✟19,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First name (if you want): Linda
Children and/or pets: 0 children, but I've got two dogs (Gino & Toby), a deaf cat (Dr. Kramer Marty Barty Jones *Marty for short!), an Orange-winged Amazon parrot named Woody and lots of nameless fish.

Favorite Color: I can no longer choose just one. I'm a fan of red, green, black, and royal blue.
Favorite Food: Pizza, now and forever.
Hobbies: Reading, writing, drawing
Likes: Pretty much my aforementioned hobbies, really. But I'm also a fan of going to the movies, whether it's alone or with a group. The escapism is priceless. I also like animals.
Dislikes/pet peeves: The lack of turn signal use! It's such a useful little gadget, folks! The sound of acrylic nails tapping on things. Or people eating on the phone or smoking. Rudeness, unkindness, pretentiousness, phoniness. I can go on and on...

Ministry Involvement: Not really involved anywhere. Not proud of it.
Bible Translation: I'm partial to New King James, but frequent King James often.
Bible Verse(s):
Colossians 3:23 - "And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men."
Romans 8:28 - "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose."
Hymns or other Christian songs: Lately fell in love with "Even If" by MercyMe, and "Trust In You" by Lauren Daigle, both of which hit me hard given my current state of my mind and circumstances.

Interesting Factoid #1: I've never broken a bone.
Interesting Factoid #2: I like peanut butter on my pancakes.
Interesting Factoid #3: I can quote the entire movie of The Lion King
Interesting Factoid #4: I think rats are absolutely adorable.
Interesting Factoid #5: I have a touch of ochlophobia, which is a fear of crowds. Though to be more specific, I just hate being "enclosed" among lots of warm-blooded bodies where I can't have personal space. Makes me crazy jittery and anxious.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Forgiven4ever

Jul 13, 2017
Arkansas
✟7,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Let's get to know each other better.
I borrowed this from the Women's forum.

Feel free to ignore any item you do not feel like answering AND feel free to add any new ones.
There is a section at the bottom to tell whatever facts about yourself you want to.

You can grab this blank one to start from...

First Name (if you want):

Favorite Color:
Favorite Food:
Hobbies:

Ministry Involvement:
Bible Translation:
Bible Verse(s):
Hymns or other Christian songs:

Interesting Factoid #1:
Interesting Factoid #2:
Interesting Factoid #3:
Interesting Factoid #4:
Interesting Factoid #5:
First Name (if you want): Maggie or Mags works online
Children and/or pets: No children, no pets (anymore)

Favorite Color: Purple
Favorite Food: Pizza
Hobbies:web designing, crafts

Ministry Involvement: encouragement online
Bible Translation: NIV, KJV, NKJV
Bible Verse(s): Matthew 5:16, Psalm 139:13-16, Hebrews 13:5, 1 Corinthians 10:13, Romans 8:28

Hymns or other Christian songs: Old Rugged Cross, In the Garden, Amazing Grace, Trust and Obey

Interesting Factoid #1: never married virgin
Interesting Factoid #2: renting my aunt's trailer
Interesting Factoid #3: have a cat figurine collection
Interesting Factoid #4: attended Eastern Nazarene college for one year when I was going to be an elementary school teacher
Interesting Factoid #5: transferred to DeVry Institute of Technology in Columbus, Ohio - would love to move back there someday
Interesting Factoid #6: Type A personality :D
Interesting Factoid #7: My mother grew up Catholic going to parochial school until high school
Interesting Factoid #8: My father grew up Advent Christian
Interesting Factoid #9: I have attended many different denominational churches:
Advent Christian, Baptist, Mennonite, Nazarene, Salvation Army

Single thoughts: I have been content in my single state
But just recently the Lord has truly blessed me with meeting an amazing guy here on the board.

Feel free to ignore any item you do not feel like answering AND feel free to add any new ones.
There is a section at the bottom to tell whatever facts about yourself you want to.

Favorite Color:
Favorite Food:
Hobbies:

Ministry Involvement:
Bible Translation:
Bible Verse(s):

Interesting Factoid #1:
Interesting Factoid #2:
Interesting Factoid #3:
Interesting Factoid #4:
Interesting Factoid #5:

Favorite Color:
Favorite Food:
Hobbies:

Ministry Involvement:
Bible Translation:
Bible Verse(s):

Interesting Factoid #1:
Interesting Factoid #2:
Interesting Factoid #3:
Interesting Factoid #4:
Interesting Factoid #5:

Bible Verse(s): Matthew 5:16, Psalm 139:13-16, Hebrews 13:5, 1 Corinthians 10:13, Romans 8:28

Hymns or other Christian songs: Old Rugged Cross, In the Garden, Amazing Grace, Trust and Obey

Interesting Factoid #4: attended Eastern Nazarene college for one year when I was going to be an elementary school teacher
Interesting Factoid #5: transferred to DeVry Institute of Technology in Columbus, Ohio - would love to move back there someday
Interesting Factoid #7: My mother grew up Catholic going to parochial school until high school

But just recently the Lord has truly blessed me with meeting an amazing guy here on the board.

Upvote 0

Zoey <3

Considering Catholicism
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2017
Ohio
✟74,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
First Name (if you want): Zoey
Children and/or pets: No children, wanting to adopt. I have a (6.5 lb) dog named Ariela, a cat named Tiger, and a snake named Valentine (all of which are family pets)
Occupation: None presently. I spend most of my time volunteering at my church.

Favorite Color: Orange and Purple
Favorite Food: French Fries, but prefer to eat healthy whenever I can
Hobbies: Dancing, Reading, Writing, RC Trucks, Photography, Blogging, Ministry Outreach/Prayer, flute/basic fife player, hiking, walking, softball ( i suck, but i enjoy it)
Likes: Any kind of worship music- open to new suggestions, This question is very broad, so I will leave it at this :)
Dislikes/pet peeves: Bad grammar. It drives me crazy.

Ministry Involvement: I am currently a leader in my church's Special Needs Program. I volunteer with them on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I am also getting ready to sign up for our guest services team. Those are the people who meet and greet and guide our newest guests/members to where they need to be. Our church views the guests as the most important people to reach. They may determine the future of our church <3 Also: I am in the process of obtaining my ministry certification. I plan to become a minister at my local church. In the long run I hope to be a missionary.
Bible Translation: All are equally valid. I prefer GW and NIV :)
Hymns or other Christian songs: Tremble by Mosaic MSC, Fierce by Jesus Culture

Upvote 0

rubyinprogress

God's Daughter
Site Supporter
May 5, 2012
Texas
✟53,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
First Name (if you want): Zoey
Children and/or pets: No children, wanting to adopt. I have a (6.5 lb) dog named Ariela, a cat named Tiger, and a snake named Valentine (all of which are family pets)
Occupation: None presently. I spend most of my time volunteering at my church.

Favorite Color: Orange and Purple
Favorite Food: French Fries, but prefer to eat healthy whenever I can
Hobbies: Dancing, Reading, Writing, RC Trucks, Photography, Blogging, Ministry Outreach/Prayer, flute/basic fife player, hiking, walking, softball ( i suck, but i enjoy it)
Likes: Any kind of worship music- open to new suggestions, This question is very broad, so I will leave it at this :)
Dislikes/pet peeves: Bad grammar. It drives me crazy.

Ministry Involvement: I am currently a leader in my church's Special Needs Program. I volunteer with them on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I am also getting ready to sign up for our guest services team. Those are the people who meet and greet and guide our newest guests/members to where they need to be. Our church views the guests as the most important people to reach. They may determine the future of our church <3 Also: I am in the process of obtaining my ministry certification. I plan to become a minister at my local church. In the long run I hope to be a missionary.
Bible Translation: All are equally valid. I prefer GW and NIV :)
Hymns or other Christian songs: Tremble by Mosaic MSC, Fierce by Jesus Culture
Welcome

• Friendly
Reactions: Zoey <3
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wwjosh19

Feb 5, 2015
Mid atlantic
✟19,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
First Name (if you want): Josh
Children: 2 girls

Favorite Color: Green
Favorite Food: Seafood, BBQ (perfect combo)
Hobbies: Biking, hiking, fishing, cooking, gardening, history books, amateur radio, archery (new hobby)
Dislikes/pet peeves: neat, orderly, clean, meticulous, well organized (can be compulsively painful)

Ministry Involvement: (n the past – campus, workplace, restaurant workers)
Bible Translation:NKJV
Bible Verse(s): Proverbs 3:5-6, Josh 1:9, Habakkuk 3:17-19, Jeremiah 29:11-12; Psalm 144:1
Hymns or other Christian songs: Be thou my vision, Seek ye first

Prayer request: Please pray that my 2 girls will come to accept Christ and God protects them from harm.

Interesting Factoid #1: Sean Connery I adore, saw every James Bond movie (by Connery), favorite “From Russia with love”. Last good 007 movie was " You only live twice".
Interesting Factoid #2: vintage cars always stir my passion in auto mechanics - Germany VW beetles, old Jeeps, landover and 1970s American muscle car
Interesting Factoid #3: Simon & Garfunkel, Peter Paul & Mary. Love songs I can listen to all day – “Scarborough Fair”, “A time for us”, “Interlude”. So sweet and sad journey back to the magic years
Interesting Factoid #4: Love dogs but turtles (red ear slider) are my favorite pet, low maintenance. I have 2 in a 75G tank, along with lots of beautiful guppies.
Interesting Factoid #5: One trip I always wish but never do it, start from Yellowstone park to LA then drive all the way to Seattle along the Pacific coast, and spend time enjoying my favorite city San Francisco like Scott McKenzie’s song. I will play Simon & Garfunkel's songs from "graduate" as I pass the Golden Gate.

My testimony:

This is a longer than usual introduction of my spiritual journey. I want to write down, like a snap shot of my life as of this moment (1036 Feb 25 2018). It is my hope one day I can read back what I wrote and realize how far I have drifted and God has taken me back and what a wonderful plan he has for me all this time.

I attended a Christian grade school and later in a Catholic high school. So, I was familiar with the Bible stories early on. I enjoyed the Bible lessons when the teacher told us the Bible stories and the heroic OT characters. There were even “golden verses” that we had to memorize. But Jesus meant nothing to me then. 1975 (October) was the year I accepted Christ through an evangelical organization that originated from military fellowship. Their mantra is " born to reproduce". Their favorite saying is " hey, man, where is your Timothy? How many people you witness today?” Memorizing scriptures, “quiet time” and rigorous witnessing are this group's signature traits. I got my training and for the next few years of my college life I was quite productive in campus ministries and building up disciples. I was studying to be an engineer and my grades suffered. I was so indoctrinated by this militant campus group that mentally I feel the need to keep up with the expectation, the façade of being a zealous Christian, the ministry takes precedence over academics. There was a running joke the good one never date, as they are so dedicated to let real life needs get in the way of winning souls. Purity was a big thing. Nobody talked about it, but I know and learned later many of my peers (including myself) failed miserably in this virtue. Personally, I tried, even checking off on the calendar of related offenses to better monitor and hopefully manage the impure desires. But the beast is always there, same beast that devoured King David and many faithful men. One of the most frustrating aspect of my faith is the inability to overcome purity sins – in contrary to the powerful verses that admonish us that we are new creation and we can overcome everything through Christ. When I resisted with all the discipline I could muster and yet failed repeatedly, it really cut into your psyche. I would include gluttony (aka binge eating), pride/vanity (show off how spiritual you are among your peers) were other cracks on my armor that left me exposed and leads to where I am now. The continual failures to overcome sins were so devastating in my spiritual life. What is wrong with me? Why can’t I have the victory with God’s word. One question that troubled me is why it is so difficult for single Christian to find the Godly women (or Godly man). Maybe I am overly naïve that a mate will keep me from committing purity sins but being single (unlike Apostle Paul whom I heard had the special gift in this area) makes men very vulnerable.

For a long gap from 1981 (year I married) to 1999, my time was consumed with being a husband and father, 100% secular life. I was done with my faith. One evening in 1999 I was in the basement tired from a day of work and recalled those ministry days of the 1970s and wondering what happened to my college campus ministry team. That was the spiritual awakening as I like to call it. I started renewing old contacts and levering email and web site to organize and building the network. From 1999 on till 2012, I think I have given my best shot to walk with Christ, actively working on students, workplace Bible study group and started a local restaurant worker ministry (restaurant workers are by far one of the most neglect group of people, they work long and unusual hours). One irony is that as I walked closer to God in these years, I and my wife grew farther apart. During all these years from 1975 on, the physical ailments and the continual social awkwardness dated back when I was in junior high school never left me. The chronic eye ailment (orbital hemangioma) developed into a very annoying health issue with persistent head pain that cause serious sleeping problem. Due to the persistent head pain, I sleep about three hours a night and wake up groggy. I think I overcome all my physical and mental illness through the word of God (Proverbs 3:5-6. Joshua 1:9, Jeremiah 29:11, I Chronicles 4:10, Isaiah 58, James 1, book of Job to name a few). There were days when I felt so tired and sick, yet I kept repeating to myself my favorite verses (I wrote these in a 3x5 cards a collection of all my favorite). I cried out to God, literally screaming for relief. I even, foolishly as I look back now, practiced what someone shared with me what Campus Crusade founder Bill Bright did to start the day by asking the Holy Spirit to bless every one of his faculty starting with the arm/legs. For a few months, I unsuccessfully did that, after a headache filled and sleepless night, I woke up and go through the ritual of asking the Holy Spirit to bless me and use every part of me for that day. Apostle Paul’s inspirational verses about his thorn in the flesh (may be eye issue) always encourage me as well. A good soldier just marches forward.

One oddity of my faith I noticed early on, I am not sure why I did not feel much joy in sharing the gospel. It is more like a duty a soldier needs to perform to please his commander. I was terrified at the practice of witnessing to people I do not know. I went ahead with doing that anyway with tracts always handy in my backpack, just in case the “divine appointment” arrived. That puzzled me as I saw other Christian brothers and sisters are so genuinely joyful in their evangelical experience. Maybe I was never a true believer to start with. A colleague shared with me what Mother Teresa experienced – the “long dark night” - that she did not feel the presence of God yet she faithfully served. What an inspiration and that encouraged me greatly.

It is truly the grace of God, and his power only, that I was able to sustain a decent Christian life from 1999 to 2012. I also drew inspiration from other Christians who were able to overcome their adversities and become a faithful and effective servant. I first read Joni Eareckson Tada bio in 1976 (still has her original edition), I always remember the verses she used in her book prologue and by far my favorite in time of trouble. II Corinthians 4:8-10 " We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.10 We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body". When I was exhausted after a long evening of ministry to restaurant workers, Isaiah 40:31 revived me. And all those wonderful Christian hymns that still drove me into tears. I would let songs like "Be thou my vision", "Sing Hallelujah to the Lord", "Seek ye first " keep on playing and immersed in the incredible love I felt at the time how great God is. I was so moved by the songs that I started crying. The scriptures and worship songs were the drugs that maintain my spiritual life. It lost its potency as years went by with the same old illness and unfulfilled promises.

At this point, I wish I can continue to share my story in a positive light. I am struggling to understand, why I no longer walk in the faith. This is the same God I believe now as it was in 1975 when I accepted his son. But I no longer believe in him as a loving father. With 40 years of Christian life behind me, I suppose to be getting stronger, more battle hardened and more mature, not back sliding. The spiral down started in 2012, 4 years after the official divorce.

(I was surprised the years in between the 2007 separation and the final divorce in 2009 were my best years in serving. Being single again, it allowed me more time in church and ministry activities. And doors were opened for me to serve. These were arduous work meeting students in the evenings and restaurant fellowship that followed into wee hours of the morning, but these were memorable times).

I do not recall the defining moment or event, from 2012 on, when I fell off the wagon. It is a culmination of life long disappointments, intimate relationships that I craved but found none, brokenness from divorce, lack of joy and fulfillment from the spiritual realm and exacerbated by the realization that my two major health issues of sleeping disorder and eye ailment will remain with me for the rest of my life. What saddened most was the fact that the years when I felt I was most active in serving other people, that was when I drifted apart from my ex until the day she moved out with my 2 daughters. As the despair set in, other manageable problems amplified. I started to question more and more God’s character and the Biblical events that demands good answers.

One question that stands out is how I viewed the Biblical events and its characters such as Moses whom I frequently used as my role model. Looking at the OT, he was a war criminal and the conquest of the promised land was the worst ethnic cleansings and atrocities committed and sanctioned by mankind sanctioned by God. And about Job’s suffering for the sake of God wanted to prove a point. There is just too much suffering and pain inflicted to mankind to be explained that God is loving and just and he cries for us yet sit on the sideline to let Satan ravages his children in such hideous way and for so long. And the standard response to suffering is that suffering is good for us made little sense as it destroyed me instead of strengthening me. These are answers that I found unsatisfactory.

I researched other ex-Christians’ experience that I can find. There are not too many, but I did find a web site with a good library of testimonies (https://infidels.org/library/modern/testimonials/) . A few of them were written in such depth and width of reasoning and emotions that I found it both comforting and assuring. Assuring in that I am not alone in the struggle. What I noticed, however, are many who walked away from the faith made smooth transition into atheism and live a happy life. Dilemma I am in is that I still believe in God who is still the mighty, powerful and omnipresent God just like the Psalmists said. But I cannot reconcile him with the God I once thought as loving and just. Is it too much for God to grant me a few hours of restful sleep, a small bread crumb? Based entirely on my personal experience, the attributes I can associated with God now are: insatiable obsession with glory, egotistical, unforgiving, absentee father, bi-polar personalities (as a God of wrath OT vs God of love in NT), insensitive and callous.

Path Forward:

From1981 to 1999 I was a Seventh Day Adventist. The book of Revelation influenced my thinking. With so many problems mankind is facing on different fronts - environmental, food and water shortage, international and cultural change, I have this foreboding that the world is moving toward the apocalyptic end as the book predicted. Maybe it will happen in my lifetime. Despite my negative view of God, I still believe in his sovereignty over mankind. Psalm 144:1 is the verse that continues to keep my hope alive “Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trained my finger for battles and my hand for war”. My spiritual pilot light is the expectation that the experiences, no matter how odd, is God’s way to prepare a person for dark days ahead. The Biblical character Samson will be a better metaphor for me and more parallel my journey. Samson was never a faithful servant, but more a wanton and undisciplined person that somehow God still use to do his work. Ultimately his shortcoming and personal failing (like my inability to overcome impurity sin, pride and gluttony) led Samson to his demise. But in the end, God found a way to use him to serve him one more time. God has invested in me, all the training in information technology and other skills. My path forward is to enrich myself with other practical skills like urban farming, emergency medical services, radio communication, auto repair that one day when the dark day arrive, I can serve God’s community in a tangible way. It is hard not to verbally express my anger at God. But I will try to keep the peace by not offending him and keep the 2nd part of the commandment – to love your neighbors. I no longer concern myself with not going to heaven. As I am going down to hell by not following Christ anymore, I will have a lot of companies. When the notion of this eternal reward is taken out from my expectation, I feel liberated.

As God is infallible, I must conclude my current spiritual demise are all self-afflicted with the three transgressions (purity, gluttony, pride/vanity) being the core failures. These I confessed to God for forgiveness and renewal. I did try to be good but trying is not good enough. I hope, with his mercy and grace, I can read back the post I made today and laugh at my own ignorance and recognize how much God loves me. And proclaim all these peculiar experiences of life are, as Romans 8:28 said, all for my own good. And God is the loving and just God I used to believe he is.

Sincerely, Josh (1036 Feb 25 2018)

Upvote 0

SpiritSong

The LORD is my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2018
Southeastern United States
✟148,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
First Name (if you want): I like to go by SK
Children and/or pets: Angel, my Guinea Pig and a 10 gallon aquarium

Favorite Color: Green
Favorite Food: Corn chips and bean/cheese/tomato/bell peppers Dip
Hobbies: crocheting, painting,
Dislikes/pet peeves: People posting with the intent to annoy or provoke

Ministry Involvement: Spiritual Growth person for our church's women's group
Bible Translation:
Matthew 27:52-54 Amplified Bible (AMP)
52 The tombs were opened, and many bodies of the saints (God’s people) who had fallen asleep [in death] were raised [to life]; 53 and coming out of the tombs after His resurrection, they entered the holy city (Jerusalem) and appeared to many people. 54 Now the centurion, and those who were with him keeping guard over Jesus, when they saw the earthquake and the things that were happening, they were terribly frightened and filled with awe, and said, “Truly this was the Son of God!”

Bible Verse(s): 1 Corinthians 13 (The Love Chapter)
Hymns or other Christian songs: Amazing Grace

Interesting Factoid #1: I took care of a man who was 99 yrs old.
Interesting Factoid #2: I own no TV or car.
Interesting Factoid #3: I did not learn to speak until I was 4 nor read till my second time through the 3rd grade.
Interesting Factoid #4: None the less, I love to read!
Interesting Factoid #5: I like classical harp music.

I joined CF a few wks ago.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TammyinGA

Apr 29, 2018
Georgia
✟7,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Upvote 0

TammyinGA

Apr 29, 2018
Georgia
✟7,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
First Name (if you want): Tammy
Children and/or pets: 4 daughter

Favorite Color: Blue
Favorite Food: Mexican
Hobbies: Traveling, Antiquing
Dislikes/pet peeves: Rude arrogance

Bible Translation: NIV
Bible Verse(s): Psalm 146
Hymns or other Christian songs: Holy Spirit, How Great Thou Art, Mary Did You Know?

Reactions: SpiritSong
Upvote 0

Kayann246

May 26, 2018
Ann Arbor
✟11,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
First Name (if you want): Kay
Children and/or pets: 2 kids, 1 cat and 1 dog

Favorite Color: Red
Favorite Food: Asian food
Hobbies: Yoga and gardening
Dislikes/pet peeves: Prejudice people

Ministry Involvement All aspect of the technical side
Bible Translation:
Bible Verse(s): Too many
Hymns or other Christian songs: O Come to the Altar

Upvote 0