. It´s about time we left.

Christ called his followers to peace not confrontation; to be leaders rather than reactionaries! If the pagans don´t want us crashing their party, why don´t we show good manners: apologize for the intrusion and leave? We can sit back and curse the darkness, or light the candle of a new idea. We are under no biblical obligation to celebrate Christ´s birth at all, let alone on Dec. 25!
If we chose to commemorate, why not change the time and nature of the celebration of Jesus´ birth? Many historians believe Jesus was born sometime in the late spring to early fall. Although we have no exact date for his birth, there are several hints that lead us to a reasonable time frame. Knowing that John the Baptist was born six months before Jesus, historians have tried to calculate the festival at which Zacharias, John´s father, was officiating when his birth was announced. They also can calculate the time when the population was ordered to return to their native towns to register for a new taxation roll. Shepherds were living in the fields with their flocks at the time. Taking these and other factors into consideration, Jesus may have been born sometime in the summer or fall.
So, wouldn´t it be dynamic if Christians became leaders in the culture and abandoned the secular celebration in December for one later in the year? Then Rudolph, Frosty and the boys would not have to worry about shoving Jesus around. If we celebrated in the summer, then school would be out and the educators would not feel the pressure of trying to accommodate the Christian holiday.

Secondly, instead of celebrating Jesus´ birth with the greed of our present celebration, why not make it more consistent with his life? At present, Jesus is the only one who doesn´t get a present at his birthday celebration. Whoever heard of a birthday party where the guests brought presents for each other and nothing for the honored one? Instead of spending money we cannot afford to buy things we don´t need, why not think of gift giving in harmony with Christ´s life?

We could hold community wide worship services where Christians come together to celebrate his birth. He would love to see the family of believers united, for that was one of his last prayer requests. In that atmosphere, we could feed the poor; give out clothing to the needy and collect offerings for missions. That type of a birthday party would really make Jesus laugh with delight.

Come on, Christian. Aren´t you tired of carping about what´s wrong with Christmas? Let´s do something revolutionary, such as celebrate in a manner consistent with Jesus. If this idea would catch on, the boardrooms in America would tremble at Christ´s feet.

Loren A. Yadon is pastor of New Life Fellowship of Boise.

Rae

Pro-Marriage. All marriage.
Aug 31, 2002
Somewhere out there...
Visit site
✟25,746.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Halloween is not a Satanic holiday. It's a holiday PTAs came up with so that kids would be more connected to their communities, taken from Christian festivals like All Souls Day and Christian practices. Frankly, if this author got this wrong (and he did), I don't think it shows he has much credibility.

Upvote 0

Multi-Elis

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2003
Paris
Visit site
✟17,911.00
Faith
Christian
There is something to that article.

In my community (I live in those "inner-city" subherbs of Paris that were having trouble) it would be a bit out of place to put up christmas decorations that talk all about Jesus, because most of the people here aren't christians... and would be offended, not evangelized to...

I did see the decorations the mayor put up around the town house. The first decoration I saw was a sled filled with preasents. And I thought "it's too bad that buying and the hope of getting presents has become all people can think of to associate with christmas."

I didn't grow up with christmas. Aside from the fact that I lived in Israel, the pagan origins of christmas disuaded my parents from celebrating it. But actually, it's funny how our Anglican chaplin here in Paris takes Pagan symboles, interprates them the way a pagan does, and then ties it on with Jesus: why do we use evergreens? because just as the evergreen is always green, so is Christ always there, and alive. So, I guess, just as the christian Jews celebrate Yeshua the Jewish way, Gentile Christians celebrate Jesus the Gentile way.

We could hold community wide worship services where Christians come together to celebrate his birth. He would love to see the family of believers united, for that was one of his last prayer requests
Isn't that what a charol service is?

Upvote 0

DaveS

Veteran
Jul 23, 2005
Swansea, Wales
✟9,486.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm... not bad idea but you mst remember that not all Christians know that Jesus was not actually born (or at least very unlikely to have been) on the 25th December. It could have a bad effect on the evangelising wing!

It may also drive the real meaning of Christmas into yet further obscurity :(.

Apart from that it is an idea worth thinking of although I do feel that it shouldn't really be us that are forced out of our own celebration, even though it isn't exactly 'ours' as such. It just seems to much like giving way to the horrible tide of political correctness.

Upvote 0

acius

Ordinary Average Guy
May 8, 2004
Portland Oregon
✟15,366.00
Faith
Agnostic
The writer of that article is wrong in so so so many ways. This is yet another example of the immaginary full frontal assault on christianity. There are a lot of people like the pastor here, who have this rediculous notion that their religion is being taken from them. And yes, she's very wrong about where halloween comes from. She's mostly right about where christmas comes from, and so what people are saying happy holidays instead. As she said in her article. 70% of the people in this country are christians. If you know math, you might also realise that 3 out of 10 people in this country are not. She doesn't seem to understand that if you're a jew or a muslim or an athiest, you might not want to be told merry christmas. Boycotting a store because they're nice enough to not want to offend 30% of their customers is at best a bad idea. How is happy holidays an offensive statement to a christian? No one is telling you to not honor christ. There are a lot of holidays that people clebrate this time of year. Happy Holidays just translates to "whatever you believe in, i wish you happiness". .... those *******s, i can't believe that..... it's horribly offensive! Boycott them for such a terrible insult.

No one is telling anyone to stop celebrating the birth of christ. No one is standing in the way of anyone elses right to their faith. They're just not trying to shove it down the throat of the jews and the athiests.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.