Discussion Matthew 8:16 Jesus and the healed paralytic were house owners.

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,930.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Looking at Matthew 8:16, Jesus and the paralytic according to Moses law, owned houses of their own, true? They lowered him through the roof to Jesus. They hated paying tax to the Romans.

As a Catholic boy I was wrongly taught and not in keeping with the catechism that to be right being poor was the way, and there was the example of Mother Theresa of Calcutta, taken out of context. And you could not be an inventor, you had to work hard to make an average wage.

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,722.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Looking at Matthew 8:16, Jesus and the paralytic according to Moses law, owned houses of their own, true? They lowered him through the roof to Jesus. They hated paying tax to the Romans.

As a Catholic boy I was wrongly taught and not in keeping with the catechism that to be right being poor was the way, and there was the example of Mother Theresa of Calcutta, taken out of context. And you could not be an inventor, you had to work hard to make an average wage.

Jesus' family owned a house at least to start with. But Jesus himself said that he "had no place to lay his head" indicating that he didn't own a home.

Speaking as a Catholic, there is nothing wrong with being financially prosperous. Wealth is a good thing. However, all good things can also become temptations. Food is good, but food can also be a temptation to gluttony. So wealth is good, but it can be a temptation to greed and many other sins.
Most of all, money can easily become an idol that we put higher than God.
Some Christians, like Mother Theresa, or St. Francis, are called to poverty in order to better serve God and their fellow man.

Other Christians are given wealth, and ought to use their wealth to serve God and their fellow man.
There is nothing wrong with owning things, so long as your things don't begin to own you.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,930.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Jesus' family owned a house at least to start with. But Jesus himself said that he "had no place to lay his head" indicating that he didn't own a home.

Speaking as a Catholic, there is nothing wrong with being financially prosperous. Wealth is a good thing. However, all good things can also become temptations. Food is good, but food can also be a temptation to gluttony. So wealth is good, but it can be a temptation to greed and many other sins.
Most of all, money can easily become an idol that we put higher than God.
Some Christians, like Mother Theresa, or St. Francis, are called to poverty in order to better serve God and their fellow man.

Other Christians are given wealth, and ought to use their wealth to serve God and their fellow man.
There is nothing wrong with owning things, so long as your things don't begin to own you.
Jesus must have had somewhere to lay his head as a boy, and unless He did not sleep, He had somewhere to sleep. His head rested. He didn't literally have no where to rest His head. According Moses' law, with the year of Jubilee, each Hebrew inherited land. Unless He sold His land, mud house and kept the money for travels, Jesus owned a house and His mother needed one. Jesus healed Peter's mother in law, they all had houses and some had boats, in which for example, below deck, Jesus slept during the storm. It needs interpretation, what is meant by "no where to rest His head."

I think Jesus was referring to the obsolete, itinerant Rabbi model. Just one shirt and a wallet, sandals... Not a presbyter, later came the Evangelist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Jesus must have had somewhere to lay his head as a boy, and unless He did not sleep, He had somewhere to sleep. His head rested. He didn't literally have no where to rest His head. According Moses' law, with the year of Jubilee, each Hebrew inherited land. Unless He sold His land, mud house and kept the money for travels, Jesus owned a house and His mother needed one. Jesus healed Peter's mother in law, they all had houses and some had boats, in which for example, below deck, Jesus slept during the storm. It need interpretation, what is meant by "no where to rest His head."
We need to ask who did Jesus say this to? He said it to one who showed interest in following him and basically said while you're in ministry you're going to be on the move or you've got to be willing to be so if God tells you to. It will pretty much seem that your home is of no fixed location but I'm not sure it had to mean that literally he didn't own some type of dwelling in Nazareth or Capernaum. He may not of but I don't consider it has to be taken literally "no where to rest his head". I suggest he might have just meant that as a figure of speech.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,722.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Jesus must have had somewhere to lay his head as a boy, and unless He did not sleep, He had somewhere to sleep. His head rested. He didn't literally have no where to rest His head. According Moses' law, with the year of Jubilee, each Hebrew inherited land. Unless He sold His land, mud house and kept the money for travels, Jesus owned a house and His mother needed one. Jesus healed Peter's mother in law, they all had houses and some had boats, in which for example, below deck, Jesus slept during the storm. It need interpretation, what is meant by "no where to rest His head."

Yes, as I said. His family owned a home. Joseph and Mary had a house that Jesus grew up in.
When he began his ministry, he no longer had a home because he travelled all over the country and he stayed in the homes of friends and followers.

The fact that he slept places, doesn't mean he personally owned all of the places where he slept.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,930.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Yes, as I said. His family owned a home. Joseph and Mary had a house that Jesus grew up in.
When he began his ministry, he no longer had a home because he travelled all over the country and he stayed in the homes of friends and followers.

The fact that he slept places, doesn't mean he personally owned all of the places where he slept.
I think I heard from a preaching back in 1992 from Fr E Tardiff MSC, that if they were permitted to open the roof above Jesus, and damage the house, that it must have been Jesus house. I agree He did not own all the houses He slept in.

Upvote 0